considering an 04 wrx...any advice???

This is a discussion on considering an 04 wrx...any advice??? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; so i just sold my 04 jetta GLI and think i want a WRX. ive heard nothing but good things, ...

considering an 04 wrx...any advice???

so i just sold my 04 jetta GLI and think i want a WRX. ive heard nothing but good things, but i dont know much about them other than that. i found this one on auto trader:

2004 Subaru Impreza in LITHIA SPRINGS , GA 30122: Sedan Details - 265760468 - AutoTrader.com

any advice on what to be aware of, or to look for when buying one of these used?

any constructive help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That wrx looks like it has had a lot of mods done to it. IMO stay away.
    The miles aren't bad but the price is a little high. I would continue looking for a more stock wrx with a clean history and all maintenance up to date, and preferably a single owner, less chance you have of buying someone elses problem.
    I am totally jealous of the sunroof though.
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

I definitely wouldn't buy it. You don't want to find a car with gauges, modded engine bay. You might end up with a lot of headaches if you do purchase the vehicle. And yea, the price is quite high for a private seller for 52k miles on it. Keep searching and be meticulous. GL
    FREEEEDOMMM!!!!!

2000 FBP Civic SI - stolen/sold
    2005 PSM WRX - current

Thumbs up not a bad idea...

its evidently impossible to find a stock wrx for around 13k in black near charlotte nc. that was the best i could find...but i was thinking the same thing...i wasnt too stoked on all the mods and how he had it lowered...i was just looking for a frame of reference from some of you guys that new more about this stuff than i. thanks for the replys...

Quote Originally Posted by destructeaux View Post
    its evidently impossible to find a stock wrx for around 13k in black near charlotte nc. that was the best i could find...but i was thinking the same thing...i wasnt too stoked on all the mods and how he had it lowered...i was just looking for a frame of reference from some of you guys that new more about this stuff than i. thanks for the replys...
    If you are really looking for a specific car you need to be willing to drive a little to get it or wait until one falls in your lap. I could not find any wrx's I liked in my area and already waited nearly 3 months for one locally to pop up back when I was buying, so I ended up driving like 5 hours to Chicago from Cincinnati to pick my 04 wrx up. But the downside is you can't conveniently go and look at the car in person and test drive it. Keep looking man, there are many nice cars out their you just have to really search for them
    2004 PSM WRX VF39'd and loving it.
    1979 Camaro Z28 383 stroker
    1993 Silverado 6.5 TD "Old Smokey"
    1974 Honda CB750 cafe racer project
    blObeye SYNDICATE #88
    "In art, as in love, instinct is enough."

My suggestion, based on my own experience, is that whatever WRX you think about buying, get a compression test done. I didn't and it's coming back to bite me now.

I bought an 03 WRX with 46,000 on it, and it's been in the shop for over a week now getting a cracked piston replaced. If I'd done a compression test on it like I should have, I likely would have discovered low compression in that cylinder and would have been able to keep looking for another car. But I didn't, and so here I am, stuck with this car and all its problems.