Tuning
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Tuning within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I am new to tuning. Can someone please explain to me how i get to different stages and where i ...

Tuning

I am new to tuning. Can someone please explain to me how i get to different stages and where i can get my car tuned?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    TurboXS was the 1st to successfully market staged packages, so as a rule of thumb:

Stage 1: Engine Management

Stage 2: Engine Management + Turboback

Stage 3: Engine Management + Turboback + Bigger TMIC

Stage 4: Engine Management + Turboback + Bigger TMIC + Small Turbo Upgrade/Fuel Support Mods

You're gonna want to see if there are any local Subaru specialty shops. If not, remote tuning is another option.

hey man. im from duluth also, u going to UMD? also there are 2 places where you can tune around here, Rogers, MN by the cities and Tintmasters in Fargo, ND. tintmasters sucks though.
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

Hey, I own a 2006 WRX TR. Recently, I purchased a Cobb TBE kit. I'm thinking it would be most wise to hold off on installing it until I purchase an AccessPORT 2.0, yes? I understand that the typical order of stage modification is first to tune, then to install a TBE, and so on, but does the installation of a TBE kit result in the need to retune the ECU even if an aftermarket ECU remapping has already happened? Basically, I'm very interested in learning more about the fuel ignition timing remapping/tuning aspect of vehicle modification - the do's, the don'ts, and everything else I ought know before I go and damage a perfectly nice engine.

I should also add that my 2006 WRX currently has installed a K&N Typhoon Intake kit. A foolish decision on my part? I honestly do not know. What I guess I would like to know most is whether the presence of this intake kit will be cause for a tuning issue when it comes time to install a Stage 2 map. Will it or do I have nothing to worry about? On that note, does such an intake kit as this even produce power gains without tuning, a TBE kit, and/or other modifications? I know full well that it's functioning, as the sound of it operation is quite evidently louder than the stock box assembly, but is it really a worthwhile investment without other modification supplementation? = me?

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Smljhndnsmr View Post
    does the installation of a TBE kit result in the need to retune the ECU even if an aftermarket ECU remapping has already happened?
    Yes, however once you have your mods established or have it a holding point where you will mod later you really should get a custom tune instead of using the crappy OTS maps. You won't regret it.

I should also add that my 2006 WRX currently has installed a K&N Typhoon Intake kit. A foolish decision on my part? I honestly do not know.
    How was this a bad decision exactly? You will make more power than you would without it.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Yes, however once you have your mods established or have it a holding point where you will mod later you really should get a custom tune instead of using the crappy OTS maps. You won't regret it.

How was this a bad decision exactly? You will make more power than you would without it.
    What I was getting at, I guess, is the risk of damage to the turbo and/or other significant parts. Without tuning, does a performance cold air intake kit carry the potential for causing dangerous changes in pressure in the same way that a wider-than-stock TBE kit apparently does?

Also, the other item of interest I was trying to figure out was the straight-out-of-the-box power benefits of hardware upgrades. For example, the intake kit I purchased is listed by the manufacturer as adding 15.85 HP @ 5050 RPM. Are estimates, such as this one, stand-alone estimates of the individual parts (barring the presence of any other aftermarket modifications) or are such power increases depended upon other simultaneous upgrades and/or fuel ignition remappings?

Also, the other item of interest I was trying to figure out was the straight-out-of-the-box power benefits of hardware upgrades. For example, the intake kit I purchased is listed by the manufacturer as adding 15.85 HP @ 5050 RPM. Are estimates, such as this one, stand-alone estimates of the individual parts (barring the presence of any other aftermarket modifications) or are such power increases depended upon other simultaneous upgrades and/or fuel ignition remappings?
    as far as the 15.85 hp, thats just how it averaged on their test vehicles, every car takes to each part differently. If you had a friend with the same make/model/year and put on the exact same part it would be similar but not the same. so it is not guaranteed to be exactly 15.85, and i personally doubt an intake adds almost 16 hp.

Additionally, I am from Hawley which is a little ways from fargo, if you want your questions answered in person you can always go to tintmasters. they specialize in wrx/sti's and can tell you pretty much anything you need to know. although i hate going there cuz they are stuck up about as cliquey as a group of 8th grade girls, but whatever.
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    What I was getting at, I guess, is the risk of damage to the turbo and/or other significant parts. Without tuning, does a performance cold air intake kit carry the potential for causing dangerous changes in pressure in the same way that a wider-than-stock TBE kit apparently does?
    It depends on the intake design. The one you bought happens to be a good one and requires no additional tuning for the car to run properly (though it will still help).

15 hp is a little high. An intake will add some power to any stage 2 and up car, how much so depends how much your setup is restricted by the stock intake.

another question: if, say, a 2006 WRX were upgraded to Stage 2 and has a performance intake, how safe (or unsafe) would it be to operate the vehicle w/o the installation of an after-market uppipe that has further been outfitted with an installed EWG?

I Support ClubWRX
    another question: if, say, a 2006 WRX were upgraded to Stage 2 and has a performance intake, how safe (or unsafe) would it be to operate the vehicle w/o the installation of an after-market uppipe that has further been outfitted with an installed EWG?
    2.5L vehicles come with an uppipe that is catless from the factory. The "required upgrade" is for the 2.0L vehicles, which came with a catalytic converter in the uppipe.

If I'm reading your question right, you're fine.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

When upgrading from standard spark plugs to iridium spark plugs, should I be concerned with fuel ignition mapping? Would it be necessary to find a new map or would the current map (whatever map happens to be loaded at the time of the spark plug swap) be safe to operate with?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.