Harmonic Balancer
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Harmonic Balancer within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; The crank pulley/harmonic balancer on my 03 wrx seems to be done for. The OE part is 8 but I ...

Harmonic Balancer

The crank pulley/harmonic balancer on my 03 wrx seems to be done for. The OE part is $288 but I have found lightweight crank pulleys from perrin and cobb for less than half the price. I am trying to catch myself up to speed on how the harmonic balancer works exactly (I know their purpose, just not how they physically work) and am curious what problems could come from simply bolting on a lightened crank pulley on a daily driven car. Any input is helpful. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Follow the link, but how do you know there is a problem with your existing pulley, and what caused that problem?
    Pulley FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subcon View Post
    The crank pulley/harmonic balancer on my 03 wrx seems to be done for. The OE part is $288 but I have found lightweight crank pulleys from perrin and cobb for less than half the price. I am trying to catch myself up to speed on how the harmonic balancer works exactly (I know their purpose, just not how they physically work) and am curious what problems could come from simply bolting on a lightened crank pulley on a daily driven car. Any input is helpful. Thanks.
    Luckily for you, the WRX does not have or need a harmonic balancer. The Crank Pulley is not a harmonic balancer. There are quite a few threads on here explaining that, including the one that Dan (SDGR) just gave you.

If you don't have a lightweight flywheel, then a lightweight pulley from cobb, or perrin would be a great addition. It'll reduce gas mileage, reduce rotational inertia on the crank, which allows for a quicker acceleration of the engine!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

After a trip on a trailer to the shop I work in, and about 30 minutes worth of turning wrenches have determined that the crank pulley is fine but long story short, spun a bearing, metal shavings, ruined crankshaft. Bottom end rebuild is starting tomorrow. Thanks anyway for the speedy responses.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subcon View Post
    After a trip on a trailer to the shop I work in, and about 30 minutes worth of turning wrenches have determined that the crank pulley is fine but long story short, spun a bearing, metal shavings, ruined crankshaft. Bottom end rebuild is starting tomorrow. Thanks anyway for the speedy responses.
    If you have to rebuild... get forged pistons
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

To all that wonder and query, anything with a metallic ring-elastometer-metal hub material sandwich pulley at the front of the crank snout is in part a harmonic reducer-balancer-oscillation damper!!!

All engines that utilise a crankshaft, rods, and Pistons for power happen to be in an elastic system that when at work will; regardless of the type of engine 1 cyl-4 cyl-8 cyl-12 cyl... with reciprocating moving parts; will create harmonics withing it's system that includes the boxer engine, specially at the higher power end, 350-850 Hp..

All this reciprocating combustion process engines need a means of taming those minor and major harmonics, the order of the harmonics present in any one engine will depend on the number of cylinders 1-4-8-12 cylinder setups..

And yes... I went through the same issues, though my answer came from the old engine design books and many years of engine design and building.

You can run any engine without balancer/dampeners though "balancers" have more to do with physically balancing inernally unbalanced rotary assembly's such as some heavy American V8s.

Dampeners are more to do with eradicating harmonic issues which all reciprocating engines have and that also means inherently dynamically balanced opposing piston engines such as The WRX Subaru engine..

In short.. All Subaru engines benefit from dampners such as the original rubber compound sandwich unit that comes with all our cars, the after market manufacturers have replacement units, then there is the top end with ATI, Fluidampr and Aussie sourced Ross metal jacket.

If you want your bearings to survive, then use a harmonic damper, if you want iffi at best bearing life but enjoy the marginal improvement in rate of engine acceleration that might be hard to asses then take a chance in light weight aluminium units your choice..
    Last edited by RABBBWRX; 03-15-2015 at 10:15 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RABBBWRX View Post
    To all that wonder and query, anything with a metallic ring-elastometer-metal hub material sandwich pulley at the front of the crank snout is in part a harmonic reducer-balancer-oscillation damper!!! {SNIP}
    If you want your bearings to survive, then use a harmonic damper, if you want iffi at best bearing life but enjoy the marginal improvement in rate of engine acceleration then take a chance in light weight aluminium units your choice..
    The engine maker disagrees regarding whether the stock engine is fitted with a harmonic damper:

"Thank you for your patience as I checked with our Technical Services Department regarding your message below. They advised that the crank pulley is a pulley and nothing else. It is not used as a harmonic damper/balancer.

Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Best wishes,

John J. Mergen
    Customer Service Department
    Subaru of America, Inc."

That said, I'm not one to bother swapping the stock crank pulley out anyway, as I see little benefit in doing so and I don't trust imitation parts. In that sense (in fact, in any sense whatsoever) it actually doesn't matter whether the stock pulley is a harmonic damper or not, I suppose.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	night-of-the-living-thread.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	189377

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.