Newbie needs advice with purcahse of a used '08 STi

This is a discussion on Newbie needs advice with purcahse of a used '08 STi within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I've wanted an STi for some time. I found an '08 for a good price at a dealer. The engine ...

Newbie needs advice with purcahse of a used '08 STi

I've wanted an STi for some time. I found an '08 for a good price at a dealer. The engine has been replaced. Price seems good at $28k.

Much of the chatter involves looking at the build date, but because this STi has the rebuilt engine I need different advice....

What advice can I get from those who have had theirs rebuilt?? How can I get more comfortable with proceeding with the purchase.. BTW: I would plan to use it as a daily driver - with use on track days and autocross with a local club (unless I'm being stupid to buy one with a replacement engine).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well to me a newer car like that, with a replaced engine already tells me stay away. But I havent looked into 08 sti at all so i dont know if there was a problem with 08 engines. I would talk to the dealer and ask why it was replaced. Also I would want to have someone look at the car other then the dealer to make sure there is nothing else wrong.

There was an engine recall with the 08 STi with an early manufacture date (note sure what time frame though) similar to the issues that the 09 WRX's are having. so, that being said, get a vehicle history to see when the engine was replaced. More than likey it was due to the recall nd not due to the driver. Although, STi's weren't made to be driven like a rolls royce and you can gaurantee that any used STi, modded or not, was driven hard at some point.

I've bought a used 05 STi before and had zero issues with it. You should be in the clear cause the car still has the manfacturers warranty. Rememeber though, late last year the 08 STi's (non BBS and without navi) sold for $28K brand new off the lots.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Thanks for the info..

I'm surprised STi's were selling for $28K new in 08... was that the impact of the economic disaster or the engine issues or the combo?? And do you think an "08 with a replacement engine is a bad deal??

Also, do you know the real prices for new '09s? thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by car_guy View Post
    I'm surprised STi's were selling for $28K new in 08... was that the impact of the economic disaster or the engine issues or the combo?? And do you think an "08 with a replacement engine is a bad deal??

If you want to purchase a new 09 STi do not pay a cent more than $34,000. Seriously that leaves them about a five hundred dollar profit off the sale at that price and they are not going to give the car away for free. But thats assuming you get the STi without BBS or Navi
    Defi Imperial Boost Guage,Tim Bailey Tuned,Cobb catted DP, Borla CBE, GT Spec 4 point H brace. 18x8.5 Enkei PF01s, Kartboy Engine Pitch Stopper. Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings. Rallitek 25mm FSB, Rallitek 22mm RSB, Rallitek HD endlinks.
    "Can you imagine the eThug power you'll be able to wield as you type messages of death to JDM hating domestic car enthusiasts?"-TiC

I think it was more or less the fact that the new body style was hated, and it didn't have the performance feel that the pre-08's had. Pus the 09's comming on the lot.

I'm sure the economy had a little something to do with it but not as much as other reasons.

I don't think that an 08 with a replacement engine is bad at all. Hell, it's a new engine.
    Bugeye Mafia #231 - 2002 WRB - sold Dec 31, 2009
    -Stink-Eye Mob- #173 - 2008 SWP - Returned to TD04 Stage 2 in Jan 2012
    Frmr Blobeye Syndicate #173 - 2005 CGM -sold Sept 15, 2008. I miss my STi
    Proud owner of 99 RS coupe with EJ205 engine and tranny swap.

Quote Originally Posted by cj05 View Post
    i think it was more or less the fact that the new body style was hated, and it didn't have the performance feel that the pre-08's had. Pus the 09's comming on the lot.

I'm sure the economy had a little something to do with it but not as much as other reasons.

I don't think that an 08 with a replacement engine is bad at all. Hell, it's a new engine.
    +1
    Defi Imperial Boost Guage,Tim Bailey Tuned,Cobb catted DP, Borla CBE, GT Spec 4 point H brace. 18x8.5 Enkei PF01s, Kartboy Engine Pitch Stopper. Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings. Rallitek 25mm FSB, Rallitek 22mm RSB, Rallitek HD endlinks.
    "Can you imagine the eThug power you'll be able to wield as you type messages of death to JDM hating domestic car enthusiasts?"-TiC

Long block vs. short block as the replacement engine

Thanks to Fly'n Brian and CJ05!!!

I've scouring the web to find more about the engine issues... Many comments to those having to get the engine replaced is: Make sure you get the long block as a replacement..
    Does anyone know how critical an issue this is?? And why??

As a newbie, this Forum has been very helpful in a short period of time... I don't want to let my STi get away.. if it makes sense to buy it.

I've wanted an STi for some time. I found an '08 for a good price at a dealer. The engine has been replaced. Price seems good at $28k.

I don't know where you are located, but check out this guys STi if you are on the east coast. He's a cool guy, and he needs to buy a house. His STi is in awesome condition, stock (except the rally armor mudflaps he installed), has BBS rims and NAVI and only has 10k miles on it. He's asking 27,500. It is located in MA. I'd buy it if I could, but I couldn't get a private party loan for it.

FSMA) 2008 Aspen White STi w/BBS & Nav - NASIOC

Foxfire... thanks.. I am on the East Coast.. Westchester County,NY. I'll look closer.

Are you financing? Or paying cash? I would take a look at a brand new car. You might be able to land the same monthly payment for a new car since the finance rate would be a lot lower.