a few stupid shifting questions

This is a discussion on a few stupid shifting questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so ive had my 07 wrx for a little over a month now and am still trying to figure out ...

a few stupid shifting questions

so ive had my 07 wrx for a little over a month now and am still trying to figure out this whole shifting thing.. i don't really have a problem starting the car moving in 1st anymore but its the shifting into second and third that tends to be sometimes a little bumpy..

i tend to shift from 1st to 2nd at about 3000rpm and 2nd to 3rd at about the same rpms. i know that im not getting the most power out of the engine this way, but for now im just trying to learn to shift properly.. ive read people say that practice is the only way to learn but sometimes i feel like all im practicing is old bad habits..

there is a balance point when the car is in first and you are starting to roll forward where you apply gas or stall, is this the same point i should be looking for when shifting into 2nd and 3rd?

also, once i get to 3rd or 4th gear and know that i am going to have to stop i usually tend to coast in neutral instead of downshifting.. i know this will wear my brakes but downshifting isn't something im comfortable with yet.. is this really bad?

and last, to end my list of noob questions, when coming into a sharp corner in 3rd or 4th gear, should you down shift before you get to beginning of the turn while slowing down, then accelerate thru the turn.. or should you remain in the higher gear and basically coast around the corner, and then accelerate after the turn is over?

thanks for any help..
    07 wrx tr.. i finally got one
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #138

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Different people have different driving techniques. I usually put the car in neutral if I know I am coming to a stop. Coming to a turn I downshift and slow before and entering the turn then accelerate through and out of the turn. During normal driving I shift at or around 3k. Never have your car in too high of a gear as it will put too much strain on your tranny. Important thing is to be comfortable with your driving so take it slow until you feel confident and you will find shifting/downshifting and what not second nature.
    Good Luck and drive safely
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

Howdy,
    Smooth up shifting depends on a couple of things. Most important and influential on smooth is your acceleration rate. If you are doing hard acceleration it is challanging to get a smooth shift gear to gear. usually under light acceleration you can basically let the clutch out gently and away you go.

on even ground when you are not in a big hurry try 1,3,5 assuming a light load (not full with your friends). this works really well. this will not work with a heavy load in the car or if ou are trying to go uphill at any point as it will lug the engine too much and that is bad. lugging is when the engine will not "freely" increse speed for whatever gear you are in.

Going around curves and intersections is a choice thing for gears.
    generally being in 2 or 3 works if you are above 15 mph . learning down shifting takes a decent amount of practice and Philly itself is not that free of an area where you can experiment without upsetting the folks behind you.

Braking around 25-35 mph is not going to be excessive wear on the brakes unless you attempt to stop the car in about 15 feet

The gears on just about every manual gearbox car/truck are about 500 RPM's apart from each other except for any overdrive gears. this should help you in calculating your down shift RPM. example you want to do engine braking and you are in 4th gear. in order to get a good braking effect basically note the RPM in 4th and go to "N" and make the engine RPM about a 1000 RPM higher than it was and put the gear shift in 2 and then take your foot off the gas. instant succesful downshift.
    Have fun
    2009 STI WRB
    The light at the end of the tunnel is most likely an oncoming train

Quote Originally Posted by Chessie View Post
    on even ground when you are not in a big hurry try 1,3,5 assuming a light load
    what is 1,3,5?

is that how long between shifts, like counting 1 mississippi -or- is that shifting from 1st to 3rd then from 3rd to 5th without going into 2nd and 4th?
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #138

I Support ClubWRX
    The ONLY thing you can do it practice... practice... practice!

After you get it down, then learn how to rev match

After that, learn how to heel-toe shift

Honestly... the best thing for my shifting has been drag racing (at the track... you get to see on a piece of paper your improvements in shifting!)

And mountain driving has really helped my heel-toe shifting...

The only thing that can help though, is practice!

Good luck!!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I got my car about three months ago. So i know what your going through.

I just got comfortable with double clutching when down shifting. So if im coming off a highway to a stop. I do that through 2nd or 3rd, and then just coast in neutral.

You might wanna try watching some youtube videos. As sad as it sounds it actually worked for me =]

and I think its using first, third, fifth.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    The ONLY thing you can do it practice... practice... practice!
    i know that everyones' answer is going to be PRACTICE, but how do you practice driving a car more smoothly if you aren't sure what is causing it to be so rough?

the funny thing is that when i drive my friends manual 97 jetta i don't have any of the shifting issues, maybe its the faster engine that i have to get used to..
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #138

Quote Originally Posted by ragz-REX View Post
    so ive had my 07 wrx for a little over a month now and am still trying to figure out this whole shifting thing.. i don't really have a problem starting the car moving in 1st anymore but its the shifting into second and third that tends to be sometimes a little bumpy..
    What I tend to find is that, by shifting a bit earlier- around 2200 RPM's- the clutch will engage MUCH more smoother than at 3k. 3k is about the range where the car will want to pull, hence the "bucking". It will also save gas
    there is a balance point when the car is in first and you are starting to roll forward where you apply gas or stall, is this the same point i should be looking for when shifting into 2nd and 3rd?
    Not necessarily. 1st gear is the tallest out of all of them, so it will be different from 2nd and 3rd. It just takes practice. Redundant as that sounds, these cars are very picky on how we drive them.

also, once i get to 3rd or 4th gear and know that i am going to have to stop i usually tend to coast in neutral instead of downshifting.. i know this will wear my brakes but downshifting isn't something im comfortable with yet.. is this really bad?
    If you are on a straight coming to a stop, coasting in neutral is fine. I believe downshifting is better for racing or safety. If you know you are slowing down, but there are a few turns left/ traffic is present/ inclement weather, you will want to be in gear.

and last, to end my list of noob questions, when coming into a sharp corner in 3rd or 4th gear, should you down shift before you get to beginning of the turn while slowing down, then accelerate thru the turn.. or should you remain in the higher gear and basically coast around the corner, and then accelerate after the turn is over?

thanks for any help..
    When I want to take the turn at a faster speed, I tend to rev match the speed I have (4th at 40mph to 3rd at 40mph), and shift after the turn.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

thanks for explaining some of that to me.. i feel like i had such an easier time learning to ride my cbr 600 than i am this car.. but they are both equally as fun..
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #138

I Support ClubWRX
    Learn how to shift without the clutch.... Those are the sweet spots. There isn't a set RPM that's going to engage... it's a ratio. If you shift at 7k, it's not going to shift well at 2k... it'll be better at about 4.5k... do you see what I mean? That's all part of rev-matching... and the toughest on the car, but easiest way to learn is by shifting without the clutch. Read up on it, it's totally possible on our cars.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Learn how to shift without the clutch.... Those are the sweet spots. There isn't a set RPM that's going to engage... it's a ratio. If you shift at 7k, it's not going to shift well at 2k... it'll be better at about 4.5k... do you see what I mean? That's all part of rev-matching... and the toughest on the car, but easiest way to learn is by shifting without the clutch. Read up on it, it's totally possible on our cars.
    +1 Rev match daily..partly because i get to lazy to push the clutch in...learned on an 86 F150 tho, not an 07 STI, much easier/more fluid in new cars.