Thinking of getting a 2010 WRX?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Thinking of getting a 2010 WRX?! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My basic question(s) are the new 265 h.p. car still as tuneable as the prior ones (227h.p.?). What are the ...

Question Thinking of getting a 2010 WRX?!

My basic question(s) are the new 265 h.p. car still as tuneable as the prior ones (227h.p.?). What are the best mods to do?( Cobb, X company downpipe, BOV, Exhaust, etc..). TY in advance for any and all help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    best first mod would be research.

subarus are very finicky and you really need to know them like the back of your hand before doing performance mods.

start here:

Yes, you need an EM for engine mods

here:
    Engine Performance FAQ [[[READ ME]]]

here:
    "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged)

and here:
    Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

after you're done you'll probably decide on a turboback exhaust and engine management (either the AP or an opensource)

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post

subarus are very finicky and you really need to know them like the back of your hand before doing performance mods.

start here:

here:

here:

and here:

after you're done you'll probably decide on a turboback exhaust and engine management (either the AP or an opensource)
    TY for the info!!

Cool

I appreciate this info but it seems to be more of the earlier models the members have(in their sig at least?) so I'm wondering since the '09-'10 models have a 30% more free flow exhaust, more boost, and whatever else was done to get 40h.p. what are the most beneficial mods to do for these models? Anyone have an '09 or '10 WRX? Also are the 3 cats still on these models? TY in advance!

I Support ClubWRX
    No. 06+ wrx's only have two cats. One in the midpipe and one in the downpipe.

The best mods would still be a tbe and tune. Also a lot of people will put an aftermarket intake but that's debateable.

desiree

Question

No. 06+ wrx's only have two cats. One in the midpipe and one in the downpipe.

The best mods would still be a tbe and tune. Also a lot of people will put an aftermarket intake but that's debateable.
    WRX, Cold Air Intakes of intake manifolds? I'm new to this so excuse me please! My SRT-4(2005 black) was factory and they( Mopar) had factory hi-po upgrades you could add and were guaranteed and warranteed.

I Support ClubWRX
    Lol it's okay. My boyfriend also had a black 05 srt so I know how different they are! By intake I was referring to a cold air or short ram intake.

desiree

Thumbs up

Lol it's okay. My boyfriend also had a black 05 srt so I know how different they are! By intake I was referring to a cold air or short ram intake.
    That is what I thought but just making sure, TY for your help!

Question

I've been searching around some more today a little confused on somethings like: Cobb states that a CAI is pretty much useless unless your 450whp( or so) their stage two tune is just a drop in filter, TBE and the tune itself(map) and only 19 hp gain? But yet Perrin is advertising their stage two: http://http://www.perrinperformance....ry=62&model=23

Is the 68 ft lbs and 46 whp just inflated numbers(fake) for sale purposes or is Cobb's tune just that mild( Perrin has it's special map with their tune which states it's more aggresssive)?

Also are up pipes a good mod power wise?

I'm sorry for all the questions but I don't want to buy stuff the ECM is going to cancel out or whatever.

Once again Thanks for any and all help!
    Last edited by lovingit; 11-15-2009 at 08:02 AM.

I believe the cobb number is additive over the 15 or so hp you pick up with Stage 1.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingit View Post
    I've been searching around some more today a little confused on somethings like: Cobb states that a CAI is pretty much useless unless your 450whp( or so) their stage two tune is just a drop in filter, TBE and the tune itself(map) and only 19 hp gain? But yet Perrin is advertising their stage two: http://http://www.perrinperformance....ry=62&model=23

Is the 68 ft lbs and 46 whp just inflated numbers(fake) for sale purposes or is Cobb's tune just that mild( Perrin has it's special map with their tune which states it's more aggresssive)?

Also are up pipes a good mod power wise?

I'm sorry for all the questions but I don't want to buy stuff the ECM is going to cancel out or whatever.

Once again Thanks for any and all help!
    results are ALWAYS going to vary. you can have 2 people with the exact same set ups and their dyno numbers will be different. at stage 2 on my 06, i dyno'd at 240 WHP (compared to the 180-190ish stock WHP) of course the newer models are different because youre already starting out with more power right out of the box. i wouldnt really look too much into the numbers list on cobb or perrins website. search google, here, nasioc, etc & look at actual dyno charts & numbers by real people lol.

also, your uppipe is already catless from the factory so there is no need to replace it. the HP you'd gain wouldnt be worth the $$ IMO.

desiree

Cool

results are ALWAYS going to vary. you can have 2 people with the exact same set ups and their dyno numbers will be different. at stage 2 on my 06, i dyno'd at 240 WHP (compared to the 180-190ish stock WHP) of course the newer models are different because youre already starting out with more power right out of the box. i wouldnt really look too much into the numbers list on cobb or perrins website. search google, here, nasioc, etc & look at actual dyno charts & numbers by real people lol.

also, your uppipe is already catless from the factory so there is no need to replace it. the HP you'd gain wouldnt be worth the $$ IMO.
    TY, Your very helpful!!

start here:

here:

here:

and here:

ok so heres my question. i have a 2010 WRX and just got done installing my Perrin Single Catted DP to my Perrin Cat back. They have no cobb AP for the 2010 models yet. does that mean im in need to remove the Downpipe?

Perrin and Cobb both told me that i would be ok to run the stock map with the turboback setup, but they recommended a tune.

I Support ClubWRX
    mhm. you need a tune ASAP. if you cant get a tune or find a tuner in your area, take off the DP until that's possible.

until then, stay out of boost completely

desiree

mhm. you need a tune ASAP. if you cant get a tune or find a tuner in your area, take off the DP until that's possible.

until then, stay out of boost completely
    ok, i just talked to my local car shop, and they stated that i would be ok driving it normally until the Cobb AP comes out for the 2010 wrx "in 2-3 weeks" but if i were to beat on it, they also recommended removing the Down-pipe.

I also talked to a Tech at Cobb on the phone, and he stated that i might not get the performance on the stock tune, and would get possibly get boost inconsistancies. Driving normal though, he stated i wouldnt have any issues. he said "either way you wouldnt cause any damage to the car, just not the performance you want."
    Last edited by Robstunner; 11-16-2009 at 02:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast