Questions on 02 WRX

This is a discussion on Questions on 02 WRX within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I'm currently getting/deciding on a 02 WRX. I'm getting a very good deal on it, but it just recently had ...

Questions on 02 WRX

I'm currently getting/deciding on a 02 WRX. I'm getting a very good deal on it, but it just recently had a transmission put in it because the shift fork broke on 2nd gear on the old trans. What worries me is that the car only has 35k miles. It just had I new transmission put in, I drove the car both before and after the new tranny.

I've read, what I would say alot of problems with the 5spd in these cars. Is there anyway to prevent, help, or extend the life of the transmission? Or is a 6spd sway out of a newer Sti a direct fit and something I can do fairly easy.

Secondly, the car has cold air intake, unorthodox racing pulley set, skunk 2 exhaust, & a turbo xs blow off. I'm used to messing with my 91 300zx TT and its stock internals can hold 700+hp. What are the limits of this car? I would like to know if a larger turbo w/larger injectors can be safely ran on stock internals & what boost limits the car can be ran safely on also.

Thank you very much & I hope to be talking to many of you soon. ~Trent

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That was car was beat to hell! 35K miles and already a new tranny? The bugeyes were notoriously known to have weak tranny's but damn! If there is a new tranny in it then you should be in teh clear on that issue. Just don't drive it like an a$$hat!

Get rid of that blowoff valve and put the stock bypass valve back on.

Alot of members do a VF series turbo swap on their cars. You can lay down some pretty decent power safely. Important thing is to get a tune. With the 5-spd especially the bugeyes... more than likely your tranny will go before your engine. A 6-spd will run you upwards of $7k for parts and install.

Do some seraching on the forum as you will find a lot of info pertaining to the questions you are asking.

Welcome aboard!
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

I broke the rule and didnt buy mine stock but the majority of people dont buy one if it has mods... i would definetly either look it over your self or have somone look over it because if the tranny is shot... its a good bet that the motor isnt in pristine conditiion. i agree with sleeper. that car has been run to death if it really only has 35000. that or a person who has never driven stick decided to learn in it.
    bugeye mafia #232
    World Rally Blue 2002 WRX Stage 2 290 awhp
    my mods

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    One thing about cars in general, and a good rule to follow, is that you never want to buy someone elses toy, unless you know everything about it and are expecting problems.

Everything you mentioned in the mods list are unnecessary mods that are meerely flash. It sounds to me like the previous owner just wanted a toy to dink around with, and more likely than not stripped second gear, which is much more common, not broke the shift fork which would take a great amount of ****upery. If it were me, I'd say stay away.

An STi tranny will allow you to put more power to the wheels, and a number of other pluses as well, but you'd best look into a rear diff swap as well. Power limits are always best guess, 350 AWHP seems about the peak on the stock internals before you start blowing things, and even then it greatly decreases life. A built motor will handle MUCH more and more reliably, but then there's the money issue and it becomes a project.

At any rate, I'd suggest looking into a different WRX.