New bugeye owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New bugeye owner within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hi guys, So I just finally got my new suby! It's really a beauty; 2003 silver WRX sedan with 26,000 ...

New bugeye owner

Hi guys,

So I just finally got my new suby!

It's really a beauty; 2003 silver WRX sedan with 26,000 miles, I just love it so far.

The previous owner put a nice canister style catback exhaust, AVS rims with 235/40/17 fuzion tires, and I believe some sort of black side skirts which look great!

I previously drove a 350z so I was expecting to be disappointed in the handling department but so far it seems the thing handles better than anything I've ever driven. Maybe the nice set of wheels and wider tires really play a huge role?

I have a question: the dealer who I bought the car from told me they had just put a new clutch on it, and even gave me a warranty on the clutch, but the clutch seems to be slipping when I press the gas down more than like 2/3 of the way, mostly this happens in 3rd and 4th gears around 4000-5500 rpm . The rpm's suddenly shoot up from like 4000 to 5000 and then drop back down to 4500 or so without the appropriate increase in speed. Does this mean the dealer did not put a new clutch in it or is the new clutch defective? Or maybe it just needs to be adjusted? Any suggestions would be nice, thanks.

I don't have any pics yet but they are coming up this weekend,
    so stay tuned...

Proud to be a new WRX owner and looking forward to meeting some new people on these forums in the future!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    wow nice find especially with that low mileage! welcome to the club

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Corn in Brian's Crap

Welcome and congrats on the purchase! 03 with 26k?? Wow ...
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome to the Subaru family.

As for your clutch, that's not normal. I'd take it back and have them look at it. If it's warrantied, they have to at least look at it. And don't let them tell you it's normal, because it's not. They may have replaced the friction disk and left the rest alone, knowing dealerships, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Awesome! Silver 03 Bugeyes FTW!

And holy crap, 26,000? I didn't know little old church ladies bought WRXs. I thought I was doing well with my 46,000 mile 03.

As for the clutch problems, that doesn't sound right, but I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. I would like to know if your car smells of burnt something-or-other (burnt rubber, burnt popcorn, burnt chemically smell, etc.) whenever you park it, especially around the passenger side of the engine compartment. Mine's done that ever since I bought it, and I suspect either I'm burning the clutch or the clutch is about to go for other reasons. I'd be interested to know if you have something similar going on along with your more obvious clutch issues.
    Last edited by UncleMidriff; 09-16-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: clarification

Thanks for the warm welcome guys...

To answer your question; no there is no smell of burnt clutch at any time (and trust me I know what burnt clutch smells like). I would say the clutch engages very well - it does feel like a new clutch - however it's slipping under heavy acceleration, it's weird...

Yeah 26,000 miles, I couldn't believe it myself when I saw it. However I am pretty sure it's not an old church lady, I doubt she would have put the exhaust and nice-looking set of wheels on it...
    The back license plate frame says "pebble beach golf links" so maybe it was owned by an old golfer who still had that 20 year old urge for speed, hehehe...

That sounds like a boooomb find, haha, congratulations. How far do you have to let the pedal up before the clutch engages? When I got mine the clutch was about to go as well and it wouldn't engage until the pedal was almost all the way up. Then after 2 weeks of me beating on it (figured I had to replace it anyhow) it started doing the same thing as yours, where the rpms shoot up before catching at a lower power level.
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbug View Post
    To answer your question; no there is no smell of burnt clutch at any time (and trust me I know what burnt clutch smells like). I would say the clutch engages very well - it does feel like a new clutch - however it's slipping under heavy acceleration, it's weird...
    I didn't mean to call in to question your knowledge of burnt-clutch smell. I was mainly hoping that you had a similar smell so I could know whether or not my issue was caused by the clutch acting up or by something else. Well, I wasn't hoping your car smelled bad... that sounds like I'm a jerk or something... you know what I mean.

Yeah 26,000 miles, I couldn't believe it myself when I saw it. However I am pretty sure it's not an old church lady, I doubt she would have put the exhaust and nice-looking set of wheels on it...
    The back license plate frame says "pebble beach golf links" so maybe it was owned by an old golfer who still had that 20 year old urge for speed, hehehe...
    Well, regardless of the reason, congratulations on a great find.

Quote Originally Posted by CmrnDrgn View Post
    How far do you have to let the pedal up before the clutch engages?
    The clutch engages at about 2/3 of the way up.

Yeeeh, it's hard to tell without actually driving it, but it sounds like it's acting just how mine did. I would take it back to the dealer as soon as possible and politely make them look at it...as said before. There is always the chance of the dealer being asshats, in that case I would take it to a subaru dealer to have it looked at. If it comes to replacing it, I would trust them to do it anyhow.
    Blobeye Syndicate #888

Hammerdown Mod of Thunder josnroh's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats on scoring the low mile bugeye.The black sideskirts are possibly the stock unpainted ones.
    Joe/Flyin' Under The Radar
    The Legendary Hammerdown Wagon(sold)
    Bugeye Mafia #337
    2015 Buckeye Boxer WRX Lightning Red[

gratz on the find and welcome to the bugeye family, i bought my 02 almost 3 years ago and love it. def get that clutch looked at. and enjoy the car.

pic too
    2006 Aspen White WRX STI (320whp/390wtq - Molested by Drunkmann Tuning)

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The clutch engages at about 2/3 of the way up.
    That's a bit high. Might need an adjustment or a slave cylinder bleed. If the clutch isn't fully engaging it could easily cause the issue you're experiencing.

Okay so an update on the slipping clutch situation: it's quite a story so I apologize for the length...

I took the wrx back to the dealer and he sent me to his mechanic: (it's a very shady looking 76 service station) to get it checked out, says that everything is under warranty and that I have nothing to worry about.

So I get there and this stinky guy gets in the car and does a test drive to determine what the problem is. He pushes the car as hard as it can go, in every gear, and the clutch doesn't slip even once! I get behind the wheel myself and attempt to get the clutch to slip and nothing.

So at that point I had no choice but to leave and hope that the slipping never comes back again. I get on the freeway, put it into 5th gear at 80mph, press on the gas, turbos kick in, clutch slips, rpms shoot up from 3500-5500 in no time, and I take the first exit off the freeway and come back to the service station.

I open the door with a big smile on my face and tell them that its slipping. So the second guy gets in the car and I take him on the freeway and do exactly what I did last time and thank god, this time it slips! So he says maybe the pedal just needs an adjustment. He adjusts it, I take it on the freeway, clutch slips, I come back.

This time the guy who adjusted the pedal isn't so friendly and basically says something along the lines of "well my friend there might be something that needs to be adjusted in the clutch assembly, so yeah, basically I don't really know... nothing I can do now". I explain to him that I was told the clutch is under warranty and expect them to fix it and he goes to consult with the other guy. After listening to them "consult" each other for about 10 minutes, we agree I'll drop the car off the next morning. He says he has no idea what could be causing the slippage since they apparently resurfaced the flywheel and put a new clutch kit in. But they would take everything apart anyway and find out.

So after I drop the car off, later that day the guy calls me back and tells me that they looked at the flywheel and noticed that it was not resurfaced properly, and that he would send it to get resurfaced again. I ask him if the clutch looks fine and he says that it does.

The next day I expect to get the car by 1:00pm but when I call they tell me that they looked at the clutch and decided that it wasn't wearing properly, so they had to order a new clutch kit. When I go to pick the car up at 5pm, they are still working on the car and the guy tells me that apparently the new clutch wouldn't fit inside the pressure plate that they had put in the last time. He also shows me the old clutch and it had some very weird and scary looking wear marks.

Then he spits out the truth: the clutch they had put in originally was some sort of stage 2 clutch from some guys parted out STI. God damn crooks! No wonder the damn thing was slipping.

He says that this time they actually put in a new pressure plate and clutch from a factory kit. After waiting for 2 hours the car is ready and I go home. Finally... What a nightmare but at least they seem to have fixed the problem and covered it under warranty.

As a side note: I went to a Suabru dealership a few days ago to ask them what they think might be causing the clutch to slip. The guy there began explaining that it is most likely caused by a resurfaced flywheel. I asked him how much they would charge to change a clutch if I had came to do it there, and he quoted me $1600. I was skeptical of this information so I went to a very reputable Subaru mechanic in the area and asked them what they think, and they said that they always resurface the flywheels and that they have almost never had to put a new one in. They quoted me $800 parts and labor. That just seems to really highlight how dealerships seem to exist for one sole purpose: to rip us off.

Still no pics yet... Hopefully will have some by this weekend.

welcome to the forum - links in sig for you
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast