New to site, looking into becoming a WRX owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

This is a discussion on New to site, looking into becoming a WRX owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; First off, hi. Second I‘m doing this off my Nintendo Wii, ha. Whoopsie. I currently drive a 92 Integra GS-R, ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vernon, BC, Canada
    Posts
    8

    New to site, looking into becoming a WRX owner

    First off, hi.
    Second I‘m doing this off my Nintendo Wii, ha. Whoopsie.

    I currently drive a 92 Integra GS-R, and as much as i love it, and honda simplisity, i fesl its time to leave the 90s and get something more ‘grown up‘ plus winters coming and i do lots of hiway driving. plowed or not i gotta get to work and thats where AWD comes to mind.
    right now i am leaning towards a 06. however i dont want to go through having a problem car, my 90 toyota truck was a nightmare. is there a pros vs cons article of wrxs from 02 to 06? id search but atm the wii doesnt like it, links are ok.

    also what years/modles (wrx or sti) come in white?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User wrx jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Ocean State!
    Posts
    407
    Hi fellow Honda owner.

    I drive a DC2 Integra myself, for now.

    I'm not sure if there is an article listing every difference within each year. But MYs 02-03 are known for their weak trannys. 02-05 WRX's have 2.0 liter engines, while 06+ models have 2.5. There are obviously more differences between the different model years, but those are some key points.

    02-07 all came in Aspen White. 08+ came in Satin Pearl White. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by wrx jay; 11-17-2009 at 07:02 AM.
    Jay for Justin.

    Facebooook




  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vernon, BC, Canada
    Posts
    8
    I knew about the weak gear boxes. I've been looking at all the warranty forums and complaints etc. When do you start getting a good gear box? Not that I plan on clutch drops but I'm gonna drive the car hard. I take my Teg to red line most times ha. Is there such a thing as Subaru of Canada? If I buy an 06 and start modifying it what does that say about any warranty? Honda is by far the most reliable car I know. But Subaru is the king of AWD I just don't want to be replacing parts lots.

  5. #4
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,079
    I Support ClubWRX
    Hello and welcome to the Club!

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmrchristopher View Post
    First off, hi.
    Second I‘m doing this off my Nintendo Wii, ha. Whoopsie
    Have a PC? (they have spell checkers).

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmrchristopher View Post
    I currently drive a 92 Integra GS-R, and as much as i love it, and honda simplisity, i fesl its time to leave the 90s and get something more ‘grown up‘ plus winters coming and i do lots of hiway driving.
    A WRX is not exactly a grownup car either. Didn't stop me though.

    The 2006+ WRX added the 2.5 liter engine - a good thing. You will likely not see GS-R gas millage on the highway.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vernon, BC, Canada
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Hello and welcome to the Club!



    Have a PC? (they have spell checkers).



    A WRX is not exactly a grownup car either. Didn't stop me though.

    The 2006+ WRX added the 2.5 liter engine - a good thing. You will likely not see GS-R gas millage on the highway.
    i has pc but no wireless network card. my bb storm has spell check maybe ill use that

    the wrx is not grown up, but enough that not every ricer nut owns one.

    with reguards to mileage whats a 2.5 like on the hiway? if i use cruise ill get around 500km on a 40l tank, i dont know miles to km, sorry.

    are ppl buying 02-03 bugeyes to do 2.5 swaps?

  7. #6
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,079
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmrchristopher View Post
    i has pc but no wireless network card. my bb storm has spell check maybe ill use that

    the wrx is not grown up, but enough that not every ricer nut owns one.

    with reguards to mileage whats a 2.5 like on the hiway? if i use cruise ill get around 500km on a 40l tank, i dont know miles to km, sorry.
    Online Conversion - Convert just about anything to anything else

    500 kilometer = 310.685 596 12 miles

    The 2004 WRX has a 60 liter fuel tank.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vernon, BC, Canada
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Online Conversion - Convert just about anything to anything else

    500 kilometer = 310.685 596 12 miles

    The 2004 WRX has a 60 liter fuel tank.
    your smart, lets be friends (added that to my wii favorites)

    so sir do you own a 04? if so can you tell me all you love and hate about that year?

  9. #8
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,079
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmrchristopher View Post
    your smart, lets be friends (added that to my wii favorites)
    Glad to help.

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmrchristopher View Post
    so sir do you own a 04? if so can you tell me all you love and hate about that year?
    Yep, bought the WRX new in March 2004.

    Like: The body style (headlights / grille). IMO the best looking from 2002 - 2007. The transmissions were beefed up to some degree starting in late 2003.

    Dislike: The easily chipped / scratched paint. A newer car will have better paint simply because it is ... well newer. All Subaru paint seems to be fairly awful regardless of model year. 2.5 liter > 2.0 liter. The interiors started getting nicer looking from 2005 on.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vernon, BC, Canada
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    Glad to help.



    Yep, bought the WRX new in March 2004.

    Like: The body style (headlights / grille). IMO the best looking from 2002 - 2007. The transmissions were beefed up to some degree starting in late 2003.

    Dislike: The easily chipped / scratched paint. A newer car will have better paint simply because it is ... well newer. All Subaru paint seems to be fairly awful regardless of model year. 2.5 liter > 2.0 liter. The interiors started getting nicer looking from 2005 on.
    awesome. this is the kind of info i have been looking for. so poor paint, bummer.

    the 2.5, hows maintenace? easy engine to get around or is it a tight bay? i hear these cars are 'drive by wire' do you dislike this? lastly, checked your profile, got quite the modded machince. every have warranty issues or did you mod after that ran out? im hoping to find a 04-06 with some kind of warranty.

    thanks for the imput.

  11. #10
    Moderator   Sasquatch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeastern PA
    Posts
    31,079
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmrchristopher View Post
    awesome. this is the kind of info i have been looking for. so poor paint, bummer.

    the 2.5, hows maintenace? easy engine to get around or is it a tight bay? i hear these cars are 'drive by wire' do you dislike this? lastly, checked your profile, got quite the modded machince. every have warranty issues or did you mod after that ran out? im hoping to find a 04-06 with some kind of warranty.

    thanks for the imput.
    The engine bay is pretty easy to work in. An oil change can be done without any jacking or lifting. Spark plugs are little trickier, but still easily done from above by most that can turn a wrench. Not something you need to do that often anyway ... I do almost all of the work on it myself.

    I have not had one single problem warranty wise. The dealership service department knows me and what I have done to the WRX. I sometimes get comments like: "You sure keep it clean" or "how do you like this mod / that mod, etc?". They have been quite good to me.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

  12. #11
    Registered User 2010BlueWRX265's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmrchristopher View Post
    First off, hi.
    Second I‘m doing this off my Nintendo Wii, ha. Whoopsie.

    I currently drive a 92 Integra GS-R, and as much as i love it, and honda simplisity, i fesl its time to leave the 90s and get something more ‘grown up‘ plus winters coming and i do lots of hiway driving. plowed or not i gotta get to work and thats where AWD comes to mind.
    right now i am leaning towards a 06. however i dont want to go through having a problem car, my 90 toyota truck was a nightmare. is there a pros vs cons article of wrxs from 02 to 06? id search but atm the wii doesnt like it, links are ok.

    also what years/modles (wrx or sti) come in white?
    I drove a 91 Teg GS for 8 years and loved it. Few weeks ago I got myself into a 2010 WRX sedan and am in heaven. I still like Honda/Acura and believe they are probably the most dependable name in cars, but I do love my new Subie and will have a tough time buying anything but a rex for a very long time. I was initially considering slightly used ones, but just decided to bite the bullet and buy brand new. I'm glad I did...with the 09's+ being upgraded to 265 HP from the previous years 224, and them hopefully ironing out the problems with the 09's I feel very comfortable with a 10'. Driving in the Alberta winters was also a huge factor in getting a Subie...I can't wait for the snow to hit now and head for the mountains

  13. #12
    Registered User 2010BlueWRX265's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Posts
    36
    Oh and btw, my gf was born and raised in Vernon and I also have some family in that area too...a few years ago I spent a summer working at Spallumcheen Golf Course...I love it out there...

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vernon, BC, Canada
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    The engine bay is pretty easy to work in. An oil change can be done without any jacking or lifting. Spark plugs are little trickier, but still easily done from above by most that can turn a wrench. Not something you need to do that often anyway ... I do almost all of the work on it myself.

    I have not had one single problem warranty wise. The dealership service department knows me and what I have done to the WRX. I sometimes get comments like: "You sure keep it clean" or "how do you like this mod / that mod, etc?". They have been quite good to me.
    well that settles some nerves for sure. i am a mechanic at heart, and try doing as much work on my own if i can.
    so i was looking at wrxs in my area, a 04 is around $16500CAD then going to an 06 (mind you i only found STIs) was a jump to $33000CAD? crazy! now im prolly looking at only having $10k saved after i sell my GS-R, so i would need a loan reguardless.

    is it worth the extra coin for an 06 with the 2.5 or its a minty bargan find 04/05 a good start?

  15. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Vernon, BC, Canada
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010BlueWRX265 View Post
    Oh and btw, my gf was born and raised in Vernon and I also have some family in that area too...a few years ago I spent a summer working at Spallumcheen Golf Course...I love it out there...
    gimmi a shout if your out for the holidays. either me n the GS-R can put on a show or we can WRX the sh*t out of hiway 6

  16. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    BC Canada
    Posts
    23

    import it

    Quote Originally Posted by ohmrchristopher View Post
    well that settles some nerves for sure. i am a mechanic at heart, and try doing as much work on my own if i can.
    so i was looking at wrxs in my area, a 04 is around $16500CAD then going to an 06 (mind you i only found STIs) was a jump to $33000CAD? crazy! now im prolly looking at only having $10k saved after i sell my GS-R, so i would need a loan reguardless.

    is it worth the extra coin for an 06 with the 2.5 or its a minty bargan find 04/05 a good start?
    Import it from the states that what i did, i live in BC to cept alot closer to the border in white rock if youve ever heard of it.

    but yea i searched all of bc for about 4 months and found the average price for a 02-04 with 150K kms was around 15 grand with exception of rebuilt ones that were written off (id stay away from these)

    started looking down in washington and found the more expensive the car is the more youll save. I got my stock 2002 wagon with 63K mi (100K kms) for a mere $9400 american with clean title and only minor body damage.

    My buddies parents bought a new 2009 wrx from the states and saved at least $6,000

    Although the downside of importing it is that you gotta pay full taxes, GST PST and Duty which in the end comes up to 18.1% and it could take up to a week before u can even bring into canada, i had to keep my car in storage in blaine.

    but all in all if ur gonna be spending more than 10 grand on a car youll save money in the states if the dollar is strong (i payed 1.06 Cdn)

    good luck and i hope this helped you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •