Smell Issue - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Smell Issue within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Originally Posted by midntbluewrxc3 So did they replace the ignition coil? Mine threw a CEL yesterday and I cleared it ...

Quote Originally Posted by midntbluewrxc3 View Post
    So did they replace the ignition coil? Mine threw a CEL yesterday and I cleared it again.
    They said they replaced it, and it had to sit in their shop for a day or two while they got the part in, so I'm hoping they actually replaced it instead of just clearing the code. I'll find out soon enough if the CEL comes back on, I guess.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well that didn't take long...

*sigh*

So I started my WRX this morning, and it was idling really rough. Then, the CEL started flashing. I turned it off, restarted, and the CEL was on solid. Drove it to Autozone to have them check the code, and it's P0302, cylinder 2 misfire, again.

To add insult to injury, the AC seems to have gone out as well. Looks like it's time for another trip to CarMax.

Sucks. Might want to take it to a Subaru dealership just for a estimate. At least then you might have someone knowledgable in Subies find out whats wrong and then take it back to Carmax for repair. I doubt Carmax mechanics are that solid (but I could be wrong).
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

FML Again

So I'm driving along today, and I notice that in addition to having a CEL, my temperature gauge is all the way up to "OMFG I AM SO FREAKING HOT OUCH OUCH OUCH" I think, "Oh ****!" and immediately slow down as much as I can (I'm on the highway when this happened), and turn off the AC. I limp along until I can pull into a parking lot and turn the car off. I let it rest for a bit, and then start it... the temperature gauge seems fine at idle. So I decide to head back to my hotel.

On the way back to the hotel, the temperature gauge is going nuts out of its mind. Sometimes it's fine, other times its up as high as it can go. I can sometimes seem to coax it down a little by driving gingerly, but over all it seems to have a mind of its own.

So here I am in Tulsa, 100 miles away from my home in Oklahoma City, with a car just out of the shop that may or may not be melting itself.
    Last edited by UncleMidriff; 08-13-2009 at 08:39 PM.

DUB
    You said you have a 30 day warranty from CarMax. Can you just return it to CarMax for a refund inside that 30 days? Because I would do that if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    You said you have a 30 day warranty from CarMax. Can you just return it to CarMax for a refund inside that 30 days? Because I would do that if you can.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. After you buy a car from CarMax, you get a 5-day period during which you can return it no questions asked. You also get a separate 30-day warranty period during which they fix most anything that goes wrong with it for free.

Their 30-day warranty does include some text that says that, at their sole discretion, they can take the car back and give the customer a refund.

So, I'm stuck with this turd unless CarMax, out of the goodness of their hearts, decides to take it back from me and give me a refund. At this point, I don't really care either way. If they can fix it, then great. If not, though, I'd be happy for them to take it back. Somehow I doubt they'll do that though.

On a related note, I finally got the title and other paperwork in the mail from CarMax. The title indicates that this car only had one previous owner, which I knew from the Carfax report I ran on it back when I was trying to decide whether or not to purchase it. The title lists the name and address of the previous owner.

After a little work on Google, I found an email address for the previous owner. I've sent him an email politely asking for a little bit of history on the car. I made sure to stress that I understand that the issues I'm having are between me and CarMax, and not between me and him...I don't want him to feel like I'm trying to blame him for the troubles I'm having, because I really do understand that none of this is his fault. I'm honestly hoping he replies back saying something like,

"Yeah, man, I was barely able to drive that car to CarMax to sell it. That car was a total piece of crap. I told the CarMax people all about all the engine problems it had."

That way, I'd be able to go to CarMax and say, "Listen, I know you all just washed this thing and slapped a 'MaxWorthy' sticker on it and hoped no one would notice. So, how about you just give me my money back and we all forget this ever happened."

I realize the chances of things working out that way are slim...but a guy can hope, can't he?

Flirty User That's Younger Than the Chunks of Corn in Brian's Crap

Some of your issues sound like mine, however I don't think we have the same problem. Sorry for you luck, man. You really can't go back and say look, this is too much for it to be going wrong within the 30 days after you've checked it thoroughly?
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

Quote Originally Posted by WRXie View Post
    You really can't go back and say look, this is too much for it to be going wrong within the 30 days after you've checked it thoroughly?
    The CarMax service department opens at 7:30 tomorrow, and I plan to be on the phone with them at 7:30. I'll plead my case as best I can, but I'll be damned surprised if they give me a refund.

Have you heard anything back from the original owner? Not trying to put the blame on someone, but that's an awful lot of things to be going wrong. He must have done something.
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

Cracked Piston

Still haven't heard anything from the original owner. That disappoints me, but I can't say that I blame him. I might not want to get involved in this sort of thing if I were in his shoes.

I did however, get a call back from CarMax. They sent the car to a Subaru dealer to see what the heck the problem was.

Diagnosis: Cracked #2 piston.

Oi.

Does this sound consistent with the problems I've been having? Some guys at work are saying that the overheating would have caused the cracked piston, not the other way around. So, if that's the case, it's great that they're going to replace the piston, but what was causing the car to overheat and that piston to misfire in the first place?

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do now. CarMax has been good to me so far, fixing all of these problems for free, and they're extending my 30 day warranty, but I just don't really know what to do next.

I did drive it when it was over heating, but not much, and the temperature gauge was acting so erratically, I didn't really know whether to believe it or not. I feel bad if I did this to the car, but it has had misfire problems in cylinder 2 all along, and it did start overheating pretty much just after I got it back from CarMax for the first CEL (for the cylinder 2 misfire).

Oi.

Oi.

Oi, indeed...
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

I'm sorry. ... I don't know what to tell you.
    2002 WRX Yellow Blaze

Bugeye Mafia #216

High Mileage Club

Quote Originally Posted by WRXie View Post
    I'm sorry. ... I don't know what to tell you.
    "Everything will be just fine. They'll replace the cracked piston with a shiny new one and everything will be wonderful. And since you've been driving around with a cracked piston all this time, when you get it back, the driving experience will be mind-blowingly better than before" would help.

Seriously, though, I understand that a cracked piston indicates a serious issue with the engine. It likely indicates that the previous owner drove the piss out of it, which is generally bad.

That said, is it even conceivable that they'll replace the piston and everything will be more-or-less ok? Or is this the type of thing where, once you get a cracked piston, it's pretty much over for the car?

I'm not sure I really want to know the answer to that question, but go ahead; I'll brace myself.

Well, I got my car back yesterday, after about a week and a half in the shop.

Here's a list of what they did to it, from the dealership's (the one CarMax sent it to, not CarMax) receipt
    (this is all quoted as I'm not sure I could paraphrase it without screwing it up):

MISC Replaced #2 & #4 Piston. Resurfaced Head.

1 Ring Set-Piston
    1 Piston Set
    1 Gasket Cylinder Head
    2 Gasket Intake Manifold
    2 EXH Manifold Gasket
    2 GSKT Rocker Cover No 20
    1 Gasket Rocker Cover LH
    5 Washer Rocker Cover
    1 Coolant
    1 Elem CP Oil Filter
    1 Gasket
    5 10W30 Mobil Oil
    3 Guide Timing Belt
    6 Bolt Socket

Total cost from CarMax, including labor, parts, and towing: $1986.57

Total amount I paid: $0

Does this all seems reasonable to you all? I'm not sure what half of the stuff on that list even means, so any help you all could provide in explaining it would be much appreciated, especially if something seems odd enough that I should give them a call about it.

So far, the car runs fine, and I'm glad to have it back. We'll see how it treats me over the next 30 days (that's how much CarMax has extended the original free 30-day warranty).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.