i need advice!

This is a discussion on i need advice! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ok so when i shift i can hear a small clunk noise. shifting just doesnt feel as smooth as i ...

i need advice!

ok so when i shift i can hear a small clunk noise.
    shifting just doesnt feel as smooth as i would like it to.
    is there anything i can do more a smoother process...not as i technique cuz ive ben driving stick for 3 years and i got it down, but i mean any mods that will make shifting smoother?...
    thanks for you help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Short throw shift kit and upgraded bushings is a common and well liked mod around here. You may want to look into that.

Do remember though, Subaru's are known to have clunky transmissions, so it may make it a more precise and fluid shift, but it's probably still going to be a bit clunky.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

ya i have a short throw..well i think they guy i bought it from put it in....its pretty short...
    ya i guess i should just shift a little slower when casually driving.
    thanks man

Is this your first all wheel drive car? The shifting/ clutch characteristics are pretty different from 2wd cars. I have been driving manual cars/ trucks for 10+ years and the Subaru took some getting used to. Im still not smooth 100% of the time but I have improved a lot in the last month.

ya its my first all wheel, but ive had it for about 3-4 months now so im getting pretty used to it.
    same with me, its pretty smooth but not all the time.

You need to learn when to wait between shifts, or how to very smoothly engage and disengage the clutch. It's about torque loads and your drivetrain. The very fact that you recognize things could be better is how you will learn to remedy this. Just keep at it until it feels right.

A lightweight crank pulley can help the engine move through the rev's a little faster in both directions.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

ya ima work on it.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_boy02 View Post
    Is this your first all wheel drive car? The shifting/ clutch characteristics are pretty different from 2wd cars. I have been driving manual cars/ trucks for 10+ years and the Subaru took some getting used to. Im still not smooth 100% of the time but I have improved a lot in the last month.
    Agreed I came from driving FWD standards RWD Standards and even Jeeps and the Subaru Driving Characteristics are very different from any normal ordinary 5/6 spd standard transmission car. Im not sure how the WRX's drive or if they are similar in anyway to the STi's. But I noticed when I changed my gear oil and rear diff fluid to Motul Synthetic Fluids that it shifted with less strain and or noise