This is a discussion on New Member within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just picked up a 04 sedan. Good running car, is there anything I should look out for? Any pointers, ...

I just picked up a 04 sedan. Good running car, is there anything I should look out for? Any pointers, this is my first WRX. Itís got 95,000 miles on it. How high is the boost gauge supposed to go up, It registers .15 but only gets up to maybe .1 Is this normal operation? It drops in the negative when just crusing.
    Thanks,Tyson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hello, yes that sounds normal. Make sure the car has had everything listed in the 90k service in the owner's manual. If so, start looking at the items in the 105K service, including the timing belt and at that point, almost invariably, the water pump plus whatever else the "while it's apart anyway..." syndrome one gets with the motor's face off dictates.

Also don't hesitate to change the external accessory belts if they have not been replaced, but do so only with authentic Subaru items to avoid squeaks etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good thanks. The car is all stock, nothing has been touched. The guy I bought it from had the Subaru dealership service recipts from the last 4 years on all the work that had been done. My problem is, there isint a dealership with in 200 miles from my house. I worked on transmissions for 8 years, so i hope the car isnt to difficult to work on.

I Support ClubWRX
    It is not difficult but it can be tedious. I'm hiring out my timing belt replacement (when I get round to it, I've been saying this for months!) because I'd have to do it at home, hunched over the nose, and my back aches thinking about it. With your level of skill, the factory instructions (see online here for user Micah's link in his signature for example, or elsewhere) and a little patience plus a better back you're on your way to victory.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.