WRX Wagon - Premium vs Standard

This is a discussion on WRX Wagon - Premium vs Standard within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am looking to step out of my muscle car and into a wrx wagon. I need the AWD and ...

WRX Wagon - Premium vs Standard

I am looking to step out of my muscle car and into a wrx wagon. I need the AWD and the utility of the hatch to help out with my photography.

I am looking to figure out if the extra cost of the premium is worth it. Is the 10 speaker stereo that good? I already have some nice amps that I have not installed that I could use to upgrade the stereo as well as some decent infinity 6.5" speakers and some subs that have never been used. The only other option included in the premium package that I want is the fog lights. I dont care about the sunroof much. Are the fogs difficult to install? Perhaps I could install those along with a sport grill at the same time?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    IMHO the factory premium stereo is "adequate" but not worth all that. My first WRX I went with the premium package and I personally was pretty disappointed. Then when I bought my STi I had no radio option at all and installed my own system which I was MUCH happier with for less money then the factory option. IMHO people that think the factory premium option sounds great, really don't know what a great system sounds like.

There IS something to be said for ease of having it come all in there already and not having to tear apart your brand new interior for install. Additionally, I will say that it is really nice having the in-dash nav system and integrated satellite radio and integrated stereo, blue tooth, etc.

Personally Sunroofs do absolutely nothing for me either. Unfortunately I haven't had any experience with installing fogs on the latest models but I wouldn't think it would be too bad.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I first told myself to get a 2010 non-premium wagon. However, after i figured out it was going to cost me $2k+ in financing, I decided to buy a 2009 premium. I know people will rag me for this...but i like having a sunroof. I have had one in all my cars except the car I bought when i was 15 and I do like it.

I'd agree about the sound system...at best...its an "ok" system. My wagon came w/ the 8inch subwoofer which does help get some volume. However, it's still not that great. The foglights are a nice touch - probably could install your own for a reasonable price tho.

Heated seats...not necessary but the wife likes them so I though I'd try to make her happy too (the few times she rides in it)

The other thing is the heated front window where the wipers are. These have not come into use yet and I have a feeling probably won't (i park in a garage)

Let us know what ya do - good luck!
    2009 WRX 5 door White - "wht out"
    1998 VW Passat 1.8T Black - blown engine
    1988 Porsche 944 Black - sold
    1999 Honda CBR 600 - sold

Quote Originally Posted by canon5dshooter View Post
    I am looking to step out of my muscle car and into a wrx wagon. I need the AWD and the utility of the hatch to help out with my photography.

I am looking to figure out if the extra cost of the premium is worth it. Is the 10 speaker stereo that good? I already have some nice amps that I have not installed that I could use to upgrade the stereo as well as some decent infinity 6.5" speakers and some subs that have never been used. The only other option included in the premium package that I want is the fog lights. I dont care about the sunroof much. Are the fogs difficult to install? Perhaps I could install those along with a sport grill at the same time?
    I did exactly what you're talking about. I got the 09 base w/ the factor fogs installed. I listened to the 'premium' stereo. Yes it's an upgrade over stock, but they both have to be the worst stereos in a car over 25k made today. I saved my $2k, because I'll take $1k (not financed) and put a stereo that's 100X better then the premium.

As far as heated seats, sunroof. Neither are important to me. GL on your car purchase!
    NEW!! 09 WRX 5-door Black Base
    Old - 2006 Geep GC Hemi
    Older - 06 M3 Vert
    Oldest - 04 WRX WRB - cobb stage 2, borla 3" exhaust, erz dp

Thanks for the feedback. I went and drove the premium WRX 5 door again this morning. It was nice but the stereo was nothing to write home about. I don't really need the heated stuff but it would be nice. The sunroof did nothing for me either.

The car was fun to drive in the rain though. :-) I need to put some better seats in the thing if I get it.

as far as im concerned no suby has a good stock system in it thats worth writing home about.
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Put a good exhaust on it and you wont even use your stereo. I listen to mine maybe once or twice a week. I just love the rumble of my car
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    Put a good exhaust on it and you wont even use your stereo. I listen to mine maybe once or twice a week. I just love the rumble of my car
    good call.
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

I would agree with you on the exhaust but when I am driving on the hwy for hours between here and Atlanta I need something to break things up you know. :-)

Thanks for the feedback everyone. There are a few dealers that have some good deals so I should pick one up shortly.

suby doesn't bother with a good sound system they put there thought into producing optimum enjoyment out of each ride. there for, just replace the system. it doesn't cost that much.

Quote Originally Posted by canon5dshooter View Post
    I need to put some better seats in the thing if I get it.
    Really?
    2009 WRX 5 door White - "wht out"
    1998 VW Passat 1.8T Black - blown engine
    1988 Porsche 944 Black - sold
    1999 Honda CBR 600 - sold

I'm picky about my seats and the subby seats just aren't as good as what I am used to. :-)

Thanks for the advise on the stereo everyone. I reckon I will just yank it and replace it.