New to the WRX. What to know? (2004 WRX) - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on New to the WRX. What to know? (2004 WRX) within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; i also have a 2004 WRX and I love it, it's a wagon welcome to the club...

i also have a 2004 WRX and I love it,
    it's a wagon

welcome to the club
    Stage Eleventy

"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Think about getting an up pipe, downpipe and a protune. It's enough that it'll give you one hell of a kick in your pants, but it's not going to ruin reliability
    +1

Or buy the accessport and a dp to flash to stage 2 even though it runs pig rich, it'll have the same effect.
    05 STI....someday
    04 WRX cobb stage 2-sold
    00 Civic Si-sold
    95 240SX-sold
    02 F-350 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by twitchit View Post
    +1

Or buy the accessport and a dp to flash to stage 2 even though it runs pig rich, it'll have the same effect.
    I personally believe that for the average person, a up pipe (02-05's) downpipe and a protune is the best bang for the buck. The protune costs 1/2 of what the accessport costs, and if this guy has no major goals, it's by far the best, safest, most powerful, and smartest route to go.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I hate to sounds like a complete newbie, but...I am one.

What is an up pipe and downpipe? (I'm not dumb, so a basic explanation should suffice). I would throw a guess that the protune is remapping the ECU to fit with the up pipe and downpipe.

It's true. I don't have any major goals for the WRX. I just want it to be fast and fun, and enough to smoke most cars out of a traffic light, in case I'm sitting next to some guy in a Z4 who thinks he's all that. Also I want enough power that I can potentially make good use of the stealth package I'll be installing. I have access to radar and laser jamming, as well as integrated detection, at cost, not retail prices. I'm 'skiddish' when it comes to challenging the speed limit, so I want the stealth package. Then I want a WRX that can make good use of it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kempobmx1 View Post
    What is an up pipe and downpipe?
    See here:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/2519949-post5.html

I would throw a guess that the protune is remapping the ECU to fit with the up pipe and downpipe.
    Basically. Think timing, fueling, and boost vs. rpm and load etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

So then I assume an upgraded up and down pipe replaces the stock ones with pipes of a larger diameter for decreased back pressure. Correct?

Is a protune synonymous with remapping an ECU to get optimal engine efficiency?

I want to just trow in as a fellow 04 owner be carefull with the transmission it should be fine if you dont beat on it but really try not to launch on it. My trany is going to half to be rebuilt soon do to me driving like a teenager

I guess my sort of being a teenager doesn't help matters much. I'll be sure to make launches few and far between. That's what I've been gathering about the 04 WRX. The tranny doesn't seem to like abuse. I do plan to make double clutching a regular habit, so that will help to offset the bit of wear from occasional launches and power shifts.

*Sigh* Yet another newbie question. This one is more of a manual transmission question, but it will pertain to the long term reliability of the sycros and gears. I understand how to double clutch. What I want to know is why you can't just push in the clutch, move the shifter to N, blip the throttle, then put the shifter in the desired gear, than let off the clutch. Why do you need to clutch twice. Why can't you just rev match while the clutch is in the first time?
    Last edited by kempobmx1; 09-23-2009 at 11:42 PM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_clutch

I guess my sort of being a teenager doesn't help matters much. I'll be sure to make launches few and far between. That's what I've been gathering about the 04 WRX. The tranny doesn't seem to like abuse. I do plan to make double clutching a regular habit, so that will help to offset the bit of wear from occasional launches and power shifts.

*Sigh* Yet another newbie question. This one is more of a manual transmission question, but it will pertain to the long term reliability of the sycros and gears. I understand how to double clutch. What I want to know is why you can't just push in the clutch, move the shifter to N, blip the throttle, then put the shifter in the desired gear, than let off the clutch. Why do you need to clutch twice. Why can't you just rev match while the clutch is in the first time?
    IMO - Double clutching is not needed with any modern transmission. IF you are able to double clutch correctly - you will not cause any damage. I've seen many people mess up their timing while double clutching. It's still a good thing to learn, if for no other reason than knowing it.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Well I absolutely will be learning to do it well. I'm not bad at it now, as I drive many cars at my job and I practice double clutching and downshift rev matching when they're manual. What I want to know is what the advantage is. Obviously heel-toe braking/rev matching is important going into a turn that you want to power out of. Past that, what's the value to double clutching.

I drove a Mini Cooper S today and noticed something. If I clutched in, down shifted, blipped the throttle to rev match, then clutched out the shift didn't seem to be as smooth as if I actually double clutched and rev matched that way. Is there a reason for that?

I Support ClubWRX
    Probably because it takes longer I suppose. I agree with Micah - there is no need to double clutch with a modern gearbox, as they have syncros.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well I absolutely will be learning to do it well. I'm not bad at it now, as I drive many cars at my job and I practice double clutching and downshift rev matching when they're manual. What I want to know is what the advantage is. Obviously heel-toe braking/rev matching is important going into a turn that you want to power out of. Past that, what's the value to double clutching.

I drove a Mini Cooper S today and noticed something. If I clutched in, down shifted, blipped the throttle to rev match, then clutched out the shift didn't seem to be as smooth as if I actually double clutched and rev matched that way. Is there a reason for that?

Because you're doing the work for the synchros.

When you say double clutching, you are referring to the following correct?

From in gear, clutch in, take it out of gear (neutral), clutch out, match revs, clutch in, put it in gear, clutch out.

Since you're still asking about the advantage, I guess you didn't read the wiki. Here's a short cut and paste:
    The purpose of the double-clutch technique is to aid in matching the rotational speed of the input shaft being driven by the engine to the rotational speed of the gear you wish to select (directly connected to rotating wheels). When the speeds are matched, the gear will engage smoothly and no clutch is required. If the speeds are not matched, the dog teeth on the collar will "crash" or grate as they attempt to fit into the holes on the desired gear. A modern synchromesh gearbox accomplishes this synchronization more efficiently. However, when the engine speed is significantly different than the transmission speed, the desired gear is often unengageable even in a fully synchronized gearbox. An example is trying to shift into a gear while traveling outside the gear's speed or directional range, such as reverse while moving forward.
    Double clutching, although time consuming, eases gear selection when an extended delay or variance exists between engine and transmission speeds. When shifting up on a non-synchroniser equipped vehicle, the clutch pedal is pressed, the throttle is released, and the gearbox is shifted into neutral. The clutch pedal is then released. As the engine idles with no load, the RPM will decrease until they are at a level suitable for shifting into the next gear. The driver then depresses the clutch again and shifts into the next gear. The whole manoeuvre can, with practice, take no more than a fraction of a second, and the result is a very smooth gear change.
    Last edited by Micah; 09-24-2009 at 12:08 PM.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Right I pretty much understand why double clutching helps. What I want to know is why you can't just go *clutch in, neutral, match revs, clutch out* Why do you have to let off the clutch for the rev match in neutral?

and how do you know when they match? Guess?
    Stage Eleventy

"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame."

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyWreXX View Post
    and how do you know when they match? Guess?
    Empirically. It's a matter of familiarity. The gearbox will give feedback as will the chassis but ultimately you have to make the decision on the fly.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.