New from New Hampshire

This is a discussion on New from New Hampshire within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; hey everyone, my name is travis and im looking to learn a bit more about wrx's since i will probably ...

New from New Hampshire

hey everyone, my name is travis and im looking to learn a bit more about wrx's since i will probably be buying one in a month. i want a black wrx, preferably an STI. i was thinking anytihng from a 2004 and up. What are some easy to do mods with these? I wouldnt really do anything crazy with this because I already have a fully built trubo honda. I would definitly do an I/H/E setup, upgrade to a FMIC, get a regular impreza hood, get rid of the wing and a few other misc things. So please feel free to point me into the right direction.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    STi cars were not available before 2004 in the US. I own a black WRX and would buy anything except black. Subaru paint is horrific.

The car responds better to fueling and timing than directly to boost, and is best modified from the wheels up. You'll almost certainly need to replace whatever summers are on there, and if you are not sold the car with winters if your climate has snow or is very cold I'd look into that first. Then I'd check that the pads are OK - the stock brakes are more than adequate but the parts are co$tly. The rear dampers can get thumpy, it's a common fault or trait (it's a fault if you're paying, it's a trait if you ask the dealer to pay sometimes...). Leave the motor alone until you can read the sticky threads on each of the fora here and/or you've sorted the car first. Enjoy, welcome.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Hey, thanks for the info!

I was looking around at some photos and noticed a few front ends that looked quite a bit different than stock. I am looking to spend between 6 and 10k, i may go a little higher but id rather not. I know subaru paint isnt that great. My dad owns an auto body shop that i work full time at. So paint wont be an issue. it also helps that i am a car detailer. I was looking at some EVO's (im sure you subie owners have beef with them), and their interiors are very nice.

Being a honda owner i guess i shouldnt like either subaru's or mitsubishis but i have a very unbiased opinion on them both.

And what front end is that? I really like it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by neonxiii View Post
    I was looking at some EVO's (im sure you subie owners have beef with them)
    No. These are all mass-produced Japanese cars. It's not worth getting upset.

, and their interiors are very nice.
    I think the ergonomics of the Impreza interior are better but it's personal choice.

Being a honda owner i guess i shouldnt like either subaru's or mitsubishis
    I own a Subaru and a Honda right now, plus two other cars, and have owned a Mitsu in the past. They're just cars.

And what front end is that? I really like it.
    That is not an Impreza. That's a Legacy. It's larger both inside and out, and would make a better choice IMO if you want a 4-door car. However, they are more expensive since they are generally newer. Until 2008 the Impreza and Legacy were separate chassis; after that though the Impreza used a shorter Legacy-esque chassis, with changes in the rear end setup compared to earlier cars.

Since you're set up for body work you might get lucky and find some relatively nice wreck - something with no modifications at all but an owner that ran out of luck or real estate (this is how James Bond bought his Bentley, some rich guy had wrecked it and he had it rebuilt and painted battleship gray). If you're buying an intact car look for a full service history since new and again, authentic Subaru parts used throughout.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 08-15-2009 at 02:22 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.