Smell Issue - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is a discussion on Smell Issue within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Wow, that's a great price coming from a dealership. I bet they would have charged you another grand if you ...

Wow, that's a great price coming from a dealership. I bet they would have charged you another grand if you took to them yourself.

Take it easy on the car for a while until the new parts break in, just like it says in the manual. Don't go over 4K RPM.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Corn in Brian's Crap

I hope you have no more issues!

Everything will be okay from here on! I promise.
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    Take it easy on the car for a while until the new parts break in, just like it says in the manual. Don't go over 4K RPM.
    Will do, though I did accidentally go over 4k once on the way home from CarMax because I'm a moron and missed a shift, like a moron. Moron! It doesn't help that the loaner cars they've given me have been automatics, which kinda messes up the progress I've been making relearning to drive a manual.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMidriff View Post
    Will do, though I did accidentally go over 4k once on the way home from CarMax because I'm a moron and missed a shift, like a moron. Moron! It doesn't help that the loaner cars they've given me have been automatics, which kinda messes up the progress I've been making relearning to drive a manual.
    It's OK. Just don't make a habit of it. Actually a good variety of city and highway driving is best. I would also change the oil after maybe 1500 miles. You don't have to but maybe you get any filings out of there after the rings seat.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
    It's OK. Just don't make a habit of it. Actually a good variety of city and highway driving is best. I would also change the oil after maybe 1500 miles. You don't have to but maybe you get any filings out of there after the rings seat.
    Alright. Getting a good variety of city and highway driving won't be difficult for me, since I typically use both in my daily commute.

About oil changes, is it ok to just take it to Quick/Jiffy/OMGWereSoFast Lube, or should I take it to CarMax or a Subaru dealer? I ask because I'm used to taking my vehicles to wherever, but then again I've never really cared about any of my other vehicles as much as I care about this one. And I'm assuming that if the Subaru dealer that replaced my cracked piston put in Mobil 10W30, then that's what I should use as well?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMidriff View Post
    Alright. Getting a good variety of city and highway driving won't be difficult for me, since I typically use both in my daily commute.

About oil changes, is it ok to just take it to Quick/Jiffy/OMGWereSoFast Lube, or should I take it to CarMax or a Subaru dealer? I ask because I'm used to taking my vehicles to wherever, but then again I've never really cared about any of my other vehicles as much as I care about this one. And I'm assuming that if the Subaru dealer that replaced my cracked piston put in Mobil 10W30, then that's what I should use as well?
    That's fine. Just make sure they actually put oil in it. lol.

I use 5W-30.

Anyway, back to the issue that started this thread: that of smell.

I'm still getting the same smell whenever I park the car after driving around for a bit. I had hoped that with all the jacking around they had to do with the engine to replace the piston, this original issue would have just sorted itself out. No such luck, I guess.

But, there's a new wrinkle:

I was out running some errands this afternoon, and I was curious test out the difference in performance with the AC on vs the AC off. I drove around a bit with the AC off, but then I thought, "Holy damn it's hot! I gotta get some AC going in here." When I first turned on the AC, I got that same smell coming in through the vents. It didn't last for more than a second or two, but it was definitely there, and it was definitely the same smell. So, I'm thinking if there is an issue here at all, it has something to do with the AC.

Any ideas?

Hey, I dont know if this might help. I saw you mentioned about temps going all over the place, etc, etc.

You might want to take your car for C02 testing. The headgsket might be on the way out. The funny smell and crazy temps could be a result of this. It is better to catch it before it's too late.

I might be wrong though...

EDIT, I am blonde. Didnt see your service post.

For crying out loud

Seeing as how this was the last day of the extra 30-day warranty Carmax gave me, I took it in to their shop to have them try one more time to figure out what was causing the smell.

They just called back to say that they found oil and coolant leaking around the head gasket.

For. ****s. Sake.

It's back at the Subaru dealer. Mr. Carmax told me the Subaru dealer that fixed the cracked piston will cover the repairs under their 12-month service warranty, so it looks like I won't be out any money. Still though...what the crappin' hell?!

Aside from the missed shift that I mentioned earlier, I never got this thing over 4k RPM. The 1000-mile break-in period just ended yesterday, in fact. Since then, I've gotten it over about 5k RPM all of twice. I'm not racing this thing, I'm just driving it to the store and back for crying out loud. Sure sure, I like to feel the acceleration sometimes, but you don't even have to get it above 4k RPM to feel that on a 40 MPH road.

Maybe this time they'll replace the head gasket with something other than glass or paper.

****!

"Supreme Subaphile Extraordinairre" ninefourteener's Avatar
    I just read this whole thread... and I must admit, even I'M pissed off... I don't know how you're so calm.

Truthfully.... with all the problems you've had..... I'd wait until it's running correctly...... and then lose the thing.... sell it, trade it in.... whatever.

Not sure how many miles it has on it.... but it was obviously abused. Just because only 1 piston was damaged, doesn't mean that the other 3 aren't on their last leg.

Oh yea.... and I wonder what kind of condition the tranny was in after all that abuse??

And you're warrantee is expired now??

That car sounds like a money pit... and I'd be trading that thing in this afternoon..... or sooner.
    2006 Subaru WRX-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/165158-ninfourteeners-progress-thread-pics.html
    1978 Subaru BRAT-Thread: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ss-thread.html
    2007 Subaru B9Tribeca Ltd (PSM)........1994 Subaru SVX LSi(SOLD)
    WRX 12 sec drag (vs. late model Camaro SS):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw0vWdD2cjU
    WRX track racing (catching a stg.2 WRX): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mELeSD1Mi08
    Co-Founder/retired Admin-www.slcsubaru.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.