04 wrx turbo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

This is a discussion on 04 wrx turbo within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; My turbo blew at 50k. I recently bought a td05h-20g turbo on ebay for 0 + for shipping. MY ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7

    04 wrx turbo

    My turbo blew at 50k. I recently bought a td05h-20g turbo on ebay for $250 + $50 for shipping. MY wrx is completely stock and this turbo is capable of supporting 440hp w/ the internal waste gate set at 9psi. I did want to do some upgrades at some time and since the stock turbo blew I figured this would be a good time. My question being is this a good turbo for my car and should I increase the waste gate pressure? I have no knowledge about turbos, this is my first turbo car. I do love the wrx but i feel it could use a little more power so any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Mike

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User wrx jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Ocean State!
    Posts
    407
    You will need to upgrade your fuel system with that turbo.

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7

    2004 wrx turbo

    By upgrading my fuel system, do you mean new injectors and how much $ are we talking. I am by no means a master mech. but I do have a basic mechanical knowledge and do most of my own repairs. I also have friends who are pro. mechanics.
    If i were to bolt on the 20g w/out doing any other upgrades, you are saying it wouldn't work at all or it wouldn't work well? Would a 16g be a much better option? My situation is that I jumped the gun and bid on this 20g on ebay that was ending soon and won it for $250. A friend who is a mech. sent me the link and I assumed he new what he was talking about, lesson learned. Now I need to figure out if I should make the upgrades to make the 20g work properly or sell it and buy a 16g.
    Thanks, Mike

  5. #4
    Registered User AsILayDying's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    444
    Dont quote me but you may also have to do some other things as well even if you went with the 16g. I could be wrong though because like you I am just learning about these cars and the turbo setups as well. So I would wait and see if anyone here knows if there is more involved with the 16g too. I would rather use the 20g and do the upgrades to have it work but thats just my opinion. Good luck and if you decide to go with a 16g and want to get rid of the 20g pm me and I will see if I can help you get rid of it....
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    Stage II 04' WRX Black (Performance Race Solutions Tuned 310whp)
    "its never enough"

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7

    2004 turbo

    Thanks for your input. I will keep you informed as to the outcome.

  7. #6
    Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    2,772
    You'll need to do some upgrades regardless of what turbo you end up using. You're looking at getting bigger injectors, a bigger fuel pump, catless up pipe, bellmouth downpipe (preferably catless), and engine management, to name a few. And to tell you the truth, I wouldn't have paid $250 for a 20G turbo. Something's probably wrong with it already or it's of poor quality and won't last long. 20G turbos are at least twice that used and $2000 new. Don't skimp on parts for our cars. If you're going to own a nice car, get quality parts for it. There's a lot of great info on this site to point you in the right direction. Search it out. Good luck.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX / Sterling, VA
    Posts
    6,629
    I Support ClubWRX
    *bangs head on desk*

    There are multiple problems with this.

    1. A 20G is not a plug and play turbo. You're going to spend thousands of dollars on other mods that you need in order to use it. Fuel upgrades, intercooler, exhaust, tuning, suspension (your stock parts are inadequate for a car with this much power) etc.

    2. A $250 eBay turbo is going to be nothing but an expensive Chinese made paperweight. I would not expect that thing to last past just a few thousand miles if that. Turbocharger shaft speed is over 2500 revs per second. That level of precision requires specialized metallurgy, advanced forging techniques and design technology and if you think that you can buy that for $250 you are very mistaken. That turbo WILL go bad, and will do so soon.

    3. A 20G is too big for a 2004 WRX. It will be too laggy and it will make more power than either your engine or transmission can hold. Pretending this turbo were to last, a 20G will result in both engine and transmission rebuilds.

    4. 440 chp at 9 psi? Wishful thinking.

    God this thread makes me want to vomit. The ignorance that some people display by impulse buying without ANY research or knowledge of exactly what they are doing is frighting.
    Last edited by brfatal; 10-29-2009 at 11:35 AM.

  9. #8
    Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    2,772
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    God this thread makes me want to vomit. The ignorance that some people display by impulse buying without ANY research or knowledge of exactly what they are doing is frighting.
    Why don't you tell him how you really feel?
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

  10. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7

    2004 wrx turbo

    Well I thought the same thing about the cost of this turbo. It was listed as new from a seller w/ a lot of good feedback so I figured I couldn't go wrong if I won it for under $400 which was my max bid. Most of the turbos I found were selling for around $1900. Not having a lot of knowledge about turbos, I thought I was doing good, but now that I research it more I find I probably screwed up, but who knows maybe i got lucky. But the old adage applies, if it seems to good to be true then it probably is.
    My goal is to get my car running for the least amount of money because I was recently in a motorcycle accident that left me jobless and w/a broken leg. I did also find a stock 04 turbo w/ 10,000 mi. on it for $200 but I would like to upgrade my car. I don't want to go crazy w/it but i fI could get around 300hp w/out spending too much, that would be ideal.
    I was hoping I could bolt this 20g on and have it work until I was able to sink more money into it.
    Thanks for every ones input.
    Mike

  11. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX / Sterling, VA
    Posts
    6,629
    I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly, if you're jobless you really should be going with the cheapest option, which is a stock replacement.

    Even with a smaller upgrade, say a used VF39, you still need to buy exhaust, fuel upgrades, and tuning. That's still going to run you over $1,000. You're not even stage 2 at this point. Why not buy a stock turbo, a catless up-pipe, and a downpipe and get tuned? You would be surprised. That's over 50 whp you just gained right there.

    Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    Why don't you tell him how you really feel?
    I think I did.
    Last edited by brfatal; 10-29-2009 at 12:02 PM.

  12. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7

    04 wrx turbo

    I
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    *bangs head on desk*

    There are multiple problems with this.

    1. A 20G is not a plug and play turbo. You're going to spend thousands of dollars on other mods that you need in order to use it. Fuel upgrades, intercooler, exhaust, tuning, suspension (your stock parts are inadequate for a car with this much power) etc.

    2. A $250 eBay turbo is going to be nothing but an expensive Chinese made paperweight. I would not expect that thing to last past just a few thousand miles if that. Turbocharger shaft speed is over 2500 revs per second. That level of precision requires specialized metallurgy, advanced forging techniques and design technology and if you think that you can buy that for $250 you are very mistaken. That turbo WILL go bad, and will do so soon.

    3. A 20G is too big for a 2004 WRX. It will be too laggy and it will make more power than either your engine or transmission can hold. Pretending this turbo were to last, a 20G will result in both engine and transmission rebuilds.

    4. 440 chp at 9 psi? Wishful thinking.

    God this thread makes me want to vomit. The ignorance that some people display by impulse buying without ANY research or knowledge of exactly what they are doing is frighting.
    I appreciate your candor. I was relying on the so called knowledge of my mechanic friend, I am more of a vintage car/motorcycle mechanic. I hope this turbo I bought is not as bad as you claim,but in retrospect you are probably right.
    What do you suggest as the cheapest way to get my car back on the road?

  13. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Honestly, if you're jobless you really should be going with the cheapest option, which is a stock replacement.

    Even with a smaller upgrade, say a used VF39, you still need to buy exhaust, fuel upgrades, and tuning. That's still going to run you over $1,000. You're not even stage 2 at this point. Why not buy a stock turbo, a catless up-pipe, and a downpipe and get tuned? You would be surprised. That's over 50 whp you just gained right there.



    I think I did.
    I received your reply after I wrote my last message.
    Thanks, Mike

  14. #13
    Registered User wrx jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Ocean State!
    Posts
    407
    "Least amount of money" and a 20g or any other turbo other than the stock for that matter does not go together. It shouldn't even be considered.

    Like mentioned earlier, do not skimp out on parts. Especially especially for a turbocharged car. Sell the 20g and try to find a used VF39.

    And for more info on turbos, check this out: Subaru Turbo List - NASIOC

    Hope that helps, good luck!

  15. #14
    Registered User ScoobyWreXX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    Posts
    212
    i remember when we use to help our new members instead of vomiting on them! *cough* Brfatal *cough*

    Stage Eleventy


    "The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame."

  16. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX / Sterling, VA
    Posts
    6,629
    I Support ClubWRX


    I did help him.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •