02 Wrx

This is a discussion on 02 Wrx within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, i just bought my first subi. Its an 02 wrx, and im already in love with it. Its ...

02 Wrx

Hey guys, i just bought my first subi.

Its an 02 wrx, and im already in love with it. Its got an sti intercooler, bov, turbo back exhaust, and last but not least a vacuum leak .

I bought it off of a deal in Illinois and he said i could bring it back there and his guys would take a look at it but im really not to worried about it. Im just looking at this as a way to play under the hood of my new car.

Just figured i would introduce myself, and tips for a first timer?
    Ive already read a bunch of guides and stuff but i dont remember all of the ones i read. So if you want send me all the Newbie Subi links again.

Thanks,

Trevor

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Read the stickies on each forum thread. Welcome, post some pics of the car when you get a chance.

Keep your stock BPV do not put a BOV on.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ05 View Post
    Read the stickies on each forum thread. Welcome, post some pics of the car when you get a chance.

Keep your stock BPV do not put a BOV on.
    The BOV was already on the car when i bought it. They didnt have any of the stock parts otherwise it would be going back on.

And why would the BPV be better than a BOV?

And my avatar was the first picture i took of her. It was raining when i bought it so no more pictures yet.

read the bov stickies for more detailed explanation but bov makes your cars computer think it needs to over compensate for the pressure the bov is releasing... this can lead to a lot of different problems from fouled plugs to more serious things
    bugeye mafia #232
    World Rally Blue 2002 WRX Stage 2 290 awhp
    my mods

Quote Originally Posted by Price is right View Post
    read the bov stickies for more detailed explanation but bov makes your cars computer think it needs to over compensate for the pressure the bov is releasing... this can lead to a lot of different problems from fouled plugs to more serious things
    Big BOV Thread

I read through the first couple pages of that thread and through another thread on NASIOC. It does seem to create more problems than the sound is even worth. How much is a stock BPV? Or where can i find a used one?

Check the for sale sections on here and nasioc.com. Also Ebay is a god place to look. On nasioc there is a thread section directly related to people doing a total car partout so you can land one there more than likely.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

alright thanks.

and the vaccum leak was my BOV which gives me more of a reason to go back to stock. although i do have it adjusted now and it holds my boost fine.

also i found a write up of how to install a boost gauge, and i thought i subscribed to it but i guess i didnt and i cant find it again.

anyone know where it is?

New subi!

Whats good? I just got my new 02 subi, blue, Aftermarket intercooler, Forge BOV, and many more things to come! but just like this kid i thought i would introduce myself!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubySnacks View Post
    Whats good? I just got my new 02 subi, blue, Aftermarket intercooler, Forge BOV, and many more things to come! but just like this kid i thought i would introduce myself!
    welcome to the club both of you.

thanks for introducing yourself, but you might want to make your own thread in the new member section:

New Member Hangout - ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums

that way this thread can be just for trevor & his intro

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by SubySnacks View Post
    haha, hey.
    hope you love your wrx as much as i do.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor_clay_10 View Post
    alright thanks.

and the vaccum leak was my BOV which gives me more of a reason to go back to stock. although i do have it adjusted now and it holds my boost fine.

also i found a write up of how to install a boost gauge, and i thought i subscribed to it but i guess i didnt and i cant find it again.

anyone know where it is?
    I don't have a link for you, but it's super easy.

Use a T-fitting to tap off the small hose that goes to the BPV. I got a few inches of vaccuum hose and used that instead of cutting the stock hose like some people do. This way I can bring it right back to stock in 30 seconds if need be. If you got an electronic gauge, you'll be running wires from the sender. If you got a mechanical gauge, you'll be running a small hose...you'll need to route it through the firewall and up towards the dash.

There's an empty (un-used) penetration in the firewall with a plug in it right behind the TMIC, sort of to the bottom-left of the brake booster. Pop the plug out, put a small hole in it, feed the wires/hose through that, and it'll drop right into the cabin behind the center stack. Put the plug back in the firewall.

You'll probably want to take off the lower part of the dash. It's 3 or 4 screws, and it pops right off. You may have to remove other parts depending on where you're mounting the gauge.

For lighting and/or electrical power, you can tap into the clock circuit if you're not using anything that will draw too much. One gauge should be fine. Open the cup holder, take out the 2 screws that hold it in and pull it out. After that, grab at the center vent and pull it right out, there's only one clip on it, on the left hand side. From there, you can reach in and push up on the clock. It'll pop right up from the back. The front clips can be VERY hard to break loose. I just left them in place and unplugged the wire harness from the back of the clock with the panel tilted forward a bit.

The wires on the back of the clock are labelled (if you don't pull the thing out all the way just look through the windsheild to see). For lighting, you'll hook one into ground, and decide how you want the other set up. If you want it on when the lights are on, you'll tap it into the one marked "LIG".

Then, route your wires, cable tie things into place so they don't move, mount the gauge, and you're all set.

Be absolutely sure all your connections (especially hose connections for a mechanical gauge) are perfect. You don't want electrical problems, and you don't want to introduce a vacuum leak with your gauge.

-Nick
    Last edited by fiveightandten; 10-12-2009 at 08:27 PM.

hey thanks alot.

the only problem is that my clock doesnt work and i dont currently know why so i dont think hooking up to the power there would be a smart idea. anywhere else i can get to power close to the dash?

Quote Originally Posted by trevor_clay_10 View Post
    hey thanks alot.

the only problem is that my clock doesnt work and i dont currently know why so i dont think hooking up to the power there would be a smart idea. anywhere else i can get to power close to the dash?
    It's possible the clock is broken. The clock is on a 20A circuit along with a few other things, though I can't remember what off the top of my head. If there was no power to the circuit, you'd notice more than just the clock not working.

It's an easy source to tap into, so it's worth testing it with a DMM or test light.

Otherwise, you can tap into the lighting power for the instrument cluster. I haven't had mine out, so I can't say from experience exactly where that would be.

-Nick