2010 WRX- thinking of buying
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2010 WRX- thinking of buying within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey all, I am getting fed up with my current car- a 2000 Pontiac Firebird. The thing is going to ...

2010 WRX- thinking of buying

Hey all,

I am getting fed up with my current car- a 2000 Pontiac Firebird. The thing is going to start costing me a lot of money. The headlights do odd things now (the drivers side one makes some very strange noises and i think it has some electrical issues), the power window motors area burned out and wont go down, the AC doesn't work, and the car is very, very loud. All in all, it's been a great car with the only repair costing me a lot of money was a fuel pump that had to be replaced. i have clocked 145,000 miles on it and it still has the original engine, tranny, clutch and it all works well. I do want to get a subaru WRX 5-door in the near future as i love the AWD, the looks of it, and the fact that its very practical. I do have some concerns about this car as i have been checking out the forums. Please help me with some answers if you can.

I have noticed a thread titled "09 WRX engine failure." Has this been a common occurrence on the 2010 models or has Subaru fixed it? Also, how have the transmissions/clutches held up for those of you who have bought this auto? How many cylinders are in the boxer engine (noob question... haha)?

I have not yet been to the dealer to test drive the car so I don't know how the comfort level is. I am 6'2" and have a wide athletic build. Will my shoulders be resting on the door while i sit in the seat or do i have some wiggle room? I noticed that there doesn't appear to be a lot of room in there, but i guess i can just go sit in the thing to figure it out.

KBB had a review on the 2009 WRX and said that the suspension was "soft" and not too sporty. I believe that i read somewhere that the 2010s now have a lot of the suspension parts of the STi and wanted to know if that's true. Would putting bigger bars or a STB on the car for a stiffer ride and less body roll void a warranty?

Any idea on the current Subaru financing rates?

Thanks for any answers and hopefully I'll be riding around in a new WRX within a week or so!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow, lots of info in your post. I bought an 09 WRX in June, so I can answer some of your questions. Also, I live in Bethesda, so you're in my neck of the woods.

1. Engine failures- this is a problem with the rod bearings in the engine. Failures have ALL been in 09s built before 9/08. None have been reported on cars built after that point. Looks like Subaru fixed the problem.

2. Transmission- the 5spd in WRXs aren't what the car is known for. They are (reputedly) weak, and from the factory come with tall, rubbery shifters. The feel can be fixed with a short throw and some bushings. I've done these and like the feel now.

3. Cylinders- its a turbocharged boxer four. This IS what the WRX is known for. And AWD.

4. Interior- I find the interior to be very roomy. I'm 6', but skinny. The seats seem to be built for the, ahem, larger American, so if you're broad shouldered it might fit you better than me.

5. Ride- It is soft from the factory. Sways are an easy upgrade and help a ton. Struts/springs or coils will complete the package, but even just with sways its much more livable. The warranty will only be voided for the parts you removed. Otherwise the dealer will have to demonstrate how the sways caused another failure before they can void anything else.

Finally, I have no idea about current financing rates. You're on your own for that one.

Hope that helps, and let me know if you have any more questions. A lot can be answered here or on 3gwrx.com, a website just for 08+ WRXs. I'm on there a lot more than here.

Good luck with the purchase!

I think the 2008's have the softer suspension.

Size wise I am 6' 260 and I fit in my 2010. Its a change from the fullsize truck I had. My only issue in my knee rests on the e-brake and that gets annoying after a bit. My shoulders are pretty wide, at first I hated the seat, and after a couple weeks it has broken in a bit and its still not wonderful but its fine.

I have never gotten in the car and felt man this is roomy! But I have never felt cramped either. So yes I have a bit of "wiggle" room.

I have just about 2200mi on my 2010 now and have had it since mid october. Finance rate I got was 6.25 with Chase (subaru america financing) though this will greatly depend on your credit score. As for the car being soft.. I haven't pushed mine to the point of blatant traction loss but its certainly not squishy. Its tight with a minimal amount of body roll for a factory sprung car. Compared to your TA it might push a slight bit but it will feel alot more nimble. The steering ratio is nice n quick and steering feel is tight. Keep in mind though you'll have to work more to over-steer it compared to a rwd setup.. its just the nature of the beast. I'm not a big guy, 5'9 and 180lbs.. 35" reach, 32" inseam.. Average across the shoulders for a med build. Its pretty comfy for me, there is a crapload of adjustment in the column though. It tilts and telescopes so not hard to get it just right. Seat is pretty comfy for a sport type, I drive quite a bit for work and so far have not had any complaint about the seating. The comments about the shifter though are dead on.. it doesn't give the best shift feel in factory trim. I have a set of kartboy bushings here and ready to go in to clear that up. They run about $85 or so for the kit. Hope this helps
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

VJD
    A couple of days ago I purchased a 2010 WRX HB. I had an option to finance the car for 72 months through Subaru for 4.5%. 60 month interest is 3.9% (or thereabout).
    I'm 6'2" and weigh 240 lbs. I feel very comfortable in the WRX. Plenty of headroom with the seat cranked down.
    My WRX was ordered by the dealership with the SPT shortshifter and exhaust system. I think the WRX should come standard with those two items.
    Before buying my WRX I test drove a 2010 GTI, MS3 and Ralliart. Obviously the WRX got the nod! Good luck!

Just bought my 2010 a couple of days ago. I'm much shorter and weigh less so I'll reserve the "room" comments.
    Dealer offered the 3.9% on 60 months or 4.9% on 72 months (mfg offered actually) on 2010 models.
    0.0% on 2009 models.
    The handling is soft, which I like as a daily driver. I drove a Ford Lightning for 3 years and knew where every bump, crack, and pebble on the road was. Moved to a small BMW after that and now really appreciate cars that handle well and give a smooth ride. You can always upgrade with SPT parts to stiffen up the cornering.
    I felt that the MS3 was too stiff, i hated it being front wheel drive with that power and weight ratio. Also drove a GLI from Volks, great ride, but no guts- very weak turbo.

Talking

Well I came home with a black 2010 wrx hatch today! It's great so far. I'm happy to join the club. Haha and I saw bunch of soobies at an autox event on the way home. I got some thumbs up already. I'm gonna love this car I can already tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Bill View Post
    Well I came home with a black 2010 wrx hatch today! It's great so far. I'm happy to join the club. Haha and I saw bunch of soobies at an autox event on the way home. I got some thumbs up already. I'm gonna love this car I can already tell.
    Nice! now before you do anything else, buy a new wash mit (soft one) and some really good wax... make her spotless n protect that paint. I've already got some small chips in mine and now only just over 3k mi.

Drove it to Charleston and back from Norfolk this past week .. performed flawlessly.. very happy with mine. if you didn't absolutely love the car when you bought it, it wont take long at all and you'll be wrapped around its little finger
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

VJD
    Congratulations! Good choice. If you can scrape up the dollars, get the SPT shortshifter and exhaust. Icing on the cake...IMO.

Nice! I really wanted black. But Parking at work is dusty and I dont want to deal with driving a noticeably dirty car around. I went with with silver, but still love the black.

I got the short throw when I bought the car. It should be coming in on Thursday or Friday. I see what you mean about the tall rubbery shifter that comes stock. That will change on my car very soon.

This car is incredible though. I don't want to stop driving it.

ANother Question: Do blow off valves usually had any effect on voiding warranties? And how hard are they to install? I found a bolt on one that looks nice. Is this a good start to decreasing any turbo lag? I'm trying to make my car like Ken Blocks; though i think i might need more than a BOV

EDIT: Nevermind, i just found out that my car has a bypass valve that does the same thing.
    Last edited by Les Bill; 11-24-2009 at 04:47 PM.

I got the short throw when I bought the car. It should be coming in on Thursday or Friday. I see what you mean about the tall rubbery shifter that comes stock. That will change on my car very soon.

This car is incredible though. I don't want to stop driving it.
    MAke sure you have them install the optional STI rear bushing p/n B0220FG300

Ok for those of you who got the 2010 have you upgraded the following? I am looking into these mods but want to check with fellow owners first.

- synthetic oil. Some people believe it's fine to stick with dino oil

- headlights. I heard Toshiba H1R bulbs are quite brighter.

- Stock deck. Deck seems a bit weak. Was contemplating
    a double din system with navi but might save the $ instead.

Will look at getting it tuned ones the software/mapping etc are out for 2010. Not gonna bother with intake, exhausts or suspension though. Strut bar/brace may be.

Welcome your opinions.

I aced my factory deck for a Pioneer dd indash nav (AVIC F700BT), factory radio sucks and thats putting it nicely. Having more power to put to the factory speakers and a better EQ to contour the sound will work wonders for the sound quality.

Just had my first service day before yesterday and asked the same question. In regards to oil, Subaru recommends sticking with a synthetic blend until 10k mi to properly bed in moving components. After 10k, you can run whatever you want but full synthetic is what I'm going to run.

The headlights are pretty decent with the factory bulbs. I've been thinking of running a bulb with a yellow tint but thats more my preference for nasty weather (Norfolk winter weather can be pretty foggy/crappy). Otherwise I'd go to say that the factory lights are adequate and have a good beam pattern.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast