hi, got some questions

This is a discussion on hi, got some questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hi, first of all, i don't own an wrx yet, but am in the process of looking for an 04 ...

hi, got some questions

hi, first of all, i don't own an wrx yet, but am in the process of looking for an 04 wrx wagon. Planning to do for exterior: STI bumper splitter, painted side skirt, lower car for about an inch, STI bbs rims. Performance wise i only plan to do the exhaust. My questions are:

Would the 04 sti down pipe fits the 04 wagons?
    If it does, with the sti down pipe and the stromung 3" mid pipe with 2.5/3" dual tip exhaust i am planning to add, would i need a tune the car or the stock ecu can handle the light modification i described? I have read another article on this website, that someone switch to stromung exhaust also, but didn't need a tune. Would the addition of the sti down pipe makes a tune necessary?

Thank you for reading.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chun View Post
    hi, first of all, i don't own an wrx yet, but am in the process of looking for an 04 wrx wagon. Planning to do for exterior: STI bumper splitter, painted side skirt, lower car for about an inch, STI bbs rims. Performance wise i only plan to do the exhaust. My questions are:

If it does, with the sti down pipe and the stromung 3" mid pipe with 2.5/3" dual tip exhaust i am planning to add, would i need a tune the car or the stock ecu can handle the light modification i described? I have read another article on this website, that someone switch to stromung exhaust also, but didn't need a tune. Would the addition of the sti down pipe makes a tune necessary?

Thank you for reading.
    i believe all exhausts are interchangable throughout the years.

as far as needing a tune- yes. all 04+ wrx models must have a tune with the addition of a full exhaust (catback + downpipe)
    Yes, you need an EM for engine mods

Engine Management FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

you also need to look into doing a catless uppipe.
    Here is what happens when you dont replace your up pipe. - NASIOC

also, dont forget you can ONLY use 04 sti wheels. 05+ changed the bolt pattern to 5x114.3 instead of 5x100.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chun

Thank you for reading.
    If you're talking about the OEM downpipe, considering it's the same exact part, of course it will. If you're talking about the OEM piece, no tune would be required.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i believe all exhausts are interchangable throughout the years.

as far as needing a tune- yes. all 04+ wrx models must have a tune with the addition of a full exhaust (catback + downpipe)
    Yes, you need an EM for engine mods

Engine Management FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

you also need to look into doing a catless uppipe.
    Here is what happens when you dont replace your up pipe. - NASIOC

also, dont forget you can ONLY use 04 sti wheels. 05+ changed the bolt pattern to 5x114.3 instead of 5x100.
    ok, i am really looking to avoid to tune since i don't want to spend money to tune it just for that little bit of mod. How about just the catback then? no downpipe upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If you're talking about the OEM downpipe, considering it's the same exact part, of course it will. If you're talking about the OEM piece, no tune would be required.
    So you are saying that the sti oem downpipe and the wrx oem downpipe are the same? Did not knw that, i guess i will just keep the stock wrx one then. Thanks

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by chun View Post
    ok, i am really looking to avoid to tune since i don't want to spend money to tune it just for that little bit of mod. How about just the catback then? no downpipe upgrade?
    no tune is required for a catback but you will not get any power increase.

Honestly a tbe and tune is the best thing you can do other than upgrading the turbo. It's not just 5hp or so that your gaining. It can be close to 40-50. After going stage two my car felt like a whole other animal. It's MORE than worth it.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Have you considered the Cobb AP? If you are looking to avoid a tune you can run a TBE with an OTS map. You however will not see max results without a tune. But assuming you are on a budget, used AP's could be had for a few hundred dollars.
    Jay for Justin.

Facebooook

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx jay
    Have you considered the Cobb AP? If you are looking to avoid a tune you can run a TBE with an OTS map. You however will not see max results without a tune. But assuming you are on a budget, used AP's could be had for a few hundred dollars.
    So can a road tune, which as long as the tuner is worth anything, will be a better, safer, more powerful map.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC