New to the Rex game
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New to the Rex game within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; just bought an 03 WRX(late model 02) with 77k couple of mods already done: Tein SS w/pillowball mounts Tanabe medallion ...

New to the Rex game

just bought an 03 WRX(late model 02) with 77k

couple of mods already done:

Tein SS w/pillowball mounts
    Tanabe medallion turboback
    FMIC and corresponding piping, not sure on brand
    came with AP1, sent it in for the trade-in deal for the AP2
    Alpine head unit

Needs:
    brake job
    oil change
    broken screws removed from front strut mounts

Soon to be on order:
    Hawk HPS pads
    Goodridge SS lines
    boost gauge
    Innovate Motorsports wideband w/gauge???
    Wix filter
    royal purple 5w30
    winter tires

This car will be my daily winter driver.

Suggestions or comments, lets hear'em.
    03 Bugeye- DD
    95 MX6 LS- money pit

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    HPS pads should be considered lower-dust with slightly lesser performance than stock (others will dispute this and this is my experience having used them, though I doubt you have stock pads now). I would also reconsider the use of Royal Purple.

Add sway bars to your list.
    Last edited by brfatal; 10-21-2009 at 02:26 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    I would also reconsider the use of Royal Purple.

Add sway bars to your list.
    +1
    I concur with Mr. Fatal.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

The only reason I'm using royal purple is because that is what its had its whole life, or so i was told. I will continue to use it for that reason. Otherwise i'd use Valvoline synthetic, like i do in my mazda.
    Whats so bad about RP?

So stocks are better than hawks, good to know. Not sure on what pads are on the car, other than some drilled and slotted rotors.

Stockers are my best bet for price, longevity and performance??

Figured sway bars would come up, seen a lot about this while i was browsing the forum before i was a member.
    03 Bugeye- DD
    95 MX6 LS- money pit

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Club!

I'm on Hawk HPS for over 5 years now. They are superior to stock IMO.

There have been other threads about Royal Purple here ... it is not the best choice for the Subaru engine.

I've always used Mobil 1 5W-30.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Did some searching and i think i will switch to a different oil. Seems like most everyone here uses Mobil 1.

thanks.

Is the front sway bar difficult to remove/replace?

Advice on endlinks?
    Last edited by Scatman03; 10-21-2009 at 04:14 PM.
    03 Bugeye- DD
    95 MX6 LS- money pit

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Scatman03 View Post
    Did some searching and i think i will switch to a different oil. Seems like most everyone here uses Mobil 1.

thanks.

Is the front sway bar difficult to remove/replace?

Advice on endlinks?
    Swaybars are an easy install - the front is a little harder than the rear, but still can be done with not much fuss. Be sure to install with a load on the suspension (ramps work well).

Spherical bearing endlinks are the most precise. I've had Poltecs on the rear for over 4.5 years now - they have held up quite well. Rear End Links
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Registered User Reverand Hustle's Avatar

The oil question again

Scatman03, I think you're right. Most guys are running Mobil1...it seems. I am very new to this Rex thing as well and did my own heavy search on the best oil to use. Funny thing is that everyone and their dog has a different opinion on engine oil. It's almost like the pepsi vs. coke battle. You type purple in Google, you get guys running purple. You type mobil1, guys running nothing but mobil1. And then there is Amsoil!! Which, of course, you have to order. Then, there are even a few guys who swear by non-synthetic oils!!! Speaking of, I talked to the Subaru service guys and apparently Subaru doesn't recommend switching to synthetic oil until you hit 100k. But, so many guys are running synthetic, I figure it can't hurt. Plus, the customer is always right.

all that blabbing to say a couple things:

1) No one can say for sure what the best oil to run in your Rex is. Although, IMO, if we did a poll, I bet Royal Purple would get the worse marks, Mobil1 would be used most frequently due to its availability, and Amsoil would receive the highest marks just cuz the guys running have an exclusive club, likely ordered it online and have bought into the idea "this stuff works!" There is no unbiased empirical evidence that I've seen comparing engine oils in the WRX or similar turbo engines (please show me if you find something).

2) Running synthetic is probably a pretty safe default. Everyone's doing it. Better safe than sorry.

3) IMHO, Overall, I think the #1 thing that factors into how your engine oil performs in your WRX is how often you change it. I swear to my Lord Jesus, God my father, these little engines chew up engine oil like grandma's dentures. I've personally seen my MPG drop roughly 2 miles/gal just because my engine oil was at 2500miles, that sees to be the limit. [Someone else please comment on that, I may be trippin'] I read one post where the guy believed that Royal Purple was a much better engine oil because when he changed oils, he got better gas mileage. If he changed it out to vegetable oil I think would have gotten better gas mileage too. if you haven't changed your oil in a while, you will get better gas mileage regardless. Am I wrong?

Consumer reports just published that engine oil can last up to 7500 miles in a regular car. These things are not regular car.

4) thus, if point 4 is true, then the type of oil you get matters very little. You simply have to be able to afford the oil you get and afford to change it often.

So given this logic, I've tried running Castrol Syntec with no problems. Always on sale at Autozone and they often will give you a Fram oil filter free in the change oil package (I feel like I'm robbing them when they do that, like they don't know what they're giving me).

I try to change my oil out every 2500miles. Maybe I could go longer if I was running a more expensive oil. But daggg... I know what you paid for the Royal Purple!! I would have to run 5000miles to make that worth while. And plus, I just feel better and fuzzy inside after I've pampered my vehicle by changing the oil out.

Bottom line: Walmart brand oil is not going to cut it. Synthetic is recommended. But spending high dollars may not pay-off considering how frequently you probably should be changing your oil.

****if you've made it this far through my verbose post (that rhymes) I would love to get hear what you decide, and perhaps see other opinions.

Registered User Reverand Hustle's Avatar

Advice on endlinks?
    I have whiteline adjustables on cobbs, and they squeak like bed springs. Otherwise, they're great!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.