need help mastering my 2002 sti

This is a discussion on need help mastering my 2002 sti within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey there, i'm jess im 27 and i cannot drive anything unless its a wrxy!!! But i'm just hoping someone ...

need help mastering my 2002 sti

Hey there, i'm jess im 27 and i cannot drive anything unless its a wrxy!!! But i'm just hoping someone can give me some tips in taking off. I use to drive a bugeye station wagon and it was smooth and extremely quick on take off.
    I currently have a 2002 wrx sti and i really struggle with take off. For example I get everything ready waiting for traffic lights to change and i either bunnyhop or nearly stall. The only way i can take off smoothly is to slowly ease right into it and then pick up speed. I don;t want to sound like a stupid female i just want to be able to drive my car the right way. Is the difference to do with it being a 6 speed?? Once ive passed my "slow" take off im sweet with all other gear changes and its awesome to drive i just want it to be awesome start to finish.....
    Last edited by jess82; 11-03-2009 at 06:25 AM. Reason: change intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

perhaps it's just you having to adjust to a heavier pressure plate load/lighter flywheel. those will make a tremendous difference that typically requires some getting used to while driving.

may i ask where you live that you're able to have a 2002 sti?
    '07 wrx wagon:
    Cobb catback, cobb short ram with intake box, turbosmart small recirc valve, yellow tinted fogs.

little bit older and a little bit more jaded.

I couldnt pick up your msg properly on here so i hope im doing things the right way. I live in australia. Ive had it a couple of months i just wish i could conquer the take off it drives me nuts. I can feel a big difference between the 2 cars i think im too scared to put my foot down more on the accelerator and also just the smoothe easing off on the clutch. 2nd and 3rd etc i can change ultra smoothe without jolting the car its just 1st to 2nd.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome. If the car itself behaves better once warmed up you may be experiencing some clutch chatter, though that is probably not very likely. Just a thought though.

Otherwise turn the car on and press down on the clutch. Select 1st and without giving it any throttle at all VERY SLOWLY start releasing the clutch pedal to engage the clutch. If you do it slow enough you will find a spot in the pedal's arc of travel where the clutch is engaging, as then the car will tend to creep forward.

Practice giving it throttle just a little "below" that spot so that you're giving it a decent amount of throttle when the clutch pedal reaches that spot. Don't stall and don't let the car lurch or buck so you don't damage anything. Just calmly and gently practice a few times then replicate what you learned on the street.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sounds like a lightweight flywheel and a heavier clutch to me. +1 on what SD_GR said
    "M3 drivers have no friends..." - Jeremy Clarkson

"If something sounds too good to be true, it's best to shoot it to make sure" - Fiona Glenanne