new 2010 WRX sedan owner-IA

This is a discussion on new 2010 WRX sedan owner-IA within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello, I just traded in my beloved '08 red Mazdaspeed 3 GT for a 2010 blue WRX sedan. I loved ...

new 2010 WRX sedan owner-IA

Hello,

I just traded in my beloved '08 red Mazdaspeed 3 GT for a 2010 blue WRX sedan. I loved everything about the MS3 except the FWD and the torque steer. I previously drove an '01 Audi S4, and I underestimated how much I would miss AWD. The cold and snowy Iowa winters also influenced my decision. I will be picking up my new WRX tomorrow.

I wanted to introduce myself here. I have already spent a long time reading here, and plan to spend much more. Be ready for my newbie questions .

In case anyone is interested about my test drive impressions vs the MS3, here it goes: The WRX had a somewhat softer ride. They were equally noisy inside (WRX has the SPT exhaust), but I liked the boxer sound better at high RPM's, and the WRX was less boomy at coasting. My "butt dyno" felt the MS3 as slightly faster though, but I had the MS3 intake which put me around 280 hp, plus more low end torque. But the difference was not that bad that I felt I was getting a car that was much slower. In fact, with the better traction, I expect better performance.

The WRX stereo is horrible. However, I am getting the subwoofer put in for free later. We'll see how that works. In any case, a stereo doesn't make or break the car for me.

The clutch seemed a little tricky for me, I even stalled once. But I guess that's true for all cars one is not accustomed to. As for the gearbox, it's less notchy and less weighed than the MS3. Neither one is better, just different. I prefer the WRX knob; the metallic MS3 knob gets too hot in summer and too cold in winter.

Finally, being tall, I was happy to find out that I fit as well in the WRX as in the MS3, though perhaps the person sitting behind me will have a tiny less leg room in the WRX.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats.
    Yes the Subaru stereo absolutely stinks.
    The subwoofer won't help, just makes more bass, but does not improve sound or sound quality.
    It's a shame Subaru can't put a better stereo in the WRX. It would cost them at most a couple hundred bucks.

As for your butt dyno, give your WRX time to break in, it will feel a bit quicker.
    And your intake on your MS3 gives pretty decent power improvements. Similar to what a Cobb AP Stage 1 flash will do for the WRX. Get that and you'll be on a level playing field for power and butt dyno feel.

Funny what you said about clutch and shifter.

I test drove the 2010 MS3 twice before getting the WRX. I felt the MS3's clutch was too grabby. Was not progressive in the slightest. Made it difficult to make smooth getaways. You'd begin to release the clutch and nothing for first inch or two, then suddenly it would grab and lurch you forward.
    Several days later I drove the new WRX's and the clutch take up was so much smoother and progressive it made for easy getaways.

I also felt opposite as you about the shifter.
    My WRX had the STI Short Throw installed but the WRX I first drove did not.
    I felt the MS3's shifter was more "buttery" and smooth, and the WRX's more notchy and "gated" feeling. Like you said, neither was better or worse, just different. Honda seems to have shifter feel down, precise, direct and smooth, but with a connected feel.

The MS3 is a great little car, but as you said, FWD is a terrible platform for a "performance" car, especially one that makes more than 250 lbs ft of torque.
    I think Mazda took the wrong approach with tuning that car. They needed to make it 280 hp and 263 lbs-ft of torque, not the other way around like they did. That way they'd have more mid to high rpm horsepower and less low to mid rpm torque and the accompanying torque steer.

Enjoy your new ride.

Registered User SaskatoonSubaru's Avatar
    Enjoy the car my friend, well the stereo does leave a little to be desired, It's a blast to drive. I picked up my 2010 WRX Limited last week.

Quote Originally Posted by SaskatoonSubaru View Post
    Enjoy the car my friend, well the stereo does leave a little to be desired, It's a blast to drive. I picked up my 2010 WRX Limited last week.

Thanks. On second note, after driving it for a while I think the SPT exhaust is louder and boomier than the Mazda's. Oh, and I got mine in blue like your's!

With that good engine sound, who needs a stereo?

The short throw shifter with the optional rear SPT bushing does make a huge improvement. Enjoy the car and make sure you read about the breakend period in the owners manaul.

Hey man congrats.. I just got a 2010 WRX last week.. But I am from the Quad Cities.. I have the short throw shifter but I am not sure if the shifter bushings were installed at that time.. (anyone have a clue how to verify or not??) but.. I went from a 03 Celica 6 speed and yeah the clutch has a lot more travel to it, and the shifter is a little "less precise".. I have the 4 door in black..