Quick question?

This is a discussion on Quick question? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; A friend told me he puts fuel injector cleaner when he gets his oil changed. I talked to my uncle ...

Quick question?

A friend told me he puts fuel injector cleaner when he gets his oil changed. I talked to my uncle that knows quite a bit about cars and he said it is not good for the car. Can I get some help on this? If it's not harmful to the car. Is it bad to put in a wrx? I bought a bottle but was unsure if it's safe and safe with a turbo?

Can anyone give me the correct answer if I should or shouldn't use it?

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cabikejumper View Post
    If it's not harmful to the car. Is it bad to put in a wrx?
    "It" above can include any one of dozens, if not hundreds, if products available anywhere at any time. The composition can vary but they are generally solvent-based.

Can anyone give me the correct answer if I should or shouldn't use it?
    The best experts on Subaru motors can - Subaru themselves. They've already answered this in writing, in the owner's manual, where they do not recommend any fuel or oil additive. If you are posting from somewhere in the western world the fuel you buy is already formulated for years of use. Just maintain the car according to the factory schedule.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks for the help

I hve search google and all links I have read they say it's good to use.

Good thing I didn't use the bottle and got the right advice

thanks alot

As far as the sch maint goes,
    I just bought the car 4 weeks ago. How would I be able to know if the first owner did the 90k mile maint?

I bought it with 99256 miles has 10083 on it now.

I Support ClubWRX
    I doubt a major brand product will hurt the car but I have not seen any evidence beyond what's anecdotal floating around to show it is necessary. I don't use it on any of my cars.

As for the 90K schedule, you can see if the dealer has records. I'd not bother though, I'd actually ignore the 90K and do the 105K instead now, since the 105K includes the timing belt and almost invariably the water pump. This implies a coolant drain, taking care of that item, and you may as well change the accessory belts (with authentic Subaru items) while it's all apart. Add an oil change, oil filter, air filter, and brake fluid and you've covered most items I can think of between the two service lists anyway. Rotate the wheels and check the brake pads too, and check for any leaks on the driveline. Also if you cannot find a record of service then change the gear oil in the gearbox and rear differential.

You will then need spark plugs at 120K assuming it was done at 60K. See owner's manual for maintenance schedule, I follow it closely and it's not too expensive usually plus it's thorough.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks you have been a huge help