noob tired of going slow...few question before i buy.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on noob tired of going slow...few question before i buy. within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey! new to the scene and i have a few questions. well i recently sold my modded 97 GTP and ...

noob tired of going slow...few question before i buy.

Hey!

new to the scene and i have a few questions. well i recently sold my modded 97 GTP and i am missing the speed. (i am currently driving a 02 monte carlo )

I was originally looking at buying a Subaru WRX STI or a Mitsu Lancer EVO. (A buddy of mine then told me to look into buying a Mazda Speed 6 or a Subaru Legacy GT.)

A few question before i buy though:

Is there a reason to buy the LGT over a WRX/STI?

IIRC i read that the LGT and the WRX/STI have the same motor except the LGT has a slightly smaller turbo, is this correct?

What is the factory turbo on a WRX/STI & LGT? what is it capable of?

about how much money does it take to get into the 12's on a 14 mile?

about how much money would be needed to break the 300-350 awhp mark?

How much power is the motor/trans capable of before failure (daily driver)?

What are the biggest drawbacks, negatives of the WRX/STI & LGT (anything)?

**sorry for all of the questions but i am trying to read and and do my homework before i actually buy one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

which years are u interested in?

Quote Originally Posted by silverautorex View Post
    which years are u interested in?
    i am hoping to stay at the $15,000 mark. (the most i am willing to spend is $20,000) so what ever that will get met...probably on 05ish???

I just bought an 04 WRX (not STI) 55,000 miles for $12,000. I was looking around at some STIs and those are going to set you back near to 17,000 - 20,000 depending on the year and mileage.

If you are willing to take a salvage title I'm sure you'll get with in your 15,000 but you'll be getting some a really beat on car.

I also steared away from the used STIs b/c locally all of the ones I found in my price range were heavily modded. Agian, that is preference, sounds like you wouldn't mind it completely modded.

Quote Originally Posted by nfantbabyjesus View Post
    Hey!

new to the scene and i have a few questions. well i recently sold my modded 97 GTP and i am missing the speed. (i am currently driving a 02 monte carlo )

I was originally looking at buying a Subaru WRX STI or a Mitsu Lancer EVO. (A buddy of mine then told me to look into buying a Mazda Speed 6 or a Subaru Legacy GT.)

A few question before i buy though:

Is there a reason to buy the LGT over a WRX/STI?

IIRC i read that the LGT and the WRX/STI have the same motor except the LGT has a slightly smaller turbo, is this correct?

What is the factory turbo on a WRX/STI & LGT? what is it capable of?

about how much money does it take to get into the 12's on a 14 mile?

about how much money would be needed to break the 300-350 awhp mark?

How much power is the motor/trans capable of before failure (daily driver)?

What are the biggest drawbacks, negatives of the WRX/STI & LGT (anything)?

**sorry for all of the questions but i am trying to read and and do my homework before i actually buy one.
    The Evo and STI are great cars, but both are not as comfortable as a LGT for a DD. But, if you want a 12 sec car and want a Subaru, you'll want an STI. You can do this with a Legacy, but you are behind the curve...

The main advantage of the Legacy is comfort.

A WRX or STI motor can reliably go to 350whp for around $5k in cost. A 300+whp Impreza can do sub-13sec 1/4 miles...
    Last edited by Pavia; 09-19-2009 at 04:55 PM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by DorBink View Post
    I just bought an 04 WRX (not STI) 55,000 miles for $12,000. I was looking around at some STIs and those are going to set you back near to 17,000 - 20,000 depending on the year and mileage.

If you are willing to take a salvage title I'm sure you'll get with in your 15,000 but you'll be getting some a really beat on car.

I also steared away from the used STIs b/c locally all of the ones I found in my price range were heavily modded. Agian, that is preference, sounds like you wouldn't mind it completely modded.

i don't really want a modded on (i like to do all of the modding myself so i know what exactly was done and when) but i am not opposed to buying a modded one if the price is right.

The Evo and STI are great cars, but both are not as comfortable as a LGT for a DD. But, if you want a 12 sec car and want a Subaru, you'll want an STI. You can do this with a Legacy, but you are behind the curve...

The main advantage of the Legacy is comfort.

A WRX or STI motor can reliably go to 350whp for around $5k in cost. A 300+whp Impreza can do sub-13sec 1/4 miles...
    so with 350 i should be pushing low 13's to high 12's? can the motors handle any spray? (best "mod" i ever bought for my Grandprix)

and is the $5k estimate for new parts or used? i hate buying new parts when i can get used for a significant amount cheaper.

*thanks for the quick responses*

No spray, God no. You have a turbo, my good man. An STI turbo with the right mods will get a high 12 sec time with around 105mph trap. $5k includes new parts, install, and a protune. Best to strat with an STI for this.

If you want an 11sec Subie, then we need a new discussion and budget
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Really btw, if your interested in a quick straight line car, don't buy a Subaru or an Evo. You can buy a nice used LS1 GM body and get 11sec or better for a lot less than making a Subie quick in the 1/4 mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Really btw, if your interested in a quick straight line car, don't buy a Subaru or an Evo. You can buy a nice used LS1 GM body and get 11sec or better for a lot less than making a Subie quick in the 1/4 mile.
    DEF. i am not only in it for the straight line speed. (thats all ive been into in the past building my grandprix to a 12.45 at 114.8) i am wanting an AWD, 4 dr., and the handling so i can try out some autox at some point.

i usually do all installs myself so i would save some money there. on the GP i also did all of the tuning...im sure there is some short of software for tuning that you can buy and tune yourself??? am i correct?

as for my budget, i want to buy as cheap as possible so i have money to spend on mods and repairs (when you mod you break ****...)

why do you suggest to stay away from spray? are the stock internals weak?

I have one more tip you'll really love. I dropped less than $2k in my suspension, brakes, and tires and I can walk a Vette all day long on the twisties. That is priceless. Better than the acceleration ..

Some one else can explain why no one uses NOS on turbo...

First off, kudos on your GP. If you read my sig, you'll see I also have a GTO, so I know about Poncho power.

I think a nice WRX or STI will definitely make you happy. One thing you need to know is they are very easy cars for the garage mechanic to work on or maintain...

I have one more tip you'll really love. I dropped less than $2k in my suspension, brakes, and tires and I can walk a Vette all day long on the twisties. That is priceless. Better than the acceleration ..
    I never thought a stock 20K$ car could fly through corners and still feel stable like WRX does, its amazing. I go through corners 15-20mph faster than my quattro A4 could, and even when the tires start to break loose a little it feels safe and I have only had traction control come on 1 time lol
    -Stink-Eye Mob #13 -

2008 WRBlue WRX (sold)
    2013 ISM WRX 5dr

Quote Originally Posted by EnzoG View Post
    I never thought a stock 20K$ car could fly through corners and still feel stable like WRX does, its amazing. I go through corners 15-20mph faster than my quattro A4 could, and even when the tires start to break loose a little it feels safe and I have only had traction control come on 1 time lol
    Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by EnzoG View Post
    Drive a Miata ^_^

(sorry I had to)

One thing you need to know is they are very easy cars for the garage mechanic to work on or maintain...
    True! Very true! Except for the spark plugs LOL... Because of the Boxer engine they are down on the sides. When I was buying my car we did a compression test and it took us about an hour to get at it. (moved the air intake and the windshield wash reseviour).

If you haven't seen the engine bay for a WRX yet go take a look you'll probably pretty happy with the lay out.

Lazzer, nice one on the Miata... lol

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.