Just bought my first WRX! Questions already?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

This is a discussion on Just bought my first WRX! Questions already? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey everyone. I just bought my first WRX a few days ago- a 2010 hatchback. And of course I'm already ...

  1. #1
    Registered User Dsibbrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    25

    Just bought my first WRX! Questions already?

    Hey everyone. I just bought my first WRX a few days ago- a 2010 hatchback. And of course I'm already making some short term and long term modification plans. My first question is, why does the hatch only have a single exhaust upgrade while the sedan has dual? Is there something underneath that's different and blocks the dual path on the hatch? Has anyone out there put a dual exhaust on a new hatch?
    Thanks and see you all around!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User Lt.Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ligonier, PA
    Posts
    38
    I was able to put on the Gymkana Exhaust from Crawford Performance. It is for the STI but since my '09 is one also it bolted right up. The only thing I had to do was cut little spaces out on the black diffuser with a little mini hacksaw. It looks and sounds great though. I ordered the perrin downpipe and mid and s pipe on that halloween sale they had and saved 400 bucks. I can't wait to bolt the rest on and move to stage 2. I just got the Cold Air Intake put on yesterday with the maps from perrin too for the AP and that thing sounds sweet.

  4. #3
    Registered User Dsibbrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    25
    Thanks Lt Dan! Could you maybe post a picture of your cut out modification? I thought about it but am a little frightened because once it's done- it's DONE. If it's not too much trouble.

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    112
    are you sure its not rev matching?

    my tl rev matches between shifts. i can be in third gear, press the clutch and hold it, the revs will stop where they should be in 4th gear, for smoother shifts

  6. #5
    Registered User Lt.Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ligonier, PA
    Posts
    38
    I've been wanting to put pics up but I don't have a camera to do it with or phone. Whenever I can get one I will post it though. The sound is pretty close to the clip on crawford's website. The only thing is the cost, it's 500 just for the gymkana which is only an axle back, you then need the mid and s pipe and downpipe to have a full turboback. To me it was worth the extra money because I love the sound of it. I cut the plastic the easiest way I could, just straight lines around the tips. I'm thinking about pulling the whole black piece off to give it more of a rally look. I wish I could take the front underspoiler off the front but it's all one piece. I have scrapes all over the bottom of it because of pulling into parking spots with curbs. This is the first car I have bought since my very first car at 16. I've driven trucks until now.
    Last edited by Lt.Dan; 11-22-2009 at 11:44 AM.

  7. #6
    Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    843
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsibbrel View Post
    Hey everyone. I just bought my first WRX a few days ago- a 2010 hatchback. And of course I'm already making some short term and long term modification plans. My first question is, why does the hatch only have a single exhaust upgrade while the sedan has dual? Is there something underneath that's different and blocks the dual path on the hatch? Has anyone out there put a dual exhaust on a new hatch?
    Thanks and see you all around!
    Dumb question... Since the gain of any exhaust is really about air flow, I have noticed the dual exhaust tips on the sedans look like 1/2 the diameter of the tip on the hatch - so I assume similiar airflow. Where does the sedan break off into 2 pipes? I presume it is still one downpipe, then "y" pipes after the cat? If this is all correct, why would you want dual pipes? Isn't that more expensive? It certainly looks good for sure, but all else equal, I would stay with the cheaper solutions.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

  8. #7
    Registered User Dsibbrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Dumb question... Since the gain of any exhaust is really about air flow, I have noticed the dual exhaust tips on the sedans look like 1/2 the diameter of the tip on the hatch - so I assume similiar airflow. Where does the sedan break off into 2 pipes? I presume it is still one downpipe, then "y" pipes after the cat? If this is all correct, why would you want dual pipes? Isn't that more expensive? It certainly looks good for sure, but all else equal, I would stay with the cheaper solutions.
    Thanks for the "Welcome to the forum, have fun. We're a great bunch of people who share our experiences with others who have a similar interest in the same car in a polite and professional manner."

  9. #8
    Registered User tunk112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsibbrel View Post
    Thanks for the "Welcome to the forum, have fun. We're a great bunch of people who share our experiences with others who have a similar interest in the same car in a polite and professional manner."
    The way im reading it, mjboudreaux77 is saying what he asked is a dumb question. Doesn't look like he's referring to your question when he said that.

    And on a second note : "Welcome to the forum, have fun. We're a great bunch of people who share our experiences with others who have a similar interest in the same car in a polite and professional manner."

  10. #9
    Registered User Dsibbrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    25
    I hope not Tunk, although going back and rereading it again for the umpteenth time because I couldn't believe his response, it still seems to refer to my question. Oh well. Thanks for the welcome.

  11. #10
    Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    843
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsibbrel View Post
    Thanks for the "Welcome to the forum, have fun. We're a great bunch of people who share our experiences with others who have a similar interest in the same car in a polite and professional manner."
    my reference to "dumb question" was in regards to the statement/question that I followed that comment with.

    To be more blunt... My "dumb question" is why do you want to go with dual exhaust tips? For looks, or is there a performance gain I don't know about?

    In general, I don't think of myself as one to insult others, so I really apologize that my post was mis-understood.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

  12. #11
    Registered User Dsibbrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    25
    Well, thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate you coming back and making it straight. So the question still remains. Of course, helping the car breathe easier and faster will create more HP, and the hatchback and the sedan are rated the same HP, but the exhaust systems are different. Why? Why did Subaru create different exhaust systems for the same car and model? This is the first 4 cylinder engine I've owned. I've mostly had trucks where the x-pipes were always sought after because of the 2 manifolds and large displacement and sadly- stock 1-1/2" pipe(s). Maybe I should take this question to the tech forum area.

  13. #12
    Supporting Member mjboudreaux77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northern Vermont
    Posts
    843
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsibbrel View Post
    Well, thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate you coming back and making it straight. So the question still remains. Of course, helping the car breathe easier and faster will create more HP, and the hatchback and the sedan are rated the same HP, but the exhaust systems are different. Why? Why did Subaru create different exhaust systems for the same car and model? This is the first 4 cylinder engine I've owned. I've mostly had trucks where the x-pipes were always sought after because of the 2 manifolds and large displacement and sadly- stock 1-1/2" pipe(s). Maybe I should take this question to the tech forum area.
    Any luck on researching the answer? Now you have me curious. Looking at some American cars that have gone from dual, to single, back to dual - I found that the undercarriage was a big part of the issue. ie, did some part of the redesign actually hinder 2 pipes from coming all the way back? I also noticed that the 2010 legacy sedan went back to a single exhuast (4 cyl non-turbo) vs the 09 legacy that had dual.
    If I don't die by Thursday, I'll be roarin Friday night - Jimmy Buffett

  14. #13
    Registered User Poohbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    943
    Its all about looks with the wrx... Other apllications you may have better luck with dual, especially with V motor cars (v-8 v-10 v12 etc etc) and even more so using an X pipe or H pipe in moderate to low performance mod situations.

    There have been some speculation as to the dual actually causing some unwanted turbulence in the exhaust and making a minor performance decrease. I have only seen this once and it was on this forum but I dont wanna search for it sooo yeah I would take that with a grain of salt but it makes sense.

    For all intensive purposes its not really going to matter if your dual or not.

    hope this helps
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

    Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

  15. #14
    Registered User Dsibbrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by mjboudreaux77 View Post
    Any luck on researching the answer? Now you have me curious. Looking at some American cars that have gone from dual, to single, back to dual - I found that the undercarriage was a big part of the issue. ie, did some part of the redesign actually hinder 2 pipes from coming all the way back? I also noticed that the 2010 legacy sedan went back to a single exhuast (4 cyl non-turbo) vs the 09 legacy that had dual.
    I started this in another section Why two different exhausts?

    Mechanically speaking, a dual doesn't make sense on a four cylinder with a single turbo. With the size of the pipes on the single that come stock, it made me curious because I would think that Subaru would have done all the research and made a decision on price and performance. Does the dual have the same size pipes? Since the two cars are virtually the same, why have different exhausts? Did one outperform the other in MFG tests? Because dual is much more expensive, looks better, and, usually, on more cylinder engines works better by freeing up outflow. I would think, that single would be better unless you are pumping out much more outflow than the single can handle. It's also dual on the STi which makes me even more curious. Is 300HP a target to go for dual exhaust? Does 300HP create that much air flow that you need to free it up with a dual? Would a less restrictive singe pipe and/or muffler be better instead? (Cheaper for sure.) Would a single 3.5 inch pipe be better? I think it raises a lot of questions.

  16. #15
    Registered User 2w0r0x9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    LBI, NJ
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda View Post
    are you sure its not rev matching?

    my tl rev matches between shifts. i can be in third gear, press the clutch and hold it, the revs will stop where they should be in 4th gear, for smoother shifts
    are you sure your posting this respone in the right thread? because it is completely irrelevant to the whole thread...

    and you dont rev match when your upshifting only when your downshifting........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •