noobie
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on noobie within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone, this is my first post. Been reading these forums for a couple months or so now. I plan ...

noobie

Hello everyone, this is my first post. Been reading these forums for a couple months or so now. I plan on buying a wrx sometime after X-mas but i don't know how to drive a manual and I don't have anyway of learning how to. Is it a bad idea to learn how to drive a stick on a wrx?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ezekial View Post
    Hello everyone, this is my first post. Been reading these forums for a couple months or so now. I plan on buying a wrx sometime after X-mas but i don't know how to drive a manual and I don't have anyway of learning how to. Is it a bad idea to learn how to drive a stick on a wrx?
    i had this same problem when i was learning how to drive manual...went to a used car dealership with a buddy who did know how to drive stick..we pretended to be interested in a car that was stick, the salesman let us test drive it without him in the car..he drove it off the lot then i got behind the wheel and learned enough to feel comfortable and test drive real cars i was interested in

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w0r0x9 View Post
    we pretended to be interested in a car that was stick, the salesman let us test drive it without him in the car..he drove it off the lot then i got behind the wheel and learned enough to feel comfortable and test drive real cars i was interested in
    i think it's wrong to learn to drive stick when youre test driving a car especially without telling the salesman. but i guess that's a whole other topic.

OP, you dont know ANYONE that can teach you? family and/or friends... maybe even friends of a friend?

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i think it's wrong to learn to drive stick when youre test driving a car especially without telling the salesman. but i guess that's a whole other topic.

OP, you dont know ANYONE that can teach you? family and/or friends... maybe even friends of a friend?
    first off, it was a used car dealership so its not like we were test driving a brand new STI or M3, it was a piece of garbage car with a crap load of miles, so im sure the salesman could have really cared less. i could see this being a problem going to a new car dealership and messing up a brand new car.
    The whole point is that i had NOONE with a car that was willing to teach me in it, which i believe is the OP's original problem, hence the reason why i gave him this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 2w0r0x9 View Post
    first off, it was a used car dealership so its not like we were test driving a brand new STI or M3, it was a piece of garbage car with a crap load of miles, so im sure the salesman could have really cared less. i could see this being a problem going to a new car dealership and messing up a brand new car.
    The whole point is that i had NOONE with a car that was willing to teach me in it, which i believe is the OP's original problem, hence the reason why i gave him this idea.

I gotta agree with you on this. I had no one willing to teach me on their car. I learned by landing a job as a valet at an Acura dealer, telling the manager I knew how to drive stick and beating the sh*t out of customer cars when I had the chance. I wanted to learn and no one was willing to help me out, so I took matters into my own hands. Jokes on them for not insuring my stick-driving skills, or lack thereof.

The WRX I own now was the first car I really drove stick on a regular basis, so you could say I really got it down on this car. I just passed 36,000 miles and I have been kinda hard on the clutch as learned to really get good.

Learn stick however you can. If someone is willing to teach you, then great. If not, find a way. And if someone is dumb enough to look the other way when your driving a car on their dime, then its their problem.
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    Nope. I know a bunch of people that know how to drive a stick, but they don't own manuals anymore.

I learned to drive manual on my car. Just take your time and don't try to drive it like a pro on your 3rd day practicing it. You'll make mistakes for sure but if your gentle your car will be very forgiving. My trans is just fine and the clutch still grips like a champ after I learned.

I Support ClubWRX
    my only suggestion is to try and learn prior to going and looking at the WRX. If you cant find anyone to let you learn, explain the situation, they might have a used 5 speed legacy you can drive first then drive the wrx. Id then suggest purchasing the car you took on the test drive, just to be considerate of others.. Id be pissed buying a new wrx with a clutch that hasnt been properly broke in.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by ezekial View Post
    Nope. I know a bunch of people that know how to drive a stick, but they don't own manuals anymore.
    if this is the case than my suggestion will work perfect for your situation...take one of those friends..go test drive a manual car at a USEDDDDD car dealership...have the friend drive the car off the lot and then you hop in the seat shortly after.. its the best way to learn without a car

Well I lied. My cousin has a '94 toyota paseo that he's teaching me in. Drove around in it today.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.