just got hold of a 09 wrx ...now help me out here
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on just got hold of a 09 wrx ...now help me out here within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; alright so heres the deal. my brother purchased an 09 5 door wrx. An event happen and now im left ...

Talking just got hold of a 09 wrx ...now help me out here

alright so heres the deal. my brother purchased an 09 5 door wrx. An event happen and now im left with the car for a while.

Now, i know how to drive stick as a "basic driver" but i never really got into tunning and all that before so im a little lost in terms of how i can become a better driver and get this car kickin ass.

Starting off with launching. now i know some of your are gonna want to put links to the previous threads of this but dont bother cause ive prob already read them. and in the threads i here people using the phrase, " dont let the clutch slip". what is that exaclly and what should you be doing instead. Along with launching, since the car is stock and no launch control, how high should i rev up to? and when i let go of the clutch should i just raise my foot up steady, fast? i was told by one guy that he just let the tip of the clutch to his toe and when time came he would just let slide his toe off and let it fly up on his own since its the fastest way. And while preparing to launch i notice people constantly rev their engines, whats the whole purpose of that? is it just better for your car?

Now, out of a launch and in first gear, i know some people have their launch control set up to like say 5000rpm so in a matter of seconds before they redline, theyre already in second. now i dont have launch control so say if i launched out of 3-4000 rpm, when should i bump to second cause i feel like by the time im at 4-5000 its not getting anymore power out of it and i should just shift

When shifting while racing, i know its key to get into the next gear fast as possible, and i can do that smothly from 2nd to 3rd to 4th to 5th, but from 1st to 2nd i feel a big "lurch" in the car and if i dont have any music on, I can hear it actually switch. am i not letting it out fast enough? too fast? waiting to late to shift/. too long?

now here comes the tunning part. i know theres different " stages" of parts but what does that technically mean? would a stage 1 clutch be better than a stage 2? or does it just depend on what im going for? same question for turbo. and as for an exhaust. what would be better cause i heard its best to stick to subaru parts since theyre tested for them and modified to the car needs

and with the gauges like for the turbo, what does the psi mean?

whats flat foot shifting?

Well if you got this far reading i really appreciate it. just tryna gain more knowledge and startin off just like you all did. and if you have any other info or sites you think i need feel free to let me know

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why would you do that to your brothers car?

Quote Originally Posted by Alano View Post
    Why would you do that to your brothers car?
    +1.

If you have a basic understanding of a manual transmission you should be fine driving your brother's WRX. IMO, it's always better to slip the clutch, in order to not shock the AWD system. Replacing the clutch is a lot less money than replacing a gearbox or differential, especially considering it's not really your car.

My advice, just practice with the daily driving. Practice raising the revs and getting a good launch while slightly slipping the clutch. If you treat your brother's car well, it should return the favor.

-Shadow
    Last edited by Shadow; 09-13-2009 at 02:27 PM.
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Midnight Black Pearl
    2009 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon 5MT - Dark Gray Metallic

So, what happened to your brother???
    '09 WRX 5-door Premium
    Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT

Quote Originally Posted by ridedh2 View Post

Starting off with launching. now i know some of your are gonna want to put links to the previous threads of this but dont bother cause ive prob already read them.
    thats a lie lol..with half the questions you asked you would have easily found the answers too with a simple search and a look at the stickies would have answered any of your questions.

ps..dont ever just take your foot off the clutch and let it slam into gear

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.