First Subie: 09 Premium Rex

This is a discussion on First Subie: 09 Premium Rex within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I decided to sell my 2001 Volvo S60 T5 last summer, basically because it was becoming too costly to maintain. ...

First Subie: 09 Premium Rex

I decided to sell my 2001 Volvo S60 T5 last summer, basically because it was becoming too costly to maintain. I spent $3-4K each of the last two years on it and it only had 80K miles. Needless to say it was a fun car to drive but not worth the money.

I originally started looking at the Audi A3 and the BMW 325xi. I wanted something sporty with all wheel drive for Tahoe in the winter. But my biggest concern with Audi and BMW was that they would be as expensive as Volvo to maintain, maybe even more expensive. That is when a friend recommended that I check out the WRX.

I came across this website while researching the WRX and it honestly pushed me further in the direction of purchasing one. I ended up purchasing a new 09 WRX Premium back in August. Probably wasn't the best timing with Car for Clunkers going on, but I got 0% financing and only paid a couple hundred over invoice (and saved $20K+ over the BMW 335xi that I was considering).

At first I was a little concerned about having a manual transmission since I live in San Francisco, but I also ride a motorcycle, so I figured I should be able to handle it. With the exception of one incident where I burned the clutch pretty badly on a steep hill, I haven't had any issues. Good thing the warranty covers one new clutch

So far I've put about ~2,700 miles on the car.

What I like:
    +3-4K RPMs in 3rd gear and 4-5K RPMs in 4th gear. I'm no car expert and I don't even know when the torque & HP is supposed to be best, but those ranges feel the best to me
    +AWD & handling - Wow this is my first AWD car and I can definitely feel the difference. Combined with the manual transmission. I'm looking forward to driving in the snow.
    +Versatility - This car is perfect for my lifestyle: living in the city, going to Tahoe, the beach, etc., commuting on the freeway. Super fun to drive, easy to park, can load up all my toys (bike, snowboard, hockey gear, etc.)
    +The car feels like it's getting more powerful as I put more miles on it. Part of it is probably that I'm getting better with the clutch, but I also think the car is getting faster...

What I don't like:
    +The interior - it's too cheap feeling, so one thing I'm doing is upgrading the seats to leather. The doors feel especially cheap and prone to getting marked up. Any recommendations for improving their durability?
    +Lack of lumbar support - I took a road trip to Yosemite and the lack of lumbar support was painful after just a couple hours. I've looked around on this site for recommendations, but haven't seen much besides "use a pillow"
    +Stereo sucks - I can't believe they call it the premium sound package. I hate to hear what they think is mediocre.

Extras on the car:
    Dim Mirror w/Homelink
    Shock Sensor
    Short Throw Shifter
    Bumper Cover
    Cargo Tray

What I'm planning short term:
    Leather seats
    Sport Grille
    Body Side Molding - do you guys think this looks good/bad?
    Bike & Snowboard rack - any recommendations?
    ClearShield Paint Protection - do you guys think this is worth it?
    Window tint
    New Stereo Amp & Head Unit - want to get more power to the speakers, but not really interested in a subwoofer (not my style), any recommendations?
    Tail light covers - just ordered the red Harmon Motive Rear Lamp Overlay Kit (found out about this from a post by Big Sky, thanks!)

What I'm planning long term:
    New tires
    Suspension & brake upgrades*
    Stage 1 tune*
    *post warranty expiration (probably...maybe...)

Overall I'm loving my new Rex. I went out of town for two weeks on business and couldn't wait to get back home and go for a ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails new_rex.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats. I just bought an 09 5 door premium and live in SF. The hills here can be tricky. I had a brief scare coming up Fillmore from Lombard but did okay.

My thoughts are pretty similar to yours. Stereo is the biggest gripe. I have never heard a factory system that is this bad. Love the car overall though.

I have an 08 and personally love the side moldings. some people disagree and say they look ugly but they dont have WRX's. When i wash my car water gets stuck underneath the moldings and leave plenty of water trails on my doors . As for a rack i have yakima control towers with a fairing and it looks great and does the job! good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rex_hooligan View Post
    At first I was a little concerned about having a manual transmission since I live in San Francisco, but I also ride a motorcycle, so I figured I should be able to handle it. With the exception of one incident where I burned the clutch pretty badly on a steep hill, I haven't had any issues. Good thing the warranty covers one new clutch
    congrats and welcome..youll be please to know that your car comes with a hill assist feature that when starting from a stop on a hill it automatically holds the brake down for you for about a second or two..long enough to get out of first with ease and no rolling backwards. it is an excellent feature

That is a sexy ride!! I will have one dammit!!! One day!!!