First Newb Question - Low Flow & Cat issue
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on First Newb Question - Low Flow & Cat issue within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; HI, Bought my first WRX about 3 weeks ago and I can't wait to drive it every morning. Too bad ...

Smile First Newb Question - Low Flow & Cat issue

HI,
    Bought my first WRX about 3 weeks ago and I can't wait to drive it every morning. Too bad I travel (fly away..) so much and hence why I haven't posted yet.

I took my time to find a car that wasn't Modded... next to impossible, so then the next best was with little modificaiton. The previous guy had only replaced some of the exhaust, the downpipe and back to the muffler. He still had 2 peices of the old exhaust in his garage, the muffler and I think the rear exhaust pipe. And put some nice Voxx rims on.

Now my question:
    The engine light is on in the car. The guys swore it was caused by the cat as part of the new exhaust, low air flow cat error. I also had an independent inspection done and they confirmed that is why the engine light was on.

Anyways, thoughts on how this should have been done properly? Do I need to get an OEM Cat put back on there? Are there other cheaper alternatives? (obviously I need it to pass state inspection.) I'm looking at the old parts he gave me, and I'm 90% sure I the rear pipe not the midpipe.

Anyways, my lovely new car is an 04 Black Sedan. I live in Texas so any thoughts on what is legal/illegal for exhaust is helpful too.

If anyone has any suggestions thanks!! (I've been digging through some of the old posts but haven't found the answer yet, if there is already a thread just post the link please)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DorBink View Post
    HI,
    Bought my first WRX about 3 weeks ago and I can't wait to drive it every morning. Too bad I travel (fly away..) so much and hence why I haven't posted yet.

I took my time to find a car that wasn't Modded... next to impossible, so then the next best was with little modificaiton. The previous guy had only replaced some of the exhaust, the downpipe and back to the muffler. He still had 2 peices of the old exhaust in his garage, the muffler and I think the rear exhaust pipe. And put some nice Voxx rims on.

Now my question:
    The engine light is on in the car. The guys swore it was caused by the cat as part of the new exhaust, low air flow cat error. I also had an independent inspection done and they confirmed that is why the engine light was on.

Anyways, thoughts on how this should have been done properly? Do I need to get an OEM Cat put back on there? Are there other cheaper alternatives? (obviously I need it to pass state inspection.) I'm looking at the old parts he gave me, and I'm 90% sure I the rear pipe not the midpipe.

Anyways, my lovely new car is an 04 Black Sedan. I live in Texas so any thoughts on what is legal/illegal for exhaust is helpful too.

If anyone has any suggestions thanks!! (I've been digging through some of the old posts but haven't found the answer yet, if there is already a thread just post the link please)
    thats a good question with a lot of variables, try posting in that in the engine mod area.

here --> Engine Modifications - ClubWRX Forum - Subaru Impreza WRX and STi Community and Forums

good luck.
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

If there is an aftermarket downpipe on the car then more than likely that particular code will be thrown do to the removal of one or both cats. It's not a big issue. Get yourself a tune and the code can be taken care of that point (i.e. deleted)

How many cats are still on the car? There should be 2 post turbo and 1 in the uppipe (pre turbo) which totals 3. the one in the uppipe can and should be removed if you plan on doing any modding.

Now if both cats (post turbo) have been removed then it is known at catless which is far from legal and you can and will get busted for that when you get inspected.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ05 View Post

How many cats are still on the car? There should be 2 post turbo and 1 in the uppipe (pre turbo) which totals 3. the one in the uppipe can and should be removed if you plan on doing any modding.

Now if both cats (post turbo) have been removed then it is known at catless which is far from legal and you can and will get busted for that when you get inspected.
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to get under the car again to confirm the number of Cats. Is 1 Cat post turbo legal in the state of Texas?

I'm not planning on doing any other Mods and the guy didn't change the uppipe out so I'm confident the issue is not there.

Quote Originally Posted by DorBink View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to get under the car again to confirm the number of Cats. Is 1 Cat post turbo legal in the state of Texas?

I'm not planning on doing any other Mods and the guy didn't change the uppipe out so I'm confident the issue is not there.
    idk what the laws are like in texas, im sure you could find it on the web somewhere, but you'd have 1 pre turbo, then with 1 post turbo i'm sure ur good. thats 2 for 3. otherwise idk. im sure some texas members here would know. MN lets anything fly
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.