Help-noob

This is a discussion on Help-noob within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey peeps, new guy from utah/virginia here. i have a 02 wrx and im havin some issues, earlier today i ...

Registered User silver_stallion's Avatar

Help-noob

Hey peeps, new guy from utah/virginia here. i have a 02 wrx and im havin some issues, earlier today i had smoke coming from my hood, so i took a look and there was smoke coming from my turbo or somewhere in that general area. i pulled over and sat for a min with the car off and it eventually seemed fine, i drove about 45 miles with no problems and i still seemed to b boosting jus fine. then i got a engine code sayin i was running too lean and the car was making some funny noises so i stopped for a bit again and checked it out, but when i went to restart the car it started and then immediately died about 2 or 3 times so i gave it a lil bitta gas and drove home, i have no idea whats goin on but any help wud b appreciated, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by silver_stallion View Post
    Hey peeps, new guy from utah/virginia here. i have a 02 wrx and im havin some issues, earlier today i had smoke coming from my hood, so i took a look and there was smoke coming from my turbo or somewhere in that general area. i pulled over and sat for a min with the car off and it eventually seemed fine, i drove about 45 miles with no problems and i still seemed to b boosting jus fine. then i got a engine code sayin i was running too lean and the car was making some funny noises so i stopped for a bit again and checked it out, but when i went to restart the car it started and then immediately died about 2 or 3 times so i gave it a lil bitta gas and drove home, i have no idea whats goin on but any help wud b appreciated, thanks.
    Post the following:

1. The specific CEL code, including the number.
    2. The modifications done to the car.
    3. The service history of the car.

There seem to be two issues. One is the smoke coming from the turbo area. The two liquids fed to the turbo are oil and water; the smoke was either one of those from the turbo itself or the lines, or it could have been a liquid lost elsewhere that ended up on the turbo or the exhaust and smoked up. The CEL if it was a PO171 could mean a dirty MAF or a leak in the intake. The more specific you get the better people will be able to help.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User silver_stallion's Avatar
    idk the exact code, i read it with my acessport all it said was bank 1, i'm running stg 2, turbo back exhaust and jus some samco sport intercooler hoses, as for the service history of the car i know its been taken care of i jus bought it from my bro inlaw it has a new transmission but theres 105,xxx miles on the turbo and engine, the idle is running really low now but my boost and seems to be the same as it has been.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Take it to Autozone and have them pull the code.

...and before you drive it again, check oil and coolant levels. If one of them is low/missing then it may point you into the right general direction of which system to look for problems at. After all, something sprayed out of the engine.
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube