2 questions
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2 questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey there, my name is Jesse and I just purchased an 02 WRX wagon. It's completely stock except for a ...

2 questions

Hey there, my name is Jesse and I just purchased an 02 WRX wagon. It's completely stock except for a K&N filter and iridium plugs I just put in.

1) I live in Salt Lake City at 4300 feet. The most boost I've been able to achieve is .075 MPa or 10.9 psi. I know part of this could be due to elevation but it still seems low to me. I would think 13psi would be more reasonable. So I'm wondering if I should get an MBC and up it to 14 psi or look for issues with the turbo/vacuum leaks, etc?

2) Any typical problem spots for oil leaks on these cars? I noticed I'm down about a quart after 2500 miles. It's probably not a big deal as it's a slow leak but still wondering what it might be.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think you in the normal range. I have an 07 wrx with the cobb stg 1, and the most boost Ive been able to achieve is around 12 psi. Before the cobb stg 1, I was around 10-11 psi. I believe with the higher elevation and less oxygen, our cars wont perform as well if we were closer to sea level. But checking never does any harm. But I would not up the boost without some form of engine management and maybe even a larger diameter exhaust, it could put excessive wear on the turbo and motor. I could be wrong, Im new to the suby world but have been doing a lot of reading in the past 2 months since Ive had mine. Good luck
    Last edited by salty07wrx; 09-12-2009 at 03:37 PM.

With whatever boost control you decide to go with, you will always need a tune for it. You honestly don't really need one unless you're experience boost spikes.

With that being said, your boost is pretty normal and you can put the $40 bucks toward something else.

In regards to oil, you might want to get that checked. I've never experienced any oil problems. What does your dipstick till you? Are you within the normal operating range? Are you losing oil every time you drive? What's the history behind the wagon?

Dont get a manual boost controller. Being that you have an 02 you can shorten the wastegate actuator arm to alow for more boost. Just take the heat shield off (easier to get access) pull the little C clip off the arm and shorten it about 1/2 to 1 full turn. should increase your boost by about 1.5psi.

I was at stage 1 and only boosting to 9.6psi. Performed action above (turned 1-1/2 or 2 times, can't remember) and was then reaching 14psi.

Go to this link for more info. Adjusting the wastegate arm
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.