Looking to buy a ej20k swap in a 95 Subby

This is a discussion on Looking to buy a ej20k swap in a 95 Subby within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So, long time troll, first time poster. I have been seriously looking into a 9-2x (the wrx rebadge) but this ...

Looking to buy a ej20k swap in a 95 Subby

So, long time troll, first time poster. I have been seriously looking into a 9-2x (the wrx rebadge) but this caught my eye. I am very interested in this car for numerous reasons, mostly the price. I would be able to get the car for $3000. Only problem? A few. So I will start off with the general info of the car then move onto the problems.

From his listing: "The motor has about 53,000 miles on it, and recently did an oil change. It runs great, just needs a good tune.It is only run on a stock turbo so it can be upgraded for more power, also I didn't get around to getting headers yet so that is also holding back a lot of air flow that can be released.

The good: Engine runs great, car is quick but with some after market headers and a tune it has the potential to be a lot faster, the car is sitting on 05 wrx rims.

The bad: The paint was recently primed so the texture is rough (it is ready for paint tho), the front driver side fender was bent in and i bent it back out but it sticks out a little, one of the rims on it hit a curb so it broke the edge, so its on one donut at the moment, engine does eat a little oil (seen in a lot of turbo engine oils).

After market parts: Up pipe, down pipe, full cat back system, front mount intercooler, manual perrin boost controler, nrg ground wires system and nrg electronic stabilizer, apexi short ram intake, i can't remember anything else at the moment. You can come by and check it out if you want." He emailed me today saying he can lower the price to 3k and enclosed this as well "the turbo is going out so its making a rattling noise from the fins."

So I have a few questions and concerns for all you Subby Gear Heads!

1. Based on what he has said, is that the turbo going out? A fix would be as simple as getting new headers and a bigger turbo? [Main Worry]
    2. How realistic is it that all Subby's burn oil? Is that a worry?
    3. Is the price right at 3k?
    4. Is it drivable home? 25 miles about
    5. Anything specific I should look for other than usual stuff when looking at it?

I appreciate all the help and look forward to being and active member

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As much as i've read around i havnt heard of anyone burning oil, esp at 53k miles. But buying an already modded car is usually a no-no in the first place, esp because besides the initial 3k you have to pay add another 1k+ (depending on what turbo you get). If you choose anything other than stock you'll have to get all other supporting mods with it. IMHO i would keep looking, but it's what feels best to you. Hopefully some of the more knowledgeable members will chime in and fill any gaps that I missed.

Good luck with the decision and welcome to the club