New member, some general subaru questions

This is a discussion on New member, some general subaru questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Hey ...been lurking around the forums for the past few days, i like it so far..no elitist ****. Just a ...

New member, some general subaru questions

Hey ...been lurking around the forums for the past few days, i like it so far..no elitist ****. Just a few general questions...im thinking about possibly buying an impreza (prob first gen due to lack of money ) Ive never driven a subaru before, but was in a friends sti once...was sex. Ive been a honda guy for years, and own a 95 civic dx, a 93 integra before that. Hondas are great cars but i have no luck with them...nothing but problems. Are subarus reliable? Are they easy to work on? And do they have good low end torque? (my 1.5 civic has like 3tq and frustrates me to no end going up all the hills in pa/wv) Im considering the 2.0 or 2.5 liter imprezas. Thanks

Im considering switching to a subaru because A. Possibly more reliable/more low end torque B. AWD C. More mature machine than the 9846512 little kids driving around ricer hondas everywhere

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you want some low end torque get a diesel.... 4 cyl motors are in general higher end producers... Now mind you that the boxer 4 cyl has the tendency to be very torque it still doesn't produce max power until it gets higher in the rpms... Im not sure about the 2.0's but i know that the 2.5's get high torque before 4 and the 09's get peak at 2800-3000 (not sure if its the same with other years)... and to compare my old 2000 prelude didnt hit peak until 5300 ish

Since your on a tight budget you will be looking at a 2.0 more then likely...

And to be honest, if your going to modify the car at all your probably going to have more fun with a honda on a low budget then a subaru...

Like you said there all those people out there with hondas more then with subarus.. That creates a huge after market support culture... this generates lots of parts and some cheap and some not... Your not going to have that kind of backing with Subaru...

As with reliability... It isnt going to be like a honda... Subarus can be very picky and fussy ... Its really going to come down to how the car was treated in the past... Subarus can have a brand new motor replaced right after driving off the lot or go for well over 200k... subaru has a pretty wide spectrum with a reliability... Its really going to depend on how the car was treated and cared for in the past..

Subaru is a very different beast then what you are used to... so expect that... but like you said that awd is killer... it just takes some adjustment
    Your vehicle is an extension of your skill as a driver, not a substitute for it.

Stink-Eye Mob Member #21
    08+ Gauge install DIY
    Turn off your seat belt chime

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by levi02201 View Post
    Hey ...been lurking around the forums for the past few days, i like it so far..no elitist ****.
    Welcome but please don't use language that engages the swear filter (****). We keep the forum PG-13 or milder so that anyone can log on from any computer -- work, home, etc.

Hondas are great cars but i have no luck with them...nothing but problems. Are subarus reliable?
    Hondas are generally more reliable than Subarus. There are those that say Honda is the best motor maker in the world, for example. I think you've run across a universal truth that many either keep secret or don't want to think about: the best people at making a specific car are the manufacturers of that car. Hondas are best made by Honda, Subarus by Subaru. The more a car is modified with unauthorized parts or aftermarket parts, it becomes likely that reliability will drop. Leave them alone and they tend to run a long time.

Are they easy to work on?
    Generally, yes.

And do they have good low end torque?
    Again generally, yes, but the Imprezas are not light cars either.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.