snow driving questions.. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on snow driving questions.. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I disagree. but in 99.9% of instances it doesn't matter....

I disagree.
    but in 99.9% of instances it doesn't matter.
    2009 WRX - South Denver, CO

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Very generally, you want to keep your wheel speed up in snow, down in ice. Add snow on top of ice and drive like a granny on ether.

Like others have mentioned wheels get traction under power, the trick is to find the balance between too much and too little power so your tires bite, rather than sliding out from under you.

Find a nice empty, snow covered and icy parking lot to figure out what your car does under different scenarios. We have everything from deep powder, ice, slush to hard packed snow here 4 months of the year; everyone seems to forget how to drive during the first couple of weeks of winter
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Quote Originally Posted by SaskatoonSubaru View Post
    Wow that really isn't true. Well anti-lock brakes won't stop you like you were driving on summer roads. It will stop you quicker then no ABS.
    Absolutely not true at all. I've taught thousands of people to brake better and in shorter distances without ABS than with ABS, in dry AND wet conditions as Skippy instructor. In the same car with a switch that turns the ABS off. ABS just allows for directional control in a panic situation for the bulk of the population that have never even thought about accident avoidance manuevers, much less actually PRACTICED them.

Another funny thing about ABS, ALOT of people don't even use enough brake pressure to engage it. Happens all the time in the braking exercises for our schools. First thing we do is braking with the ABS still on and half the group, 3- 4 people, take quite a few tries before they build enough enough brake pressure to even activate the ABS. Too many people think that ABS wil do all the work for you for a good, quick stop and that they don't even need alot of pedal pressure to make it happen. You'd be amazed at alot of the "normal" driving habits of the bulk of the general population you observe when you instuct driving / racing schools day after day.

Quote Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
    Absolutely not true at all. I've taught thousands of people to brake better and in shorter distances without ABS than with ABS, in dry AND wet conditions as Skippy instructor. In the same car with a switch that turns the ABS off. ABS just allows for directional control in a panic situation for the bulk of the population that have never even thought about accident avoidance manuevers, much less actually PRACTICED them.

Another funny thing about ABS, ALOT of people don't even use enough brake pressure to engage it. Happens all the time in the braking exercises for our schools. First thing we do is braking with the ABS still on and half the group, 3- 4 people, take quite a few tries before they build enough enough brake pressure to even activate the ABS. Too many people think that ABS wil do all the work for you for a good, quick stop and that they don't even need alot of pedal pressure to make it happen. You'd be amazed at alot of the "normal" driving habits of the bulk of the general population you observe when you instuct driving / racing schools day after day.
    I'm gonna agree here. The ABS on my WRX engages way too easily on snowy roads. I will be pulling the ABS fuse for the remainder of the winter.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilSine View Post
    I'm gonna agree here. The ABS on my WRX engages way too easily on snowy roads. I will be pulling the ABS fuse for the remainder of the winter.
    I agree... I don't know if I'll pull the fuse though...
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I agree... I don't know if I'll pull the fuse though...
    definately not, abs will help more then just locking up the brakes...thats for sure.
    bugeye maffia member #304 l http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_fonseca/

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
    definately not, abs will help more then just locking up the brakes...thats for sure.
    You may feel they help you more but I know they don't help me to stop better. I know the limitations of my car and my abilities to control it. With that in mind I also know that the ABS system in my car makes for much greater stopping distances in heavy snow and especially on roads with packed snow on top of dirt. I live on dirt roads and choose not to sacrifice my ability to stop safely at the whim of an engineer that designed a system that does not take my situation into account.

I'm not saying ABS is completely useless but rather that it is limited in certain circumstances and heavy snow happens to be one of those circumstances. They do well in rain and simple reduced traction conditions.

Winter tire & wheel packages

Any advice out there on good tire+wheel packages for 2010 WRX? I saw this one on tire rack:
    TireRack.com Search Winter / Snow Tires By Vehicle at Tire Rack
    It's for 16" Blizzack WS6, not sure what the wheels are like.

Is it worthwhile to go for 17" wheels and tires in the winter?

Whether the preferred package is 16" or 17", is there a go to package that most people typically purchase?

personally i would go with the old wrx tire size the 205 55 16... no point spending extra money for 17's when the weather conditions dont let you get the most out of the tires anyways.

as for what tires i've heard nothing but great things about the blizzaks you were looking at and they're a good price. although i've never owned them myself

i used to have the pirelli winter carving's and they were spectacular in deep snow but underperformed a bit on ice

i now have michelin primacy alpin PA3's and they're spectacular on ice and slush and wet conditions even in ridiculously cold temperatures but they arent as good in deep snow as the pirellis

i've driven a lot of cars with the dunlop graspic's too and for the price they are spectacular

-Alex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123