Newbie! '09 WRX Hatch W/ Question...
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Newbie! '09 WRX Hatch W/ Question... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys! I bought my WRX back in August... I got a Satin White Pearl 5-door and love it! I ...

Newbie! '09 WRX Hatch W/ Question...

Hey guys! I bought my WRX back in August... I got a Satin White Pearl 5-door and love it! I traded in my 2007 Civic Si... I was a Honda freak and loved my Si but it was time for a change and AWD is needed here in Upstate NY. Now onto my question...

I heard rumours that you can barely mod the '09 Rex unless you get it tuned b/c it'll be running way too lean. All I'm looking to do is add an intake and exhaust for now. I know I can add a cat-back exhaust with no problem but it's the intake I'm curious and want to make sure about.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yes you need a tune for an intake...

Be sure to use the mighty search feature this forum offers... this topic has been covered and gone over in detail several times over...
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

Quote Originally Posted by Poohbear View Post
    Yes you need a tune for an intake...

Be sure to use the mighty search feature this forum offers... this topic has been covered and gone over in detail several times over...
    why doesn't the engine computer do this? It will if you go up or down in altitude, right?

The sensors on your intake (MAF) only tell the ecu air density and some other misc. things. If you change your intake diameter or position of intake things change (ECU no longer knows volume of air via filter and intake diameter)... what happens is motor breaths easier bringing in more air, fuel is not adjusted for this change and you lean out...

Subaru made the ECU to measure many many many different variables... You puting on a different filter or diameter intake tube or relocating the filter is not one of them... You need a tune for an intake period...
    Last edited by Poohbear; 11-06-2009 at 10:22 PM.
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX

Subaru made the ECU to measure many many many different variables... You puting on a different filter or diameter intake tube or relocating the filter is not one of them... You need a tune for an intake period...
    Huh?

2 thinks skew the reading, and filter location is not one of them. MAF housing diameter and the path of the airflow (ie uneven flow or turbulence).
    Last edited by brfatal; 11-06-2009 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Huh?

2 thinks skew the reading, and filter location is not one of them. MAF housing diameter and turbulence.
    I was talking about going from stock air box to something else... Didnt word that right... Or shoving your intake into your fender well with a cold air is what I was trying to touch on...

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I was talking about going from stock air box to something else... Didnt word that right... Or shoving your intake into your fender well with a cold air is what I was trying to touch on...
    I knew that's what you meant, but I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.

the ecu was designed to adapt to many things... and the person tampering with modifications is not one of them, is the general point im trying to get at... that and oh yeah YOU NEED A TUNE FOR YOUR INTAKE

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Not necessarily, but you would benefit from one.

Wow, modding the WRX is complicated lol...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.