newbie - 2009 WRX sedan - looking forward to help/mods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on newbie - 2009 WRX sedan - looking forward to help/mods within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I purchased my first WRX a year ago, a 2004 with several easy mods already installed, paint, tint, gauges, ...

newbie - 2009 WRX sedan - looking forward to help/mods

So I purchased my first WRX a year ago, a 2004 with several easy mods already installed, paint, tint, gauges, upgraded innercooler, CA intake, etc. I liked it, but could not fall in love, becasue it was an auto (sorry to those of you who are into that type of thing). I had to upgrade. I graduated from college and got dumped into the real world where I quickly found it necessary to continue living like a college frat boy, eating the cheapest of food and having my TV on cinders, so I could afford the new car. I didn't get the loan for the STi, but I did my research and found that the WRX had so much potential, plus I still enjoy the sedan.

There she was, premium package, lightning red, 5MT, 4 door sedan with 86 miles. I live in Maryland, so I got a great deal becasue the pussies in this area don't want to drive a red car. Five weeks and 3000 miles later, this weekend marks the beginning of what will be a great investment.
    After an oil change and a tint installation appointment, I will spent the rest of the weekend installing several new hoses, speakers, and a hybrid BOV.
    I've got my wish list with huge CA intake, exhaust, downpipe, (to go stage 2), lights, innercooler, shirt shift kit, boost soleniod valve, sport springs, positive steering response system, and coiolcovers. The plan right now is to assemble some parts and then upgrade fully when Uncle Sam gives me his April high-five! Eventually, maybe, hopefully, we can talk about upgrading to a BT and HP clutch/fly, along with the supporting mods of course, but that seems like a while away...

I am an enthusiast, but I am not very experienced doing my own work, so I perform a great deal of research to make sure I am getting the best possible products. Thank you for the advise thus far, and I look forward to the conversations that are yet to come.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

We're actually really trying to build the 3rd gen community here. You should check out the links in my sig and join us. The group is really starting to pick up speed!

I'm hoping a year from now a lot of the guinea pig DIY work will be done so we can have some solid write ups for people new to the car.

Sounds like you have a great plan together, if you ever do something to the car that you aren't sure if it's been done before, take some pictures and post a write up! We really could use it at this point.

Most of all though, welcome to the forums!

Awesome!

Thanks, it'll help being in the 3rd gen group...

being at work and all, haven't had too much time to look around while clicking back and forth between several IE pages open to scooby pics and actual 'work.' haha

glad to be here...

Welcome from another Marylander with an '09 sedan. Where in MD are you?

I was one of the "p's" that didn't want a red car and required the charcoal grey; however, I've seen another red one somewhere in moco that looked nice. Tint on the windows and tails with the dark wheels looks sharp on the red.

haha, well no offense, but thanks for allowing me to get a few thousand knocked off. It also came with a free premium package and gunmetal thick 8 spoke, so with the tint, and rockblocker smoked tails, it will be a good addition. Thanks!

I live in Columbia, about 20 miles due east of BWI Airport.

Where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by OneHappyRainbow View Post
    haha, well no offense, but thanks for allowing me to get a few thousand knocked off. It also came with a free premium package and gunmetal thick 8 spoke, so with the tint, and rockblocker smoked tails, it will be a good addition. Thanks!

I live in Columbia, about 20 miles due east of BWI Airport.

Where are you?
    I'm in Chevy Chase. I often head up to Columbia to go to the home brew store.

What % of tint? I went with 35% on the windows to keep it legal for a change and Laminx gunsmoke for the tails, which looks nice but their "fitted" kit is a bit on the small side.

I was happy with the deal I got on mine so no worries. I went back and forth with a few dealerships in the area and in the end Herb Gordon crushed their competitors. I got about $1000 below invoice and close to the KBB trade in value for my 2005 Nissan Frontier--was very happy about that as nobody around the beltway wants a lifted 4wd 6-speed gas guzzler. No regrets after 6 months and 2,300 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I'm in Chevy Chase. I often head up to Columbia to go to the home brew store.

What % of tint? I went with 35% on the windows to keep it legal for a change and Laminx gunsmoke for the tails, which looks nice but their "fitted" kit is a bit on the small side.

I was happy with the deal I got on mine so no worries. I went back and forth with a few dealerships in the area and in the end Herb Gordon crushed their competitors. I got about $1000 below invoice and close to the KBB trade in value for my 2005 Nissan Frontier--was very happy about that as nobody around the beltway wants a lifted 4wd 6-speed gas guzzler. No regrets after 6 months and 2,300 miles.

I am also going 35% all around to keep it legal for a change. Getting it done at Performance Window Tinting in Columbia. They have High Performance, Carbon, and Nano-Ceramic types from SunTek ($170-450 for 4 door sedan). But I can't be too picky I suppose; I lived in PA, and they only allow 70% all around. I am thinking about getting something on the front/rear windows also, but I'd have to have the part already on my car before I brand myself. Maybe I'll leave the rear alone and just put a white logo under some like 50% on the front windshield. MD law allows 5 inches on the windshield.

I also purchased mine at Mile One Auto, Herb Gordon Subaru/Volvo - the one in silver springs. Just okay service, and decent, but not superb knowledge, but a good deal nonetheless...

Glad to see some more MD people. I'm an accountant and was over in Columbia for a few months earlier this year at a client (U.S. Foodservice) but they are moving to Chicago so I'm off that now. I'm up in white marsh which isn't too far away.

I'm debating about getting the windows tinted too - can I ask how much it'll run? I have not considered it enough to pick up the phone. I have a hatchback.

So here is a question - what was the invoice price? Because I have seen several different prices thrown around (obviously i know they will be slightly difference w/ difference part on them) however, I would expect them to be somewhat similar. The "Invoice" i got was $27,200 which was a prem 5dr that had a cargo net and i think wheel locks.

Oh...I almost forgot...Welcome to the club!
    2009 WRX 5 door White - "wht out"
    1998 VW Passat 1.8T Black - blown engine
    1988 Porsche 944 Black - sold
    1999 Honda CBR 600 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by brbauer View Post
    Glad to see some more MD people. I'm an accountant and was over in Columbia for a few months earlier this year at a client (U.S. Foodservice) but they are moving to Chicago so I'm off that now. I'm up in white marsh which isn't too far away.

I'm debating about getting the windows tinted too - can I ask how much it'll run? I have not considered it enough to pick up the phone. I have a hatchback.

So here is a question - what was the invoice price? Because I have seen several different prices thrown around (obviously i know they will be slightly difference w/ difference part on them) however, I would expect them to be somewhat similar. The "Invoice" i got was $27,200 which was a prem 5dr that had a cargo net and i think wheel locks.

Oh...I almost forgot...Welcome to the club!

I put the rates in my last reply. $170-450 depending on type of tint. I am getting the middle grade stuff put on for $150 ( i have a coupon).

I think my sticker said $27,400, prem pkg, wheel locks, weather matts, and a few other things, but I paid a good bit less than that.

My cousin lives in white marsh. He helps em with my WRX and I help him with his VW GTi, so we get a lot of cross talk and races and such that way. I love it becasue He just went stage 1 and I am still a few HP above his. Even though he has a little more torque, we still run grill to grill, for now...haha...

and thank you!

Tint the tails, tint the windows and tint the lip of the hood scoop!!! Then she will be looking mean!!!

Welcome aboard, please join the 2 groups in the sig!! Lets build our community!!!

Examples...... I love my car! hahaha

09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i wouldnt tint the tails. i think it looks tacky. however, red overlays look fantastic.

DIY:2009 wrx tail light mod (only 10 dollars!!!!!!!!!!) - NASIOC

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

[QUOTE=wrxtreme06;2529295]i wouldnt tint the tails. i think it looks tacky. however, red overlays look fantastic.QUOTE]

Tacky?????? Really?????

Plus I did use an overlay vinyl (they are not spray tinted) which is exactly the same thing it just doesnt have the cutouts.
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by binjoau View Post
    Tacky?????? Really?????
    yes. any grey tinted/smoked/blacked out taillights on any car looks tacky IMO. the red overlays are nice though.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I guess everyone is entitled to their 2 cents, as long as Im happy with it lol.

Tbh the main reason I didnt go with the red overlays is because the car is red and I thought it would look a little overpowering having no contrast across the tailights.

Its all good though!!

PS: sorry for the mini hijack!!!
    Last edited by binjoau; 10-14-2009 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i wouldnt tint the tails. i think it looks tacky
    I think it all depends on the vehicle and color. Complete black outs aren't for me but I think the 08+ WRXs look nice with a light tint.

Here's mine:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast