newbie - 2009 WRX sedan - looking forward to help/mods - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on newbie - 2009 WRX sedan - looking forward to help/mods within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I think that looks great!...

I think that looks great!
    09 WRX Premium: AP, Perrin Stage 2, Perrin Intake, Perrin SS, Perrin TBE, BC Racing Coilovers
    Pioneer and JL Audio C2, W3, G6600 Stink eye Mob #24
    08+ Owners Gallery, add yours!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

[QUOTE=economatic;2529334]I think it all depends on the vehicle and color. Complete black outs aren't for me but I think the 08+ WRXs look nice with a light tint.

What % is that? I'd say 50 or higher. 70%?

And did you do anything to the tails also? They look darker, but ti is a little deceiving with the charcoal. I love it though...

[QUOTE=OneHappyRainbow;2529691]
    Quote Originally Posted by economatic View Post
    I think it all depends on the vehicle and color. Complete black outs aren't for me but I think the 08+ WRXs look nice with a light tint.

What % is that? I'd say 50 or higher. 70%?

And did you do anything to the tails also? They look darker, but ti is a little deceiving with the charcoal. I love it though...

Nope, the tint is 35%. I went with 3M nonmetallic so maybe it is technically 38% but I've found the % quoted by manufacturers vary greatly. For example, on my Yaris I have 20% on the back windows and on the fronts 35% with 50% over that, which should work out to 17.5% but they are clearly lighter than the 20%.

Tail lights were done with Laminx gunsmoke, which they claim is 91% but I don't buy it. If you go with Laminx do not order their fitted kits--they are cut just a bit too short so you have to stretch the material for complete coverage. They go on fine but after 3-4 weeks they tend to shrink. I've had to go out a couple times with a heat gun to restretch them. If they gave an extra inch of material it would be no problem...but I am a novice so I'm sure a pro installer would have no problems.

[QUOTE=economatic;2529696]
    Quote Originally Posted by OneHappyRainbow View Post

Nope, the tint is 35%. I went with 3M nonmetallic so maybe it is technically 38% but I've found the % quoted by manufacturers vary greatly. For example, on my Yaris I have 20% on the back windows and on the fronts 35% with 50% over that, which should work out to 17.5% but they are clearly lighter than the 20%.

Tail lights were done with Laminx gunsmoke, which they claim is 91% but I don't buy it. If you go with Laminx do not order their fitted kits--they are cut just a bit too short so you have to stretch the material for complete coverage. They go on fine but after 3-4 weeks they tend to shrink. I've had to go out a couple times with a heat gun to restretch them. If they gave an extra inch of material it would be no problem...but I am a novice so I'm sure a pro installer would have no problems.

Wow, it definitely looks lighter than that.
    Anyway, the tails look good, I do like that, but do you have any other suggestions on a product that actually fits?

Quote Originally Posted by OneHappyRainbow View Post
    Wow, it definitely looks lighter than that.
    Anyway, the tails look good, I do like that, but do you have any other suggestions on a product that actually fits?
    The windows do look lighter than usual in that picture--probably because it was a very sunny day. Overall I'm happy with the legal look but some times I wish I would have gone with 20%. I've just dealt with illegal tint for so long that I grew tired of applying, getting ticketed, removal...repeat. With 35% I'll be legal for my time in MD as well as when I move to OR in a couple years.

Go for the sheets of Laminx for the tails rather than the fitted ones. They are only about $10 more and you'll have extra in case you want to do fog lights or the brake light strip on the spoiler (I didn't want to). If you do go the Laminx route when applying removing the tail lights and use of a heat gun makes it really easy. Just don't trim excess material right away.

Question SPT Parts

I am about to buy a 2010 wrx. Are any of the SPT options worth getting besides a shortshifter? Engine mounts, trans mounts, braces etc. It seems like subaru offers a ton of options and I'm sure that not all of them are worth it.

I am going to assume that after market intake and exhaust is the better way to go than factory upgrades

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Papapapaul View Post
    I am about to buy a 2010 wrx. Are any of the SPT options worth getting besides a shortshifter? Engine mounts, trans mounts, braces etc. It seems like subaru offers a ton of options and I'm sure that not all of them are worth it.

I am going to assume that after market intake and exhaust is the better way to go than factory upgrades

Thanks.
    The exhaust is debateable and dependent on what you want to do with the car. I have the SPT exhaust on my sedan and love the sound but I have no plans of taking it past stage 2 (...anytime soon).

I think the shifter is overpriced if you're having it installed. There are plenty of aftermarket alternatives for a fraction of the cost.

Others can chime in on the other SPT parts but my guess is they are likely overpriced or there are other more cost effective mods than what Subaru offers.

'10 hatch wrx

I'm looking to purchase a black '10 wrx hatch premium, but I guess there's only 3 left in CA. The dealer gave me a 27,000 deal but they're crossing their fingers since northern dealers are lazy and have to ship down to LA on a truck.

I'm having hard time getting this car in black.

I'm about to compromise and get it in silver metallic or non -premium something in dealer stock.

what do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by 10wrx View Post
    I'm looking to purchase a black '10 wrx hatch premium, but I guess there's only 3 left in CA. The dealer gave me a 27,000 deal but they're crossing their fingers since northern dealers are lazy and have to ship down to LA on a truck.

I'm having hard time getting this car in black.

I'm about to compromise and get it in silver metallic or non -premium something in dealer stock.

what do you guys think?

I ended up getting the lightning red becasue it was so much less expensive. I liked the charcoal, black, and blue more, but I am happy with my purchase.

Use the fact that you can't get exactly what you want to your advantage. Subaru cares! lol
    it got me the premium package for free...

ya Papapapaul.... ur idea is seems good thinking of i9t only....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.