installment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on installment within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; I just purchased a 09 wrx 5 door, and im planning to get myself a cobb turbo back exhaust system. ...

installment

I just purchased a 09 wrx 5 door, and im planning to get myself a cobb turbo back exhaust system. I have no experience with mechanical stuff so im going to need to get it done by a professional. Where would be the best place to get it done at, or where do you guys get your cars fixed up at? Would a local Sears mechanical shop be good? I also live around Anaheim so if anyone can throw in a specific shop would be nice as well. Also is it required or recommended to get it tuned after getting it all installed?

THanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ootuoykcuhp21 View Post
    Where would be the best place to get it done at
    if you cant do it yourself, then i would take it to a shop that specializes in subarus, AWD cars, or "sporty" cars.

where do you guys get your cars fixed up at?
    my garage
    Would a local Sears mechanical shop be good?
    i would never let sears touch my car

Also is it required or recommended to get it tuned after getting it all installed?
    required

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

DUB
    You don't say where you're from, but maybe you could reach out to your local community for some help. See if one or two people with some experience and know-how will come help you install it on a Saturday and you supply the beer and pizza. Not only will your parts get installed right, but you will learn a thing or two in the process.

If you must take it somewhere, like Dez said, take it to a "tuner garage". Someplace that specialized in aftermarket modifications.

Sears?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I also live around Anaheim
    Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    You don't say where you're from, but maybe you could reach out to your local community for some help.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    cobb turbo back exhaust system... Would a local Sears mechanical shop be good?... live around Anaheim
    A turboback exhaust system is illegal anywhere in the US. In CA, you will not pass smog (however, smog is 6 years away unless you sell the car -- but if you do sell the car, it is your responsibility, not the buyer's, to smog it before sale).

Keep all the stock parts because you or someone else will need to re-fit them for smog checking.

Sears are unlikely to do this for you since, well, it's illegal. A smaller shop might.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    doh!

thanks for the replys.
    I checked out cobbs website and from what i see in the picture and what i've read, it includes the down pipe and the exhaust.
    CobbTuning.com - SS 3" Turbo-back Exhaust
    I thought downpipes are legal in the states.
    Also if i purchase cobbs accessport, would that do the tuning for me or would i still need to get it tuned by a professional?
    sorry if these are no brainer questions
    Last edited by ootuoykcuhp21; 08-05-2009 at 10:05 PM.

DUB
    I thought downpipes are legal in the states.
    Also if i purchase cobbs accessport, would that do the tuning for me or would i still need to get it tuned by a professional?
    sorry if these are no brainer questions
    It's not legal in any state to remove factory emissions control equipment.

You can use the AP to load an off the shelf map to your ECU. This is just a generic map that matches your mods. You can also have a pro tuner use your AP to make you a custom map, which is desirable over the OTS map, but about another $400.

I Support ClubWRX
    welcome to the site! Personally do all the work on all my cars/bikes myself so if your going to have these things done you need to find a reputable shop in your area. I would suggest looking into the local threads section of this forum and seeing what the local SOCAL scene is suggesting. Good luck and happy modding!

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX

man, ive been looking forward on adding the downpipe to my wrx, oh well i guess i save 600 bucks lol. 09 black wrx's has the worst paint job ever. i checked the car all over before i bought it and it seemed fine. but ive noticed how bad it was when i was giving her its first bath. You'd think they'd do a better job on a car thats over 25 grand... But performance wise, its top notch.. so much fun.

I Support ClubWRX
    Subaru's have the worst paint ever!!!!
    Fixed.

Deffinately need to wash, wax repeat keep up on the paint and it will be alright, not great but alright

DUB
    You can still get a downpipe. Were just informing you that it's illegal for road use and that you will most likely have to get in installed by a tuner shop if you can't do it yourself or can't find anyone to help.

Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    Fixed.

Deffinately need to wash, wax repeat keep up on the paint and it will be alright, not great but alright
    lol thanks. theres a spot on top of my car where it looks like someone touched it right after it got painted and another spot on the side where excess paint dripped down a few centimeters. Hopefully the dealer will get it fixed.
    Also what would you guys suggest to get rid of water spots on the windows? Ive tried Windex and invisible glass but neither worked.
    Its only illegal if you get caught. lol jk. i dont know if i can afford the additional tuning required so ill just stick with cobbs exhaust for now.

make sure you dont have a july/aug. 2008 build date before you go modding it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast