New to WRX, picked up 09
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to WRX, picked up 09 within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey guys, finally decided to join the forum. I've been wanting a WRX/STI since I was 15 over 10 years ...

New to WRX, picked up 09

Hey guys, finally decided to join the forum. I've been wanting a WRX/STI since I was 15 over 10 years ago and finally am making good enough $$. I picked up a new 2009 wrx white (made 07/2009 i checked the door to see if it was one with engine problems so i got lucky) SPT edition. It has the cat back exhaust with some little SPT badges behind the front wheel fenders. All in all im impressed with the car and want to do some mods to it without sacraficing drivability. The STI was tempting but I plan to use the $$ for mods.

A few of my friends have some heavily modified mitsubishi EVO's and they all are pushing me to get a front mount intercooler and a tune. I kind of don't want to void my warranty and wish SPT would put out more aftermarket parts for the 09 WRX. Also to those with the 09 and short shifter is it worth it? I don't find the throws too bad in this car. My previous cars were Honda Del Sol, 2000 Mustang GT (over 400hp all motor), Honda civic SI which i've all done a decent amount of mods to, but I want to do this car right.
    I'm happy to be in the WRX club and look forward to posting on this forum!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wrx1.jpg   wrx2.jpg   wrx3.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome

I am new to, but not new to subies.

COngrats on the new 09. I highly recommend the short throw shifter with the STI bushings. I have the SPT but there are others out there. It makes a big difference as it's no longer mushy feeling and very precise and the throw from 1st to 2nd is all of 3" now.

from what i understand you will not void your warranty unless the mod you do does the damage.

I had an 04 spec-v and i had all types of stuff done to it and never had problems doing warranty work on it. one time it sucked a butterfly valve in to the the cylinders, and they had to take the whole engine apart... all for free. At that time it had JWT cams, headers, intake, exhaust, UD pully.

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    Welcome!!!

I hate to tell you this, but the "SPT version" is just a couple dealer add-ons and stickers. Subaru didn't send it to the dealership that way, the dealership made it that way.

Nevertheless..... nice choice in color, and you absolutely cannot go wrong with SPT parts.

EVO guys are convinced that a FMIC is the way to go because their cars come stock with one.

Their cars also come stock with CRAZY turbo lag.
    Subaru > Mitsubishi.... all day long

As far as your warrantee is concerned, the only way a warrantee claim is going to be denied, is if the modification you made directly influenced the failure.

If you install a downpipe and get tuned....... and then blow your turbo..... then yes, they will deny your warrantee.

If you install a downpipe and get tuned....... and then your air conditioning breaks..... it should be covered.

Truth be told though... it is largely up to the dealership that you bring it to. Search around for mod-friendly dealerships. They are out there.

If you're seriously concerned about warrantee, but want to add performance.... start with the suspension. Springs, swaybars, endlinks, wheels, tires, etc. Your car will do quite well on a track with those mods, even with very few "power" mods. There is also very little suspension components that will adversely be affected by those mods... particularly if you are wise with your choices of parts. Now..... if you do a 3-inch drop..... and then go with rollerskate-looking offset wheels.... don't be suprised if they deny your warrantee for wheel bearings.

Otherwise... just decide how far you want to go... and I'm sure the folks here will steer you in the right direction
    Last edited by ninefourteener; 09-30-2009 at 08:45 AM.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

Damn the white ones are beautiful. I better not start regretting my decision on the DGM one. Btw, if you want to survive in this place, you should probably check my sig. (If you don't join, the previous generation owners will eat you like the dogs they are.) J/K.

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome!

My dealership actually sells pre-non-subaru tuned cars. They send them to DynoComp to be tuned with exhaust and intake and sell it for more. They are decently mod friendly.

DynoComp: YES YOU CAN! BUILD YOUR DYNO-COMP TUNED WRX/STI AT 'POWER SUBARU'
    -AJ | Hawk-Eye Alliance #55 | Stink-Eye Mob #1
    NASIOC - Narcissistic, Arrogant, Self Involved, Oligarchy of Cryptorchidisms

2011 Chevy Camaro SS RS Package & 2011 Honda Pilot
    Used to have: Protune Stage 2 2010 Subaru WRX
    Used to have: Stage 4 2006 Subaru WRX

Add me to Facebook

Welcome, looks great. although its just a decal the SPT still looks legit right there, nice sleek look to the white 09's. enjoy.
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ninefourteener View Post

as far as your warrantee is concerned, the only way a warrantee claim is going to be denied

....... then yes, they will deny your warrantee.

If you're seriously concerned about warrantee,

....don't be suprised if they deny your warrantee for wheel bearings.
    i'm loling at your spelling of warranty. when i read "warrantee" i think of some hardcore country guy with a thing of wheat in his teeth saying "war-UN-TEE!" lol

okay maybe i'm weird

welcome OP! congrats on the new car

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i'm loling at your spelling of warranty. when i read "warrantee" i think of some hardcore country guy with a thing of wheat in his teeth saying "war-UN-TEE!" lolr
    haha i was looking at that too, but i must not be as creative as you cuz i didn't picture that lol...
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    I picked up a new 2009 wrx white (made 07/2009 i checked the door to see if it was one with engine problems so i got lucky)

I also just bought an 09 WRX. How bad are these engine problems you are talking about? When was the problem fixed? Do I need to worry?

just checked my door. it says it was manufactured in 4/09. Was there a recall? If so what month did it change?

Quote Originally Posted by 09 ScoobyDoo View Post
    just checked my door. it says it was manufactured in 4/09. Was there a recall? If so what month did it change?
    You're safe. I'm pretty sure the months in question were August and September of 09. Rod knock was the main issue and engines were just being replaced left and right.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by viper289 View Post
    You're safe. I'm pretty sure the months in question were August and September of 09. Rod knock was the main issue and engines were just being replaced left and right.
    it happened in july too

2009 WRX engine failure VIN/build date owner list - NASIOC
    there is a table of the vin #'s and build dates of vehicles that had problem

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

thanks for the info. I was also able to find some other articles on it through google. It looks like 09 WRX's made in july-sept 2008 are the ones with the problems.

I am glad I do not fall in this category but hope Subaru is doing everything possible to help those people who own bran new cars with engine troubles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast