My First WRX 06, New to site & Need Help

This is a discussion on My First WRX 06, New to site & Need Help within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've had my WRX 06 since Dec 08 and have been loving every min. of it. Have dreamed about getting ...

My First WRX 06, New to site & Need Help

I've had my WRX 06 since Dec 08 and have been loving every min. of it. Have dreamed about getting one since I first got to the State back in 01.
    Well I guess I've riding her pretty hard because I feel like the brakes are due, and well I was looking for some advice on whether I should just swap break pads or go the whole 9 yards with rotors etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Depending on how hard you've been using your brakes the rotors might still be thick enough to be turned. If you're replacing the pads yourself you can just pop the rotors off and take them to a shop to have them machined, it's pretty cheap at most places.

That said, I don't have any experience with the stock rotors as my new to me 06 came with aftermarket slotted/cross drilled ones. Also the stock rotors may/may not stand up to aggressive aftermarket pads. Hopefully someone else here can fill in that blank.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Quote Originally Posted by kscrewva View Post
    I've had my WRX 06 since Dec 08 and have been loving every min. of it. Have dreamed about getting one since I first got to the State back in 01.
    Well I guess I've riding her pretty hard because I feel like the brakes are due, and well I was looking for some advice on whether I should just swap break pads or go the whole 9 yards with rotors etc.
    I don't have advice on the brakes, but just wanted to say hi and i was the same. wanted one since the bugeyes first came here, and recently picked up an 06 myself.
    =)

What mods are on your car? Are they significant enough to necessitate a brake upgrade? If you are stock or just mildly modded you can save yourself the $$$ so long as your rotors are still in good shape and just go with a higher quality brake pad. If you have the funds and want to go with a set of aftermarket rotors, go for it. It's a fairly easy install. While you are at it, replace the brake fuild with synthetic.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.