first time subaru owner

This is a discussion on first time subaru owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hello all, im a first time subaru owner and jsut looking for some advise. i used to drive an integra ...

first time subaru owner

hello all, im a first time subaru owner and jsut looking for some advise. i used to drive an integra gsr. i jsut bought an 02 wrx with some miles on it 100,000 though it is in great condition. im not looking to do a whole bunch of work to it, a turbo back exhaust, intake, blowoff and maybe light suspension. jsut looking for some advise and direction to good products for it. currently looking at the tanabe concept g blue full turboback and not sure what intake or anything else. so feel free to educate me on some knowledge please, thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    welcome. subarus are NOTHING like hondas/acuras when it comes to modding.

NO BOV's!!

read this:
    "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged)

this:
    Here is what happens when you dont replace your up pipe. - NASIOC

this:
    Yes, you need an EM for engine mods

and this:
    Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

what you should look into (a very simple set up for a pretty nice power gain)

turboback exhaust, catless uppipe, engine management.

bugeyes (02/03 models) dont NEED engine management, but to get full power gains from the exhaust, it's highly recommended.

also, before you even start modding i'd do a FULL check on the vehicle and make sure it's up to date on all maintenance. if the timing belt hasn't been changed already i'd look into doing it (recommended changing is @ 105k)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

this is my first turbo car so im not turbo savvy. no intake? and the up pipe has a cat on it? and what is a good engine management?
    Last edited by CosmoThunder; 12-06-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmoThunder View Post
    this is my first turbo car so im not turbo savvy. no intake? and the up pipe has a cat on it? and what is a good engine management?

The Cobb Accessport, and an intake is personal preference in my book its your car do what you want to it but if you want it to last take the advice from current subie owners

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CosmoThunder View Post
    1) it's not that you cant have an intake, it's just that there are SO MANY different ones. some are poorly made, some require tuning, some CAI risks are sucking up water, some SRI risks are pulling in hot air, etc etc.

i personally have a turbo XS SRI on my car. they're known to not mess with the A/F ratio. several companies have promised this. whether or not you want to do your own research on the topic would be completely up to you

2) yes the UP on 03-05 wrx's have cats. all sti's and 06+ wrx's do not.

3) there are so many types of EM, it just depends on what you need and your budget.

for example you can get a handheld tuner (cobb accessport) if you buy them used they're anywhere between 300-500$. these come with preloaded "off the shelf maps" that you can choose from, depending on your mods. ie: stage 1 (stock, or catback) stage 2: (turboback exhaust w/ stock or COBB intake), etc etc.

if you dont want to use the basic maps you can get a "protune" which is getting tuned with your accessport by a professional tuner. this is the most expensive route because you have to pay for the AP (accessport) & the tune itself which could be another 200 or so.

other EM options:

opensource tuning by a professional tuner in your area (this would be the best option. it's the cheapest and will get you the most HP out of your mods)

buying a tatrix cable & hooking it up to a laptop. you can buy maps off of the internet to use

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Very Informative Diagram my dear bravo bravo this is the kind of resourceful information all newcomers should see pictures speak louder than words and generally when someone can see how something operates they can get a better understanding from it than just reading that is a very well illustrated diagram once again she is completely correct and very knowledgeable it would be very wise to heed her words of advice because i totally agree with everything she is saying, its all research and preference.