what have you done with your double Ds
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on what have you done with your double Ds within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; ive done searches trying to figure out what people have done as their 1st mods after buying a wrx.. a ...

ive done searches trying to figure out what people have done as their 1st mods after buying a wrx.. a good number of people say to get an up pipe and down pipe, some say to upgrade the turbo, some say to upgrade the brakes first because their is no point in going faster if you can't stop, some say springs, and so on..

my question is, are any of these mods worth it if this car's sole purpose for now is to be a DAILY DRIVER.. i live in philly and its tough to even get her out of second gear between stop signs sometime.. is it worth it to do any mods that will add more hp and possibly require an EMS, or should i stick to brakes and suspension for now since the only time i get to really feel the power of the car is my occasional late night highway rides??
    07 wrx tr.. i finally got one
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #138

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    TiC 06+ 5MT Impreza Super Shifter Set - WIDE Turn In Concepts

Driveline modifications are relatively cheap, pretty easy to install, and bang-for-the-buck, they're some of the best mods I've done so far.

Maybe a set of swaybars/endlinks after that.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ragz-REX View Post
    i a good number of people say to get an up pipe and down pipe
    i know this was just an example but keep in mind 06+ wrx's & all sti's come with a catless uppipe from the factory, so an aftermarket one isnt necessary.

as far as first mods- if you have the money i'd just start with a turboback & a tune. cant really go wrong with it. even for a daily driver, i think you'd be happy w/ that. also- once i went stage 2 my gas mileage increased! yayy. another good reason to do it

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Hey man, love to hear philly guys on here. Turbo back, tune is a great start. Earlier (05 and earlier) should swap the upipe to get rid of the danger of cat breaking and going into the turbo. Brakes are great on our cars and most of us dont even use them to half their capabilities, they are expensive and not needed till more drive train mods are applied. Sways and end links are good but again for a daily driver you will notice no diff with them. They are great when you start tracking your car though.

Tuesday nights allot of ppl meet on the art museum steps at like 9pm. I wont be there this week but you should check it out. Just drive round back of the AM and park on the top for some sweet photo ops.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by motherboyxx
    Brakes are great on our cars and most of us dont even use them to half their capabilities, they are expensive and not needed till more drive train mods are applied.
    A decent set of pads, SS lines, and good fluid can run you < $300 and will make a difference. They may not be needed, but they're definitely a functional modification.

Quote Originally Posted by motherboyxx
    Sways and end links are good but again for a daily driver you will notice no diff with them.
    Even a moderate upgrade like 24mm F / 22mm R sways will be noticeable.
    Last edited by EJ257; 10-16-2009 at 07:12 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I have done many things with my double D's...

With my wrx the first thing I did was get Rally Armor mudflaps. I got them before anything else because where I live there are a lot of farms. There is always a lot of dirt and mud tracked onto the road. Call it investing in my investment.

Next up I want to get a tactrix cable, because you have to have to have some kind of engine management before you get any more real power. I've heard that stage 2 is perfect for a fast DD.

Where you are in Pennsylvania are there those nasty concrete roads? The ones that go THU-THUNK, THU-THUNK, THU-THUNK? If so I'd stay away from anything tightening up your suspension too much. I drove my Prelude up there on coil-overs and literally had to stop every once in a while to get some rest from it.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    once i went stage 2 my gas mileage increased! yayy. another good reason to do it
    + 1 for the gas improvement on stage 2. I always thought it would sink once I went stage 2 but darn, it's not bad. Last time using AP average gas mileage and not really driving like a granny, I was at a cool 27 highway

A K&N drop-in is a good investment as well. As well as intake silencer delete.
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

if you can rarely get out of second gear like you say, then honestly whats the point of mods at all unless you plan on going to the track..if i was you i would just save my money and enjoy the car for what its got..just my 2cents

Quote Originally Posted by 2w0r0x9 View Post
    if you can rarely get out of second gear like you say, then honestly whats the point of mods at all unless you plan on going to the track..if i was you i would just save my money and enjoy the car for what its got..just my 2cents
    well, i exaggerated a little bit on the 2nd gear thing, but mostly i only get to 3rd and an occasional 4th right around where i live.. but on my way to work i have a stretch of highway about 9 miles long that i get to open her up on everyday..

thanks for all the suggestions and idea..

ps, guero, the first thing i did was get rally armor mud flaps too, less for functionality and more for the bad ass look..
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #138

I can't say it here, it'd get me banned
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

how many views do you think this thread will get just because of the name? i think that envelope will be on fire by tonight..
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #138

how many views do you think this thread will get just because of the name? i think that envelope will be on fire by tonight..
    The title was a clever trick on your part! I was really expecting something not-safe-for-work

But sadly everyone, including me, is a total car geek for missing the title and getting all uppipe/downpipe/snorkel/swaybar technical
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

I Support ClubWRX
    Mine is a daily driver... and look at my modifications list... and I still have a long way to go
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Daily driver

\/

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    A decent set of pads, SS lines, and good fluid can run you < $300 and will make a difference. They may not be needed, but they're definitely a functional modification.

Even a moderate upgrade like 24mm F / 22mm R sways will be noticeable.
    Yeah i guess i just drive like a pansy, I didnt really notice a diff till I went to the track. Also depends on the environment that "everyday" driving takes place in.

Def agree about the ss lines and pads...i mean i got stop tech rotors soon after I bought the car. I just think they are not needed right away, my opinion though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.