New 09 WRX Hatch Owner - Questions

This is a discussion on New 09 WRX Hatch Owner - Questions within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; So I have recently purchased a 09 WRX hatch, WR Blue. Totally awesome car, big step up in performance from ...

New 09 WRX Hatch Owner - Questions

So I have recently purchased a 09 WRX hatch, WR Blue.

Totally awesome car, big step up in performance from the MINI Cooper S I have been driving for a while.

I do have a couple quick (noob) questions:

-What are the differences between the 09 WRX Block and the WRX STI block? Do they share the same block or is the STI still running a special one?

-Does the AVCS vary intake or exhaust timing?

-Any idea on the limits of the WRX block? How far has it been pushed?

Thanks and its great to be here, seems like a great forum with lots of good info!

~ScoobyDo.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 2009ScoobyDo View Post
    So I have recently purchased a 09 WRX hatch, WR Blue.

Totally awesome car, big step up in performance from the MINI Cooper S I have been driving for a while.

I do have a couple quick (noob) questions:

-What are the differences between the 09 WRX Block and the WRX STI block? Do they share the same block or is the STI still running a special one?

-Does the AVCS vary intake or exhaust timing?

-Any idea on the limits of the WRX block? How far has it been pushed?

Thanks and its great to be here, seems like a great forum with lots of good info!

~ScoobyDo.
    Welcome to Scoobieland. Nothing personal, but just about anything is an upgrade from a Mini. Impreza "Blocks" are the same size in both.
    Intake and compression ratios are different. Why are you wanting to mod big right away?

>Why are you wanting to mod big right away?

I don't want to mod, someone just asked me what the differences were and I wasn't sure... the old STI block was a semi-closed-deck design and the WRX block was still open. I wasn't able to confirm either way by searching on this subject.

>Nothing personal, but just about anything is an upgrade from a Mini.

MINI's are good at cornering... that is where they can really hold their own against just about anything. I added a sway bar and some sticky tires and I could chase down 911's on tight New England roads any day! Acceleration was always so-so at best, but that wasn't what I bought it for.

~2009SD