Newbie with a question!

This is a discussion on Newbie with a question! within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just bought a 2002 subaru wrx automatic (good price so i had no choice) with 136k stock runs great! ...

Exclamation Newbie with a question!

I just bought a 2002 subaru wrx automatic (good price so i had no choice) with 136k stock runs great! but when i first start the car in the morning i hear a little knocking sound, after about 10-15 minutes of driving this sound eventually lowers to the point that i can barely hear it but it is still present! It also has a small transmission leak, about how much would cost me to fix this leak? The car has a lot of miles and i would like to not spend too much on it. But I am thinking it would be a good idea to take it in for a check up and if there are problems with the car i will just fix the most important ones.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like piston slap in the morning. If so, normal and not much to do. Make sure the timing belt was done at 105K. Welcome.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Video

Thanks for the reply man!
    Here is a video i made you can hear the knocking pretty clear!

YouTube - 2002 WRX Piston slap or what?

yep thats just your normal cold morning piston slap, you should hear mine in the dead of winter in wisconsin.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vttk_mig69 View Post
    yep thats just your normal cold morning piston slap...
    +1
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

thxs

Thanks for the replies guys, im a little relieved! Should i be worried.. does it get worse? Sorry for the noob questions

WRX/STI Motor/piston slap/Valve springs

my buddy seems to know alot about WRX/STI motors im learning alot very fast. i have that same sounds. He said we could drop the motor and torque the valve springs down to stock torque and it will help but he also laughed and said WRX/STI motors have the worlds worst idle.. haha.. i said ok .. but im not sure if you do have to drop the motor but i would think so because you cant get into the valves due to pistons on the side VS. the top.

Ty

Wrinklechops
    Yea, that sounds pretty normal to me. Hard to tell 100% but from the video it sounds normal. Probably just not used to the boxer motor sound. That's how I was when I first got mine

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by dias724 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, im a little relieved! Should i be worried.. does it get worse? Sorry for the noob questions
    Generally no it won't really get much worse.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links: