Buying a 2002 WRX tomorrow.

This is a discussion on Buying a 2002 WRX tomorrow. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I found a 2002 Black WRX with 110,000 miles that hasn't had the Timing Belt replaced yet, so I offered ...

Buying a 2002 WRX tomorrow.

I found a 2002 Black WRX with 110,000 miles that hasn't had the Timing Belt replaced yet, so I offered the guy $5800 and he said he'd take it.

Everything seems to sound okay, no knocking, the AC works, it handles well, boost kicks in like it should (I've driven a couple before), brakes work well, clutch engages smoothly, etc... The only thing that is not stock that I am weary about is the Cold Air intake that he has going into the fender and the eBay muffler that he bought. Although I'd doubt the muffler is hurting much, the intake worries me a bit.

When I'm slowly raising the RPM's it makes a fluttering sound which I was told by the dealership head mechanic that it's most likely just "wastegate flutter".

I'm buying it tomorrow (only because, where the hell else am I going to buy a WRX for under $6k?) and I'd like to hear your input on it.

The shop recommended getting the water pump, thermostat and something else replaced while replacing the timing belt. What would you all recommend as far as replacements when getting a new timing belt?

Oh, and "wastegate flutter" shouldn't be a problem, correct? Like I said the turbo feels to kick in just as solid as a 2003 that I drove the other day.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Timing belt, water pump, oil seals, spark plugs, fuel filter, radiator hoses and drive belts.

Car seems to be a good deal. Clear title?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Nope... Someone hit the rear end... cracked the back left brake light, bent up the rear bumper... he rolled into the car in front and bent up the front end... Nothing major, all of the pictures look like he hit the guy in front around 5-10mph.

What about the thermostat?

I'm really just looking to get everything that I can't really do in my driveway done by the dealership.

Plugs I can do myself... Unless this engine is a pain in the ass? I've never worked on a Subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by enpe View Post
    What about the thermostat?

I'm really just looking to get everything that I can't really do in my driveway done by the dealership.

Plugs I can do myself... Unless this engine is a pain in the ass? I've never worked on a Subaru.
    plugs are not bad the wrx is nice to work on something,s are still a pain but long as you keep your cool win working on it you can do just about anything you need to on it.

I want to know what you would get done from the dealership in order to assure yourself that the car will last at least another 50k miles.

I'm really trying to stay under $1400 in maintenance.

I'm a subie owner nowww

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by enpe View Post
    I'm a subie owner nowww
    Congrats! Now get a HUGE Freakin turbo!

What'd you decide on for maintenance?

At that age I'd replace ALL fluids as well, unless there are detailed maintenance records.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Congrats! Now get a HUGE Freakin turbo!

What'd you decide on for maintenance?

At that age I'd replace ALL fluids as well, unless there are detailed maintenance records.
    +5

I would have the 90k or whatever big service needs done. All fluids changed. New plugs and fuel filter. That's about all you really need

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC