just rolled off the lot...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on just rolled off the lot... within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hello everyone. I am new to this website and am the proud new owner of a 2009 WRX premium. I ...

just rolled off the lot...

Hello everyone. I am new to this website and am the proud new owner of a 2009 WRX premium. I have always liked the styling of the WRX and had always wanted to own one. I did a lot of looking around and reading reviews before the big purchase. All the reviews said the changes from 2008 to 2009 were massive and raved about the car. That's when I knew 2009 would be the year I bought my WRX. Getting 0% financing also doesn't hurt. But I have a couple questions and commets on what I have noticed so far, even though it's only been 2 days. Don't read too much into these comments, I am very happy with my purchase and love my new car.

- I purchased the premium package mainly for the sunroof and radio. Let me tell you I am very disappointed in the premium radio. The sound quality is very low. It is advertised as a 10 speaker system but I only count 6 speakers. 1 in each door (front and back) and 1 tweaker in each front door by the side mirrors. That's 6. Where are the other 4? I am happy with the sunroof and like the look of the fog lights. I was also pleasantly surprised about the heated seats and mirrors when I got into my car this cold morning.

- I love the way the car rides and handles. Since I only have about 150 miles on it, I have been taking it easy accelerating, but can tell this car just wants to be driven fast. I hope this will be my daily driver for a long time. I do not play on doing many modifications but am open to suggestions.

- This is not the first turbo car I have owned. Years ago I drove a 88 Ford Turbo Coupe. One thing I miss from that car that I was surprised to see this car does not have is a boost gauge. I know they can be added as after market but I think they look kinda tacky on the steering column. Does any one recommend these? or have a better idea of where they can be mounted?

- I was also surprised with how long the throws are on the stock shifter. I have never owned a car with a short throw shifter. What are the pros and cons to these? It seems the dealer option for one is very reasonable. Is this something I should look into.

- The saleman told me to never turn off the car as soon as I pull in a parking spot. Instead he said to sit in it for 30 seconds to let the turbo cool. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

- The recommended oil change is every 7500 miles. This seems like alot to me. How does everyone else feel about this?

- I passed a 2005 blue WRX this morning on my way to work. The guy looked over at me and gave me the little hand wave. That's when I knew I had bought the right car for me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

- oh and does any one have the all weather floor mats in there WRX? Mine are carpet and are all ready starting to show dirt due to them being dark grey. Does anyone recommend the all weather floor mats? are they very large?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 09 ScoobyDoo View Post
    - The saleman told me to never turn off the car as soon as I pull in a parking spot. Instead he said to sit in it for 30 seconds to let the turbo cool. Does anyone know if this is accurate?
    not accurate. the cooling system from the factory is sufficient enough to where you can turn the car off after driving without having to worry.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Gotta love the Subaru community! I've had many similar experiences as your run in with the 05 since I purchased my car. Most people see the short shifter as a must.

From what I hear the Kartboy one is really good, don't forget to get the bushing!

Here's a picture of the SPT turbo gauge in my car. I like the mounting location a lot, plus it's going to be useful once I get my tactrix cable!

About turning the car off 30 seconds, its not a huge issue, but if you just got back from destroying a back road it is a good idea. Definitely a good idea if you get tuned.

Oil changes are every 3750 miles on Subarus turbo cars. 7500 is for the NA ones. I'm changing mine every 3k personally.

Enjoy the car and check the link in my sig!

Edit: Lets see some pics too!

Hello everyone. I am new to this website and am the proud new owner of a 2009 WRX premium. I have always liked the styling of the WRX and had always wanted to own one. I did a lot of looking around and reading reviews before the big purchase. All the reviews said the changes from 2008 to 2009 were massive and raved about the car. That's when I knew 2009 would be the year I bought my WRX. Getting 0% financing also doesn't hurt. But I have a couple questions and commets on what I have noticed so far, even though it's only been 2 days. Don't read too much into these comments, I am very happy with my purchase and love my new car.

- I purchased the premium package mainly for the sunroof and radio. Let me tell you I am very disappointed in the premium radio. The sound quality is very low. It is advertised as a 10 speaker system but I only count 6 speakers. 1 in each door (front and back) and 1 tweaker in each front door by the side mirrors. That's 6. Where are the other 4? I am happy with the sunroof and like the look of the fog lights. I was also pleasantly surprised about the heated seats and mirrors when I got into my car this cold morning.

- I love the way the car rides and handles. Since I only have about 150 miles on it, I have been taking it easy accelerating, but can tell this car just wants to be driven fast. I hope this will be my daily driver for a long time. I do not play on doing many modifications but am open to suggestions.

- This is not the first turbo car I have owned. Years ago I drove a 88 Ford Turbo Coupe. One thing I miss from that car that I was surprised to see this car does not have is a boost gauge. I know they can be added as after market but I think they look kinda tacky on the steering column. Does any one recommend these? or have a better idea of where they can be mounted?

- I was also surprised with how long the throws are on the stock shifter. I have never owned a car with a short throw shifter. What are the pros and cons to these? It seems the dealer option for one is very reasonable. Is this something I should look into.

- The recommended oil change is every 7500 miles. This seems like alot to me. How does everyone else feel about this?

- I passed a 2005 blue WRX this morning on my way to work. The guy looked over at me and gave me the little hand wave. That's when I knew I had bought the right car for me.
    Welcome!!!

- radio/sound: I don't know about 09 but my 05 sux as far as loudness and quality! But then again I find myself listening to any music only when a passenger requests it, I love the boxer rumble too much

- boost gauge: you could easly add one to your steering wheel by mounting it in an after market steering wheel gauge pod. I personally like how it looks and will install one (the pod) soon.

- oil change: it's an unwritten rule to change it at 1,500 miles for the first time, and then follow Subaru recommendation, their engineers know what they say

- turbo cooldown: not sure about 2009 model, but I believe all models since 2004 have their turbos cooled by coolant and oil so there's no need to cool it down or have a turbo timer in our cars. As long as you drive calm 1 minute before parking it there should be no issues.

- waving: integral part of being a WRX owner!
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

about the waving you mentioned..... alot of people in my area (delaware county, PA) dont wave. anyone else notice this if you're in the area?
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123

- oh and does any one have the all weather floor mats in there WRX? Mine are carpet and are all ready starting to show dirt due to them being dark grey. Does anyone recommend the all weather floor mats? are they very large?
    my brother has had them for about a month in his 2009 wrx "premium" and they're pretty awesome. very crucial if you hike/walk in the snow or just get dirty in general.
    '07 wrx wagon:
    Cobb catback, cobb short ram with intake box, turbosmart small recirc valve, yellow tinted fogs.

little bit older and a little bit more jaded.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

Add me to Facebook

i took my floor mats out bc the dealer i got my rex at gave me all season mats.... they are great. take em out and hose em down once in a while. they protect the carpet quite well and you save the quality of the carpet mats
    2004 PSM WRX Kartboy Short Shifter, SPT Cold Air Intake, TurboXS Turboback Exhaust, Cobb AccessPort Stage II
    Blobeye Syndicate #123
    Dirty Crew #123

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    not accurate. the cooling system from the factory is sufficient enough to where you can turn the car off after driving without having to worry.
    I disagree. Published Subaru documentation says otherwise.

To the OP: The sales guy is right about waiting a little while after driving before shutting the engine off.

Caring for Subaru Turbocharged Engines

In the tip section, "After highway driving or high-load driving, allow the engine to cool by idling for at least 30 seconds before turning off the ignition."

Now i understand that the factory turbocharger systems are coolant/water cooled rather than the traditional oil cooled method so "oil coking" is not a relevant problem - enough so that a turbo timer is not necessary. Its still a good idea to let the car idle for half a minute before shutoff.

-j
    Last edited by lordcon; 10-01-2009 at 01:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

A very good investement. They aren't cheapest if you get them from the dealer but having them pays off. It's been 4 years for me since I got them and my original carpet ones (always in the car) look brand new.

So if you are in a wet climate part of the world, they are a good idea to get. And because of very deep grooves, they hold a lot of moisture and dirt.
    Blobeye Syndicate #1337
    man vs technology blog
    MvT@YouTube

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lordcon View Post

After highway driving or high-load driving, allow the engine to cool by idling for at least 30 seconds before turning off the ignition.

Now i understand that the factory turbocharger systems are coolant/water cooled rather than the traditional oil cooled method so "oil coking" is not a relevant problem - enough so that a turbo timer is not necessary. Its still a good idea to let the car idle for half a minute before shutoff.

-j
    what you quoted is for highway and high load driving. What I was referring to is the fact that when you get home from the grocery store or from a ten minute drive down the road you don't need to sit there and let the car cool down. for the salesman to say "NEVER turn the car off" right after driving is a bit extreme i'd say.
    Last edited by wrxtreme06; 10-01-2009 at 02:15 PM.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

welcome
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

Quote Originally Posted by Guero View Post
    Gotta love the Subaru community! I've had many similar experiences as your run in with the 05 since I purchased my car. Most people see the short shifter as a must.

Edit: Lets see some pics too!
    I figured hand wave was a Subaru thing that everyone knew about. I felt like I was in! Being an ex-motorcyclist I was not too surprised, as they do a similar thing when they pass each other on the road.

Then at lunch today I rolled up on a black WRX wagon (2001? maybe). This may sound dorky but I was really excited! I would be the one to give the wave! So I slowy pulled next to it at a red light...just to notice the driver was a 70 year old woman who could barely see over the steering wheel. She would not even look over at me. But let me tell you, when that light turned green she took off like she was on the drag strip. It was good to see after all these years she could still appreciate the finer things in life.

And I do hope to post some pictures soon. My icon picture is the exact same as my new Rex.

Thanks for all the welcomes and advise. I think I will be getting the all weather mats. And hopefully down the road a short throw shifter and boost gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    what you quoted is for highway and high load driving. What I was referring to is the fact that when you get home from the grocery store or from a ten minute drive down the road you don't need to sit there and let the car cool down. for the salesman to say "NEVER turn the car off" right after driving is a bit extreme i'd say.
    You don't take "spirited" trips to the grocery store?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.