New 2009 WRX owner
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New 2009 WRX owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, I'm new to the site and new to the WRX. It was time to hand off my 95 ...

New 2009 WRX owner

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and new to the WRX. It was time to hand off my 95 legacy to my younger brother who just began driving and I picked up a 09 WRX to replace it. I've been lurking here and on NASIOC for a while now so I was sort of apprehensive about the purchase (Its a July 08 build with a 5001XX vin ) I picked it up from the dealer with 930 miles on it so I am hoping people who test drove it were gentle but I did baby it for those last 70 miles. That being said I'm expecting to have a spun bearing any day now. This is my first turbo car and my first manual transmission car so I appreciate all the information available here. Anyway I just wanted to drop in and finally say hello.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the site.

At 930 miles it is a USED car. I know in CA they could not have have sold that car as brand new, I hope they didnt charge you a new car price.

930 miles seems alot for test drives... my test drives are usually 2-5 miles or so... Unless you do an overnight but subaru rarely does overnight test dirves...

I wonder if the car was a demo car then...

I wouldn't worry to much about 1k break in... Some would argue that you should run the motor like you would daily with intermediate spirited driving... The biggest worry iv been told about during break in, is holding at one steady RPM for to long. Like highway travels.

None the less congrats on the auto... there seems to be a large amount of 09's being sold and popping up on the forum
    Last edited by Poohbear; 11-22-2009 at 02:08 PM.
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    there seems to be a large amount of 09's being sold and popping up on the forum
    Subaru was/is offering $1500 cash back on 09's this month, and the dealerships that have them are willing to deal. At least around here.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_boy02 View Post
    At 930 miles it is a USED car. I know in CA they could not have have sold that car as brand new, I hope they didnt charge you a new car price.
    It was technically sold as used, I just said that I was new to the WRX
    Last edited by Ashesofthewake; 11-23-2009 at 10:14 AM.

930 miles seems alot for test drives... my test drives are usually 2-5 miles or so... Unless you do an overnight but subaru rarely does overnight test dirves...

I wonder if the car was a demo car then...

I wouldn't worry to much about 1k break in... Some would argue that you should run the motor like you would daily with intermediate spirited driving... The biggest worry iv been told about during break in, is holding at one steady RPM for to long. Like highway travels.

None the less congrats on the auto... there seems to be a large amount of 09's being sold and popping up on the forum
    It was the demo car, I referred to it as new because other than the dealership, I am the first owner.

You are probably right about the break in, and so far everything has been great.

Good for you man... Demo cars can be great deals... The one thing I dont like is that some times and I only mean some times dealers will allow a subaru owner getting work done to use the demo car for the day while their other car is getting work done... And a WRX demo wouldnt be the dealers first choice for a loaner. But when you think about it the salesman isnt really going to bash the car but they will drive it as a loaner they might beat it though ...

So like I said im sure your fine... Besides you got a basicly new wrx premium for what I paid for my base... Good job man enjoy the car!!!
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

So like I said im sure your fine... Besides you got a basicly new wrx premium for what I paid for my base... Good job man enjoy the car!!!
    Thanks, It is a blast to drive in fact the only thing I don't like is the fact that I'm scared to death that I'm going to somehow ruin/scratch/damage it.

You better get passed that scratching fear... Air scratches the paint on these cars... However I would recommend a clear 3m Bra and 3m door handle cups... And since you have the wagon you can get the bumper cover for the rear. ( they dont make it for sedan models)...

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

You better get passed that scratching fear... Air scratches the paint on these cars... However I would recommend a clear 3m Bra and 3m door handle cups... And since you have the wagon you can get the bumper cover for the rear. ( they dont make it for sedan models)...
    Yeah, I have thought about the 3m bra and I will probably go for that. If you have it, does the bra itself scratch or tear easily?

I actually have the sedan, not the wagon. I don't know if you were going on the VIN number, but I thought 5XXXXX meant sedan and 8XXXXX meant wagon? I'm not sure feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I was just assuming you had the hatch...

But uber congrats on the sedan!!!!

The 3m bra doesnt really get scratched up... It was easy to apply with water and protects your soft paint from the truck thrown pebbles..

Although I wouldn't recommend using an automated car wash you can easily take your 3m bra through one and it wont have an issue...

But even it it does get messed up your car wont... Thats the point, the 3m takes the abuse and your car remains niiiiiiiice and smooth...

And besides all that, its alot cheaper to replace a 3m bra then it is your paint..

Be sure however to let the 3m set and dry if you use water to apply it... 24 hours should usually be fine depending on weather...

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

I was just assuming you had the hatch...

But uber congrats on the sedan!!!!

The 3m bra doesnt really get scratched up... It was easy to apply with water and protects your soft paint from the truck thrown pebbles..

Although I wouldn't recommend using an automated car wash you can easily take your 3m bra through one and it wont have an issue...

But even it it does get messed up your car wont... Thats the point, the 3m takes the abuse and your car remains niiiiiiiice and smooth...

And besides all that, its alot cheaper to replace a 3m bra then it is your paint..

Be sure however to let the 3m set and dry if you use water to apply it... 24 hours should usually be fine depending on weather...
    Thanks for the advice, I think I will be purchasing one soon.

Welcome! A buddy of mine has an 09 and he loves it. I raced it a few times, and it wasn't to bad, haha.

Hope you grow to love your car and here as much as we all do!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashesofthewake View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to the site and new to the WRX. It was time to hand off my 95 legacy to my younger brother who just began driving and I picked up a 09 WRX to replace it. I've been lurking here and on NASIOC for a while now so I was sort of apprehensive about the purchase (Its a July 08 build with a 5001XX vin ) I picked it up from the dealer with 930 miles on it so I am hoping people who test drove it were gentle but I did baby it for those last 70 miles. That being said I'm expecting to have a spun bearing any day now. This is my first turbo car and my first manual transmission car so I appreciate all the information available here. Anyway I just wanted to drop in and finally say hello.
    Just be ready to be without her for about 2 weeks at some point in the near future. I'd say find a good service place even if it isn't where you bought it so when it goes (mine did at around 7K) you'll have a good relationship to work with. All that stuff aside, though, I have the sedan (told wife I got another Subaru which is technically correct) and boy I just love every minute on the road - especially mountain roads here in SoCal.
    What a beauty of an engine!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.