WRX as a DD. Anyone help with a few questions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX as a DD. Anyone help with a few questions? within the New Member Hangout forums, part of the Community - Meet other Enthusiasts category; Nice forum you guys have here. I read all the FAQs and some archived threads, but I was hoping you ...

WRX as a DD. Anyone help with a few questions?

Nice forum you guys have here. I read all the FAQs and some archived threads, but I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out a bit as well. I've been in the Honda and BMW scenes for years now. I have an M3, and my daily driver is an Integra GS-R. It's getting up there with 212K on the clock, time to move on. I dig Subeys, but I know next to nothing about them.

The next logical step for me would really be an RSX-S. My girlfriend has one and i'm very familiar with them. Though, I like the idea of picking up a WRX for a DD. I am, however, apprehensive about buying a used car that i'm completely unfamiliar with and learning a new platform.

This is a DD, so my budget is limited. I'll have about $8K to work with when the GS-R goes. I plan on having to wait another 2 weeks or so until i've got $9K before i'm in a position to buy. But I really don't want to go over $10K on a DD. This puts me looking at bug eyes with around 100K or a bit more on them from what I can see. Any comments on what kind of WRX my budget affords me? Complete dogs, or something worth owning?

Questions:
    -What common weak points (besides the tranny) should I be taking care of as preventative maintenance after buying one of these?

-Does anyone have pictures or layout drawings of the engine bay, suspension set-up, drivetrain, etc., so I can have a better idea of what i'm looking at?

-Has anyone experimented with mods and an EMS to raise the boost threshold to increase fuel economy a bit, letting you stay out of boost easier?

-Any general advice you want to throw my way, or opinions of daily driving the car?

Thanks in advance.

-Nick
    Last edited by fiveightandten; 08-01-2009 at 09:12 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    for 10k, you're going to be able to get an 02/03 with anywhere between 60 and 90k miles probably.

with these types of cars its cruicial that whatever you look at is stock or close to stock. a previous owner could have modded it, not knowing what they were doing- resulting in a car that may run fine now but could have problems down the road.

as far as modding to increase boost, i think 95% of the forum has some sort of engine mods done to their car.

i have a "stage 2" set up which consists of a downpipe, catback exhaust & a tune. i'm making 241whp & 272 wtq, yet maintaining about 27 CITY mpg.

to learn more about modding & other things, read this:

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

96% haha

u can find a decent bugeye for that price range. once u find one that u like show us some pics and we will tell u if its modded. one thing to look for is if the car has the turbo heatshield on. alot of people who mod theres cars and return them back to stock forget or dont have them. oh and welcome to the club!
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #898Military Milita #898

AP stage 2 93 oct. maddad DP. SPT short ram intake,SPT intake heat shield,HKS carbon fiber catback,boost,MAF,volt gauges,STI springs, pioneer flip screen headunit, polk audio speakers, vortex generator,STI wing,rally armor UR flaps

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcoolguy_ryan View Post
    96% haha
    why are you laughing at my statistics?!

desiree

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    for 10k, you're going to be able to get an 02/03 with anywhere between 60 and 90k miles probably.

with these types of cars its cruicial that whatever you look at is stock or close to stock. a previous owner could have modded it, not knowing what they were doing- resulting in a car that may run fine now but could have problems down the road.

as far as modding to increase boost, i think 95% of the forum has some sort of engine mods done to their car.

i have a "stage 2" set up which consists of a downpipe, catback exhaust & a tune. i'm making 241whp & 272 wtq, yet maintaining about 27 CITY mpg.

to learn more about modding & other things, read this:

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, i've been through Unibomber's thread. That's a fantastic resource. Sounds like you're making some pretty respectable numbers with nice mileage. Though I guess I could've worded things better. I was curious about increasing boost *threshold*, not just increasing boost.

Ie. If the stock car spools up near full boost around, say, 3000 RPM...modding it so it won't spool up until, say, 4000 RPM. So the power is still there, but you can stay out of boost when you want to in order to save on fuel a bit. I'm not sure if that would even make sense, as it's counterproductive to what most people would want. But coming from a Honda that's doing 30+ MPG, i'll be looking to squeeze out everything I can get.

Interesting that you guys say not to buy a modded car. I suppose it makes sense. But in the BMW world, for instance, it's always better to buy an enthusiast-driven car that's been driven hard but maintained...over a car that's been driven by grandma to church, but hasn't had lots of preventative maintenance.

Anyways? I haven't seen any scans from service manuals or anything like that. I look at the engine bay of a turbo flat 4 and it's looks completely foreign to me. Are there any layout diagrams from service manuals floating around? Engine bay, suspension, drivetrain? What service books are most of you guys using?
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderboy987 View Post
    u can find a decent bugeye for that price range. once u find one that u like show us some pics and we will tell u if its modded. one thing to look for is if the car has the turbo heatshield on. alot of people who mod theres cars and return them back to stock forget or dont have them. oh and welcome to the club!
    Thanks man. Yeah...I think i'm going to go take a look at these this week to get a feel for what a sub-10K WRX looks like. Opening my budget up to $11K seems to open up the possibility of tons more cars that look a lot better but are tagged at $10,999 (lots of them). I figure if I have 10K cash to work with, I have a chance of snagging one. But not with 9K in my pocket. For now though, this is what i'd be looking at in my area. Not too promising...

I'm assuming this one will have been modded (or hit from the rear) due to the de-badged liftback. Pics are terrible and it looks like a ****tty little indie dealer, but worth looking into I suppose.
    Cars.com:

Another little indie dealer. Catback, aftermarket (ugly, BTW) wheels, and more miles than I care for. But again, worth driving for some experience I guess.
    Cars.com:

What's up with the leather in this one? I wasn't aware they came with leather, besides bolting 92x seats into the car.
    2002 Subaru Impreza in West Springfield, MA 01089: Sedan Details - 263255188 - AutoTrader.com

And last but not least...the type of car that I don't want to wind up buying.
    2003 Subaru Impreza in Fishkill, NY 12524: Sedan Details - 263469522 - AutoTrader.com

I Support ClubWRX
    the silver wagon one looks okay. i dont think its fair to say that it's been hit just because its debadged. a ton of people take badges off just for the hell of it.

another thing to note though- it has 06 wrx seats in it. i cant tell from the picture but they're either TR seats or just regular wrx seats. either way- i'm pretty sure that switching the seats disables the airbags.

desiree

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    the silver wagon one looks okay. i dont think its fair to say that it's been hit just because its debadged. a ton of people take badges off just for the hell of it.

another thing to note though- it has 06 wrx seats in it. i cant tell from the picture but they're either TR seats or just regular wrx seats. either way- i'm pretty sure that switching the seats disables the airbags.
    Yeah, i'd be more under the assumption that it was enthusiast driven and debadged, as opposed to being hit. But it's possible. A quick look at the VIN tag on the liftback would tell that.

'06 seats you say? I wouldn't have picked up on that, thank for the heads up. So, i'm assuming the car has side airbags and the seat sensors aren't compatible between years(?). Thanks again for the info.

Hey Man! I saw a bunch of your posts on M3F back when I was still deciding between a used m3 and shelling out for a new wrx. Long story short, I got an 09 WRX.

I think that a used WRX would be a great daily driver, and from reading your posts about your m3, I'm sure you'd pick up on the subaru peculiarities faster than most.

Good luck in your search, and I definitely think you've come to the right place. Its been soo much help to me so far.

PS Your hellrot m3 was HOT, and it seemed like you really did things right with that car.

if you can wait and be patient, you can find an 04-05 for that price range, but. you gotta really LOOK for it. I lucked out like crazy because the guy I bought it from needed money for a trip, so I brought down the price from my 05 from 12,700 to 10k and it has 69k miles.
    FREEEEDOMMM!!!!!

2000 FBP Civic SI - stolen/sold
    2005 PSM WRX - current

Quote Originally Posted by dur4ce View Post
    Hey Man! I saw a bunch of your posts on M3F back when I was still deciding between a used m3 and shelling out for a new wrx. Long story short, I got an 09 WRX.

I think that a used WRX would be a great daily driver, and from reading your posts about your m3, I'm sure you'd pick up on the subaru peculiarities faster than most.

Good luck in your search, and I definitely think you've come to the right place. Its been soo much help to me so far.

PS Your hellrot m3 was HOT, and it seemed like you really did things right with that car.
    Hey there, congrats on the car. It sounds awesome, but obviously way out of my price range. Great you found something you're happy with.

Yeah, learning a turbo platform is a little intimidating. But i'm sure i'll pick up on it sooner or later.

The M3 is still around. I've been AutoX'ing the car and did a few little upgrades this summer. Just threw some Euro clears on it not too long ago...

Enough pic w***ing on the scooby forum though. My Integra is currently up for sale, so i'm starting to actively look around and test drive some WRXs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gel Mibson View Post
    if you can wait and be patient, you can find an 04-05 for that price range, but. you gotta really LOOK for it. I lucked out like crazy because the guy I bought it from needed money for a trip, so I brought down the price from my 05 from 12,700 to 10k and it has 69k miles.
    If i'm being honest, I kind of like the look of the Bugeyes (i'd like to throw an '02-'03 STi style bumper on one). What are the big differences in getting an '04-'05 car? As I understand it, they didn't switch to 2.5L and the better tranny until after that. Excuse my ignornace...i'm still learning.

Sounds like you got a nice deal on yours. I'll have cash in hand for the car, so hopefully that will give me at least a little leverage. But I worry about picking up a dogged car that's had the mods yanked off it right before the sale, and me being none the wiser. Haven't been around enough to notice those types of things. We'll see...

Thanks again.

-Nick

I Support ClubWRX
    there were transmission improvements in 03, and 06.

03 gained "RA-Width" Gears (wider)
    and 06 gained a 3.7 final gear with double synchros on first and second.

As a DD, a WRX would be great. Safer than most cars in 2002, great mileage for an AWD, our symmetrical AWD is incredible on snow / rain / dirt. (I'm from colorado, and can vouch to all 3) and there is enough power with stage 2 that you can really enjoy yourself.

Coming from an M3, the powerband is quite a bit different because of the turbo. But the subaru is similar to the M3 in that the power is produced at higher RPMs.

And there is no way to change a turbo's characteristics, but something most don't realize... you can be at 3k-4k rpms and out of boost... you just can't have your foot in the throttle. Boost is produced by exhaust gasses... exhaust gasses increase under full throttle, or with a large load. (long and complex explanation). So you'll just have to learn how to drive the subaru, and you can city drive it without ever exiting vacuum.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    there were transmission improvements in 03, and 06.

03 gained "RA-Width" Gears (wider)
    and 06 gained a 3.7 final gear with double synchros on first and second.

As a DD, a WRX would be great. Safer than most cars in 2002, great mileage for an AWD, our symmetrical AWD is incredible on snow / rain / dirt. (I'm from colorado, and can vouch to all 3) and there is enough power with stage 2 that you can really enjoy yourself.

Coming from an M3, the powerband is quite a bit different because of the turbo. But the subaru is similar to the M3 in that the power is produced at higher RPMs.

And there is no way to change a turbo's characteristics, but something most don't realize... you can be at 3k-4k rpms and out of boost... you just can't have your foot in the throttle. Boost is produced by exhaust gasses... exhaust gasses increase under full throttle, or with a large load. (long and complex explanation). So you'll just have to learn how to drive the subaru, and you can city drive it without ever exiting vacuum.
    Thanks for the input. Good stuff to know. So, basically, stay away from '02 Bugeyes. I think 1st model year of anything is always weakest. But it sounds like they made a quick decision to improve the tranny. There has to be a good reason for that.

The AWD is a decent selling point for me as i'll be DD'ing the car in New England. With respect to mileage...after doing a bit more reading, it seems people are saying the factory maps run the car pretty rich (i'm assuming for reliability). Sounds like a nice justification for some breather mods and a tune to safely lean the car out a bit and get a little power while you're at it.

Again, thanks for the info.

-Nick

I Support ClubWRX
    I forgot to mention... Up pipe HAS to be the first modification you do. In my opinion it is considered a preventative maintenance mod. The only parts that I would replace it with... Are oem 06-07 wrx or 04+ sti up pipe, or the APS or Grimmspeed. I'm a firm believer in heat shielding (4th cyl gets very hot without it) and in the flex pipe (oem has it... So your aftermarket should too IMO)

Also in regards to gas mileage. Check out my sticky "Gas Mileage FAQ". It's got a lot of good info for the turbocharged impreza owner.

An up pipe down pipe and a protune are the best mods you can do for your car. A little more power... A lot more driveability... And better gas mileage. Intakes get varying reviews. Most intakes need tuned for though. Research them. There are a few brands (hks, aem, injen, and more) that are recommended to stay away from
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I forgot to mention... Up pipe HAS to be the first modification you do. In my opinion it is considered a preventative maintenance mod. The only parts that I would replace it with... Are oem 06-07 wrx or 04+ sti up pipe, or the APS or Grimmspeed. I'm a firm believer in heat shielding (4th cyl gets very hot without it) and in the flex pipe (oem has it... So your aftermarket should too IMO)

Also in regards to gas mileage. Check out my sticky "Gas Mileage FAQ". It's got a lot of good info for the turbocharged impreza owner.

An up pipe down pipe and a protune are the best mods you can do for your car. A little more power... A lot more driveability... And better gas mileage. Intakes get varying reviews. Most intakes need tuned for though. Research them. There are a few brands (hks, aem, injen, and more) that are recommended to stay away from
    Thanks Kevin, yeah I had a chance to check out the MPG FAQ. Some good info there. Thanks for the heads up on the breather mods.

I've just been looking around for the right one. I'm pretty set on picking up a wagon, but I haven't completely ruled out the sedans if a nice one comes along. I'll tell you, the clean cars go FAST. A day or 2 at most and they're gone. I have cash in hand, and even then i'm having a hard time keeping up.

Thanks again for the replies.

-Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast