Buying WRX, Important Questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Buying WRX, Important Questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi everybody, My name is Chris and I currently have a 2003 Acura RSX with soem nice mods. I'm looking ...

Buying WRX, Important Questions

Hi everybody,

My name is Chris and I currently have a 2003 Acura RSX with soem nice mods. I'm looking at getting an 02 WRX and found one that I like nearby. I have some questions about it and thought I would ask you guys.

Coming from a Honda, I can tell the exact difference between different engines just by looking at them, but I haven't quite figured out Subaru engines yet lol.

I'm posting pics of the engine and car, my main question is, Why does the TMIC say STi when this car is just a WRX?

Is this a six speed STi motor swapped into the 2002 WRX?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    I doubt it has a tranny swap but it is possible. Looks like somebody did some engine mods. Aftermarket intake, as you noticed the STI intercooler, BOV. I'd say its possible someone put a bigger turbo on this car at one point and its either still there or they put it back to stock before selling.

The main reasons people put STI intercoolers on wrx's are to either put a bigger turbo, or simply for the looks, i'd get all the info you can on the car and post that up here.

On another note, that is one clean engine. Some would say thats a good things, some would say its bad.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

This is what looks like a stock WRX intercooler on a stock looking EJ20 (2.0 L flat 4). Visually, you can recognize a STi engine by its distinctive light red colored intake manifold. Regular 2.0 wrx or non STi 2.5 are silver.

The STi logo is just a cool visual mod. Or maybe it is a STi (02-03) intercooler.

The after market blow of valve and CAI are a big NO!
    Last edited by WagonGuy; 10-05-2009 at 11:42 AM.
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Turns out the car was already sold

But thanks for everyones help, I found another car for sale in NY. It's an 02 with an 04 spec front conversion.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonGuy View Post
    This is what looks like a stock WRX intercooler on a stock looking EJ20 (2.0 L flat 4). Visually, you can recognize a STi engine by its distinctive light red colored intake manifold. Regular 2.0 wrx or non STi 2.5 are silver.

The STi logo is just a cool visual mod. Or maybe it is a STi (02-03) intercooler.

The after market blow of valve and CAI are a big NO!
    That's an STI intercooler. And why is an aftermarket CAI bad (this car has a short ram air btw)?

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    That's an STI intercooler. And why is an aftermarket CAI bad (this car has a short ram air btw)?
    I have a feeling my answer to your question (which has been beaten to death gazillion times already) will come back and bite my butt, but anyway here's my take on what I said. There is no need for a cold air intake (or short ram air) on stock or lightly modified subaru engine because the stock air box can handle way more air then it currently is, and certain intakes (except SPT, COBB, K&N) tend to mess up MAF readings due to air turbulence caused by improper design. Installing an aftermarket intake on a stock or lightly modified engine has purely aesthetic purpose as it enhances not only the look of the engine compartment but also the intake sound of a spooling turbocharger, while producing little to none power gains.

Now, my question to you. You mentioned that the intake in the picture is a short ram air, if there were a shield separating the engine compartment from the intake, would that make it CAI?
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WagonGuy View Post
    I have a feeling my answer to your question (which has been beaten to death gazillion times already) will come back and bite my butt, but anyway here's my take on what I said. There is no need for a cold air intake (or short ram air) on stock or lightly modified subaru engine because the stock air box can handle way more air then it currently is, and certain intakes (except SPT, COBB, K&N) tend to mess up MAF readings due to air turbulence caused by improper design. Installing an aftermarket intake on a stock or lightly modified engine has purely aesthetic purpose as it enhances not only the look of the engine compartment but also the intake sound of a spooling turbocharger, while producing little to none power gains.

Now, my question to you. You mentioned that the intake in the picture is a short ram air, if there were a shield separating the engine compartment from the intake, would that make it CAI?
    Many manufacturers these days make proper intakes that don't throw off MAF readings. Certainly more than what you listed and including the AEM model in the above car.

And despite what you said, intakes have been proven power makers on lightly modded stage 2 WRXs and STIs.

No, shielding is not what makes an intake a CAI. What determines the type is where the air feeds from.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.